Who should stay? Who should go? 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who should stay? Who should go? 2019

Sheffield Wednesday, Grimsby, Northampton and Carlisle have kicked us off so time to get this show on the road.

Who should your club release or look to move on? Who is likely to be poached or reject a contract offer? Who's sitting comfortably for next season?

Watford are in a relatively comfortable position. Heurelho Gomes (38) and Miguel Britos (nearly 34) are the two ageing first-teamers out of contract. Gomes would likely get an extension if he wanted one but has stated that he will retire to become a priest, agent or possibly both (interchangeable skills?). He'll make the last appearance of his career in the FA Cup final. I was mildly surprised that Britos, our fourth choice centre-back under Gracia, got a one-year deal last summer. I doubt we'd have offered him a new terms, but he says he wants to return to Uruguay and have BBQs with his family anyway - fair enough.

The other semi-experienced player without a contract is another centre-back, Tommie Hoban (25). He looked a prospect when coming out of the academy and featured a fair bit in our 2015/16 promotion season but has suffered an injury ravaged four seasons - he's out now after suffering a cruciate ligament tear on loan at Aberdeen. I would expect the club to help him recover for as long as is necessary, but I can't see him getting another deal sadly. Another centre-back, Sebastian Prodl (32 this summer) has a further two years on his contract but has spent most of the season injured, playing only thirteen minutes in the league. He had an unconvincing 2017/18 too, and I'd guess the club will look to move him on, especially as consensus among the fans is centre-back the area we need to strengthen the most.

Abdoulaye Doucoure (26) was expected to leave last summer after his stand-out season, but after being linked with just about everyone he rather surprisingly signed a new contract. I don't think anyone expected him stick around beyond this season - he's still inclined to talk about his ambitions in the press and besides, the club's model is that they can offer talented players a step towards the big leagues (see Richarlison) while balancing the books at the same time. If they can't get a player that's ready out the door then that might damage their reputation to a degree. That said, he's been outshone by Etienne Capoue this season, and no-one seemed to get that close last summer.

Roberto Pereyra (28) and Gerard Deulofeu (25) are slightly different players, coming from massive clubs to be big fish in a small pond before rising again. The former has been with us three years and the latter 18 months. Neither seems to be drawing much press gossip, bar the occasional story linking them respectively to Torino (can't see why that'd interest him) and AC Milan (a former loan club). I think Pereyra drifts out of too many games to interest a big team while Deulofeu has gained a fair bit of attention for his performances this season, but still probably needs a really spectacular season to draw any interest from the big six (alternatively if Watford got relegated he could get picked up Shaqiri style). I can't see any foreign teams coming in for them - when do you ever see anyone from the continent paying the big money that's required for mid-table Premier League talent?

While most of the other pros will be starting the new season with us, some question marks hang over the future of Isaac Success (23) and Adalberto Penaranda (nearly 22). While we're very pretty around the box, there's been a fair number of games where it comes to nothing and most people seem to think we're a striker light (but then, who isn't?). Troy and Andre Gray have done enough, but Success has done very little since a few positive games in early autumn. Penaranda waited out a few seasons on loan before he got a work permit, but having arrived this summer he's had niggling injuries and has only been trusted with a start against sixth-tier Woking in the FA Cup. The fact he hasn't surfaced on the bench when any of the aforementioned strikers is out suggests there's not a great deal of faith in him. Both could depart on loan, but if they did so I doubt they'd return. Meanwhile the club has two talents in Europe who could come back to fill their boots - Dodi Lukebakio (21) has 10 goals in this season's Bundesliga playing for Dusseldorf (including a hatrick against Bayern) while Colombian Cucho (20) has spent two seasons at Huesca, the second in La Liga, waiting for a work permit - he's probably done enough now.

Otherwise, the club seem unimpressed with anyone who came through the academy prior to their shake-up of the management a year or so ago. Club media has focused on the under-18s who reached the FA Youth Cup semis and how scholars and schoolboys are being promoted up the age groups. Two strikers who do hold deals until 2020, Alex Jakubiak and Michael Folivi, have been on loan in League One, where neither have set the world on fire. They should be hoping for the good of their careers that they've done enough that a deal can be struck either with their current clubs or at ones at a similar level as further loans are just delaying the inevitable. Other than that the under-23 pool, already slashed quite significantly last summer, seems to be out of contract and I would expect the majority to be released. A few got National League loans this season and I imagine that's roughly where they'll end up.

The club have two first-team outcasts at sister club Udinese - Marvin Zeegelaar and Stefano Okaka. They've been getting game time there so I wouldn't be surprised to see those deals made permanent. There's also a variety of players the club have registered but have never formally acknowledged - they're largely on loan in the lower reaches of the Spanish league system. Some of them may be out of contract - either way I doubt we'll see any of them at Watford.

2018 edition of this thread here.

while Deulofeu has gained a fair bit of attention for his performances this season, but still probably needs a really spectacular season to draw any interest from the big six (alternatively if Watford got relegated he could get picked up Shaqiri style)

deulofeu is basically a bit brainless on the pitch isn't he? It's impressive to see a player make his way through the entire barca youth system and spanish international system without learning much about positioning, tactical awareness and decision making. It's unfortunate because if he had that, he'd definitely be playing for Barcelona. That first goal in the FA cup semi final was absolutely extraordinary, and sometimes he does things that make you wind back the tv. He kind of reminds me of the spanish Zaha, or Nani.

Comment

Gary Cahill will surely be leaving Chelsea and I think we'll all be surprised if Eden Hazard doesn't leave for Real Madrid. His brother is off to Cercle Bruges.

After that, we have to factor in the potential transfer ban and the possibility of bringing some of the loanees in from the cold. I don't think that the former will have a massive impact, partly because of the potential of the latter.

Of the current squad I wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz go, with CBs Zouma and Tomori having had good loan spells, the former a more likely recall than the latter. Mount and James have also had excellent seasons but they're both young and might be given one more year elsewhere.

Drinkwater will go unless the money he's on is too good and he wants to do a Winston Bogarde. Zappacosta doesn't get much playing time and might fancy a return to Italy.

If Sarri goes (doubt if he will) he might want to take Jorginho with him and I'm not sure if we'll hang on to Kovacic, assuming that we're allowed to.

The striker question is the biggie. Sarri wants to keep Higuain, Morata's staying in Spain for another year but are Batshuayi and Abraham good enough to join Giroud?

I can't see many of the more experienced players out on loan returning and a fair few could be sold or leave on a free. Sadly Bakayoko told Gattuso to fuck off yesterday evening so I expect he'll be back at Cobham fairly soon!

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday

It's well known that FFP is going to impact on our behaviour this summer, quite to what extent is unclear (and reading between the lines I don't think the club entirely knows), but given that we made signings in January let's assume some degree of normality.

Released

Gary Hooper - done an excellent job when he's been fit, which hasn't been often enough, but the club have evidently decided to move on
        Daniel Pudil - stalwart of the play off campaigns, faded out of the team this season
        Marco Matias - a marquee signing who scored an absolute belter at Leeds in one of his first games, since then he's been in and out, never brilliant, rarely rubbish, just.... there.
        George Boyd - possibly the slowest player I've ever seen
        David Jones - played 60-odd games for us and the only thing I can remember him doing was scoring a last minute OG at West Brom last Christmas
        Almen Abdi - don't think we used him right, but ended up downing tools and didn't play all season, complete waste of space

Offered new contract

Keiren Westwood - but will he stay? This will essentially be his last big contract and he's been linked with Huddersfield. Whoever he signs for will get a top keeper, it's noticeable that the defence as a whole is better when he plays.
        Kieran Lee - hurray, hurray, hurray, sign please. Didn't play from December 2017 to the penultimate game of this season, which may put other clubs off.
        Liam Palmer - right back who found excellent form under Bruce to the extent he made his Scotland debut (against, erm, Kazakhstan)
        Fraser Preston - pacey young winger who played a few games last autumn

Loans ending

Michael Hector (Chelsea) - been absolutely brilliant, swept the player of the year awards (rightly so, he got my vote) and Bruce has said we'd like to buy him permanently. He's got a year left on his Chelsea deal and clearly isn't going to get in their team. Nagging fear is that someone a bit higher up (WBA, Fulham) might have more money to spend on him
        Josh Onomah (Tottenham) - used wrongly by the previous manager then got injured. Clearly a good player though as he appeared for England under 21s while with us. File under "didn't see the best of him"
        Roland Aarons (Newcastle) - speedy winger who kept getting injured
        Afchraf Lazaar (Newcastle) - after his first game against Swansea many said it was the best Wednesday debut ever. Then he got injured in his second game, only made a couple more appearances and apparently refused to play the final couple of matches

Loanees returning

Jordan Rhodes (Norwich) - clearly they aren't going to sign him permanently given his peripheral contribution. Bruce tried to sign him at Villa which indicates he might want to work with him, however he remains a player we could get some useful money for
        Ben Hughes (Gainsborough) - scored a couple of goals for them, nowhere near our first team

Bruce has said he wants to slim the squad down but it does beg the question of how as we don't appear to have a lot of obviously saleable assets who could attract large bids. Adam Reach was linked with Wolves last autumn but that clearly isn't going to happen given his decline in form in the second half of the season. Someone might fancy Fernando Forestieri but he's another with a sketchy injury record. We could do with selling a keeper - if Westwood stays then Joe Wildsmith becomes the obvious next sale. Sam Winnall has never really settled and centre forward is a position where we are still overstocked. Joost van Aken is a reminder of the perils of signing from the Eredivisie - he was linked with PEC Zwolle in January. Hopefully someone will take Morgan Fox off our hands. We've got plenty of young players on the fringes of things but Jack Stobbs's career has stalled and Freddie Nielsen is nowhere near Championship standard given his age.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          deulofeu is basically a bit brainless on the pitch isn't he? It's impressive to see a player make his way through the entire barca youth system and spanish international system without learning much about positioning, tactical awareness and decision making. It's unfortunate because if he had that, he'd definitely be playing for Barcelona. That first goal in the FA cup semi final was absolutely extraordinary, and sometimes he does things that make you wind back the tv. He kind of reminds me of the spanish Zaha, or Nani.
          Well... yes, to a degree. It feels like a player of his quality shouldn't be at a club like us... but then players of his mentality can get lost at larger teams and drift out of contention, maybe he needs to be the key man to get the best out of him. He's capable of instigating some remarkable passing moves, where he falls down perhaps is choosing when to try and them and when to just burst to the by-line or take a shot. He does that thing a lot of skilled players do where they jockey on the ball a bit or take sideways before instigating something, when the absolute elite probably set off straight away. Still, quibbles for a club like us.

It'll be interesting where he plays next season. He's been playing up front this year alongside Deeney, if he carries on there and wants to move upwards he'll want to be scoring 15+ (he's got 11 so far, but seven were against Huddersfield and Cardiff). When Deeney was suspended he played up top alongside Gray and it didn't work at all, the ball just didn't stick, plus you'd assume the club will want to continue playing their captain. So if any new striker comes in could Deulofeu be shifted to the wing? It's never seemed like he's got much of a cross on him or really spreads the play (in fairness, that is also how we play). He'd presumably be wanting to cut inside a lot, so goals would probably remain the metric he's measured by.

What happened with Abdi this season, longeared? From what you said... he got injured and consensus was he didn't make much effort to come back?

EDIT: 16:09. Forgot about a couple of outcast strikers. We've managed to flog Belgium under-21 Obbi Oulare to Standard Liege. He's been on loan there this season but only played four times due to injury, so it's a bit of a punt from them - although I suspect they didn't pay much (if anything) and he only had a year left on his contract. Oulare was signed in 2015, made league cameos from the bench in the 87th and 88th minute in his first season and got a half in the FA Cup. He has spent his remaining time on a series of unsuccessful loans in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Jerome Sinclair is basically Oulare one year on - another striker signed to a five-year deal in the run-up to their 20th birthday. Signed in 2016, he at least got a few games in his first two seasons, although they were not worth the £4m we paid Liverpool at tribunal. This season he's had two mediocre loans in League One at Sunderland (who cut a season-long deal short) and Oxford. He's got two years left on his deal, would be stupid to spend the rest of it on loan but may well do so.

One more - Daniel Bachmann has spent the season starting for a successful Kilmarnock team. He probably has the choice of coming back to be our third choice once Gomes goes (we've got Swedish under-21 Pontus Dahlberg who'll step up from this year's third choice) or make that deal permanent if they can afford it. I'd be faintly disappointed if he chose the first option.
          Last edited by JM Footzee; 07-05-2019, 15:26.

Comment

Oldham

The retained list will make grim reading this year. By all accounts our better out-of-contract players don't want to stay thanks to the club's toxic atmosphere and interfering owner (and his brother, installed as sporting director).

Keepers - our first-choice, Daniel Iversen, was on loan and I'm not sure Leicester will loan him again to a League Two side. His backup, the wonderfully-named Zeus de la Paz, has looked reasonable and should be offered a new deal.

Defenders - club legend Peter Clarke looks set to leave, which is a huge blow, especially as his centre-half partner George Edmundson is our most saleable asset and is likely to move to a League One or Championship club. Jamie Stott and Tom Hamer are decent defenders still under contract. The rest should go - Rob Hunt (not performing to potential), Andy Taylor (below average) and Sonhy Sefil (execrable). Whether we can persuade anyone to take them is another matter.

Midfielders - we'll lose our two most creative players, Dan Gardner - probably to Chesterfield - and Jose Baxter. I'm not heartbroken as both appear to be on their way to the glue factory, but I doubt we'll replace them wisely. Worse for me are the likely departures of Christopher Missilou (an underrated League Two Kante/Ndidi) and Gevaro Nepomuceno (a useful attacking full-back/winger). That leaves us with unappetising leftovers: Giles Coke (why did we offer him a two-year deal?), Johan Branger-Engone (a squad player in any sane world), Mohamed Maouche (decent, but reputedly on obscene wages) and Mohamad Sylla (the jury is still out).

Forwards - basically, we don't have any. We relied on Callum Lang's goals, but he'll be back at Wigan and I reckon they'll want to loan him out to a higher level. Chris O'Grady is not getting any younger and will probably be released. Urko Vera, another awful overseas punt, should be erased from history. Jonathan "brother of Christian" Benteke has apparently been offered a new deal; presumably as we need someone to take a space on the bench.

I'm assuming we'll be left with very little first team quality. We'll need a keeper, two centre-backs, one or two full-backs, two central midfielders, a winger, and two or three strikers at a minimum. I'm not hopeful.

Comment

Zeus de la Paz

Is this better than Ulisses De La Cruz who played for Aston Villa? It's really really hard to decide.

Comment

Cambridge

The retained list is already out.

Bosman departures

Jake Carroll - signed up by Motherwell a few weeks before the end of the season.

Out of contract and released

David Forde - veteran 'keeper who lost his place in January. No suprise at all that he is moving on.
                Emmanuel Osadebe - has started one league game in two seasons, and not featured at all since January. No shock here either.
                Matthew Foy, Sam Squire and Lee Watkins - all young players who haven't broken into the team. All expected.

Loans ending

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Alex Jones, Hayden Coulson and Jake Doyle-Hayes - little chance of any of these becoming permanent, even for Jones who has been released by parent club Bradford

Out of contract and offered new deals

Gary Deegan - team captain and midfield regular. Average League Two player at best, though. If he stays, OK. If he departs, emminently replaceable.
                George Maris - decent attacking midfielder. Would be harder to find another of the same standard so hope he stays.
                Brad Hailday - regular right back. Solid enough, but not exceptional.
                David Amoo - regularish up front or on the wing. Pacy, which is handy. Another worth an offer to, but not one to be held to ransom over.
                Leon Davies - young defender (still only 19) who has been a pro for the last three seasons. Had lots of injuries this year, I think.
                Tom Knowles - spent much of his first season as a pro out on loan, little first team experience yet
                Finley Iron - as Knowles

Extension triggered

Jabo Ibhere - a real veteran these days, and not a prolific one. Just 4 league goals all season. However, the only out-and-out forward under contract so it's probably useful to have him tied to the club at least until better prospects are found.

Academy players offered deals

Sam Bennett, Joe Neal, Ben Worman - young players I know little about. and that is despite having watched one of them (Neal) playing for Royston recently. He made no impression on me.

Academy players released

Charlie Johnson, Sam Goode, Craig Foxall, Josh Jeche - know even less about these guys!

Under contract
                George Taft - regular in central defence. Worth perserving with.
                Greg Taylor - Taft's partner at the centre at the back. 200+ appearances now, dating back to non-league. Also worth sticking with.
                Liam O'Neil - a player signed for actual money two years ago. Missed the second half of this season with injury.
                Harrison Dunk - longest serving player (joined summer 2011), and still a good one. However less regularly involved this season than previously, so his time at the Abbey may be coming to it's conclusion.
                Dimitar Mitov - claimed the no.1 jersey midway through the campaign. The long term first choice.
                Harry Darling - young youth academy product. Back in the side at the end of the campaign and part of the long term planning
                Reggie Lambe - Bermudan international. Hasn't pulled up many trees since joining. Keep, unless someone offers to take him off our hands
                Jevani Brown - joint most league appearances of any player. Involved in over 40% of Cambridge's goals, close to the highest percentage in League Two. A vital member of the side.
                Paul Lewis - underwhelming since joining for money in 2017. Might move if an offer came in.
                Jorden Norville-Williams - youngster yet to feature for the 1st XI since signing at the start of the campaign. Went out on loan instead, has a big season ahead to maintain his pro career.
                Louis John - young youth academy product. Back in the side at the end of the campaign and part of the long term planning

If a basically whole new squad was signed? Wouldn't be a bad idea. This mob finished 21st in League Two, which was very disappointing.

Comment

So the retained list came out just now:

As expected, Baxter, Clarke and Gardner were released, along with Sheridan, Taylor, Uche and Vera.

We seem to be stuck with Coke, Sefil and, oddly, O'Grady (as he was announced as only having signed a one-year deal).

Options taken on Branger-Engone and Missilou are positives. In negotiations with De la Paz, Maouche (presumably to drop his wages), Nepomuceno and Benteke.

Comment

Wilder moves on at a pace -

Paul Coutts, Martin Cranie, Conor Washington, Daniel Lafferty and Caolan Lavery will all leave Bramall Lane when their current deals expire this summer.

Leon Clarke, Jake Wright, Ched Evans, Samir Carruthers, Nathan Thomas, Ben Heneghan and Ricky Holmes have all been placed on the transfer list, despite still being under contract.

Meanwhile, Dean Henderson, Kieran Dowell, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine and Marvin Johnson will all return to their parent clubs following the completion of their loan deals.

Coutts and Cranie are the tough ones, neither has put a foot wrong and Coutts in particular will always be remembered with huge respect by the fans but they both want regular football and the opportunities for that are likely to be limited next year for them at BL. Leon can go on to terrorise L1 defences again with our huge thanks. None of the other releases or listings are at all surprising, they've just been overtaken by the rise of the club. Of the returning loans we are apparently already in talks with Man Utd about Henderson, despite some dodgy internet rumours I can't see any of the others returning except perhaps Dowell if Everton deem him surplus to their requirements.

Certainly leaves plenty of room for incoming.

Comment

Shrewsbury's retained list has been published. A few gems but an awful lot of dead wood still with contracts. Some very odd choices on who has been offered new deals. Not captain Matt Sadler, though, who is on his way.

Hopefully we can shift some of the poorer players before their deals are up otherwise Super Sammy Ricketts will have a hard time improving on this year's performance.

Comment

With our season not ended yet, we have not released retained lists. However, and I'm amazed that not more was made of this, the following are out of contract at the end of the season, I've put WMG next to the players who were represented by Wasserman Media Group agency. This is the same agency that Paul Clement (who signed most of them) was represented by and sacked and sued ex CE Sam Rush used to work for before he came to Derby. In the end WMG/Rush settled out of court, as I can imagine that WMG would not have liked the publicity of alleged shady dealings coming out.

Roos
                        Bryson
                        Pearce WMG
                        Cole
                        Ambrose
                        Johnson WMG (7m)
                        Olsson WMG
                        Nugent
                        Blackman WMG (3m)
                        Butterfield WMG (6m)

With the rumoured wages for all WMG clients, I cannot see any of them being resigned. We have offered Roos as contract as he appears to be our No 1 now and Bryson on reduced terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post

Meanwhile, Dean Henderson, Kieran Dowell, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine and Marvin Johnson will all return to their parent clubs following the completion of their loan deals.

Of the returning loans we are apparently already in talks with Man Utd about Henderson, despite some dodgy internet rumours I can't see any of the others returning except perhaps Dowell if Everton deem him surplus to their requirements.
                          I misread Dean Henderson as Darius Henderson there for a minute and was very shocked to see his name attached to Man United.

Wimbledon seem to be very tardy with the retained list, perhaps from only knowing what division they'll be in since Saturday evening. The rumours seem to be we may secure one of the very successful loanees from the second half of the season who were pivotal in The Great Escape - keeper Aaron Ramsdale from Bournemouth on a new loan or left back Steve Seddon from Birmingham City, perhaps even on a permanent deal.

Comment

Cheltenham are the same - Duff said after the game on Saturday that the players had been spoken to and the list would be out early this week, yet here we are.

Comment

£6m for Butterfield!

Comment

Oxford United:

Very few important players (just the one really - see below) are out of contract this summer, but obviously we've also lost quite a few important loan players.

Out of contract and released

Charlie Raglan - I always thought he was a decent central defender, especially as back-up, but he's hardly had a sniff lately, and seems likely to join Cheltenham, where he's been on loan this season
                                Jon Obika - been injured most of this season, and though he seems a really nice bloke, really isn't up to being a striker in the third tier
                                Fiacre Kelleher - been at the club 2 years and never played for the first team. Been on loan at Macclesfield this season, so may well join them.
                                Jonte Smith - joined on a short contract from Lewes in January and only got one sub appearance.
                                Scott Shearer - back-up goalie, now supplanted by the young Jack Stevens. He's 38 now, and apparently retiring from football

None of the above is a particular disappointment to fans. Raglan the only one even worth considering keeping.

Offered new contract

Curtis Nelson - will be the big loss, as he seems determined to leave to seek football at a higher level. Our top central defender for 3 seasons. Not sure how we'll replace him. Strongly doubt he'll re-sign, as I'm sure Championship clubs will be in for him.
                                Rob Hall - had a few major injuries now. Great when not injured, but missed most of last season. Offered a new contract on reduced terms. Most fans would like him to stay, but with no great expectations that he'll be injury-free.

Extension triggered

John Mousinho - club captain, with a new lease of life since he moved from central defence (where he made too many errors) to defensive midfield. That change was one of the reasons we found defensive solidity last season after our appalling start. There are hints he'll start being involved in a coaching role too.
                                Jack Stevens - did well when he came in as back-up goalie. One for the future.

Loans ending

Ahmed Kashi - did really well in defensive midfield, offering even more than Mousinho in that role with his range of passing. Two red cards late in the season blotted his copybook somewhat, but he'd be top of my "sign him up" list as far as the loanees are concerned.
                                Luke Garbutt - one of our best players once he made the move from left back to left side of midfield. A great talent, probably far too good for us. Be nice to try to get him on loan again next season.
                                Jordan Sinclair - a genuine goalscorer, but lacks a bit of presence up front. A decent option if we did decide to try to get him in again.
                                Marcus Browne - very talented wide man from West Ham. Would definitely be keen to see if we could get him on loan again next season.
                                Jordan Graham - started his loan spell really well, showing real pace on the wing, but got less and less convincing, and eventually lost his place. Promising, but frustrating.
                                Samir Carruthers - spent most of the season injured, and did little when he did appear. He won't be back.

Under contract

Simon Eastwood - best goalie in the division? His return from injury was another factor in us turning around our season.
                                Rob Dickie - getting better and better on the left side of central defence. Still makes the odd glaring error, but definitely need to keep him here, especially given Nelson's likely departure.
                                Jamie Hanson - paid rather too much for him from Derby, but he's decent enough as a back-up player. Can play right back or midfield.
                                Cameron Brannagan - one of the stars of the season. Tough-tackling, all action, committed midfielder.
                                Josh Ruffels - veteran of over 200 appearances for the club (yet still only 25), and he's a local boy too (even if he did come through Coventry's academy). Just gets better and better at left back. Fans' player of the season.
                                Gavin Whyte - how long can we hang on to him? Was destroying opposition defences with his pace and goalscoring at the end of the season.
                                James Henry - our top goal scorer this season, from an attacking midfield position. Can be somewhat underrated, but always worth having in the team.
                                Jamie Mackie - an absolute star. My youngest son's favourite player. He's that sort of striker that doesn't score all that many goals, but gets crucial ones, a lot of assists, and holds the ball up well. Shows absolute commitment and expert "game management". The sort of player you'd hate if he wasn't on your team, but he is on our team.
                                Sam Long - former youth teamer, who's been cursed with injuries, finally got a chance to make the right back slot his own towards the end of the season. Did pretty well there too.
                                Mark Sykes - seen as one for the future. What appearances he has made have been very promising.
                                Shandon Baptiste - another from the youth team, and looks a brilliant prospect in central midfield. Sadly had two lengthy injuries this season, but I'm looking forward to what he can do next time around.
                                Nico Jones - 17 year old central defender who was given his chance once we were safe at the end of the season. Looks very promising, but needs to be eased in gradually.
                                Tony McMahon - right back who lost his place early in the season, and then went to Scunthorpe on loan in January. Forgot he was still at the club. Definitely looking to offload him.

(There are also various other young players on the fringe of the squad, but I haven't seen enough of them to form a judgement.)
                                Last edited by Jimski; 14-05-2019, 05:33.

Comment

We have finally announced our list:

Already contracted for next season (13)
                                  Scott Flinders, Sean Long, Chris Hussey, Ben Tozer, Johnny Mullins, Conor Thomas, Will Boyle, Alex Addai, Josh Debayo, George Lloyd, Chris Clements, Luke Varney, Archie Brennan

New contract offers made and under negotiation (3)
                                  Kevin Dawson, Ryan Broom, Rhys Lovett

Transfer-listed (3)
                                  Manny Duku - Forward signed from the Isthmian League last season who found the step up a bit too big
                                  Liam McAlinden - Forward who was a panic signing by Gary Johnson when he struggled to get an experienced forward in last summer
                                  Tom Smith - Young midfielder who was never given much of a chance here and spent the majority of the season at Bath.

Released (3)
                                  Matthew Bower - Big centre-back, local boy, seems to struggle to put himself about and Duff clearly doesn't see that improving
                                  Rakish Bingham - Forward brought in to make up the numbers in January
                                  Tyrone Barnett - Had a good season with us but has been injured a lot and probably on more than we can realistically afford.

Loan spells ending (5)
                                  Jacob Maddox (Chelsea), Billy Waters (Northampton Town - has been transfer listed and we're rumoured to be interested), Charlie Raglan (Oxford United but now free agent - apparently close to agreeing terms at Whaddon Road), Jordan Tillson (Exeter City), Cameron Pring (Bristol City)

New contract offers turned down (2)
                                  Nigel Atangana, Jordon Forster

Other than Jordon Forster being offered a deal, no real surprises there.

Interested to see where Nigel Atangana ends up though - he's apparently interesting another South West League 2 team, so either FGR, Plymouth or Exeter - arguably Swindon. I can only assume he was offered terms on reduced terms otherwise I think it shows a bit of a lack of loyalty given he's spent most of the past two years injured.
                                  Last edited by Simon G; 13-05-2019, 13:48.

Comment

Chelsea have released Todd Kane (8 different loan spells in the last 7 years or so) and received £5.4m from Metz for Victorien Angban, about whom I know very little suffice to say that he never played a game for us.

Tut.

Comment

Wimbledon put out the squad update over the weekend ;

Players leaving the club
                                      • Deji Oshilaja - appointed club captain at the start of the season but he was seemingly unsettled by/unhappy with the club turning down offers for him in both transfer windows this season. The summer bid was apparently £500k from Ipswich. He was injured near the end of the season so missed most of the The Great Escape and was allegedly upset when not picked after returning to fitness. A pity to lose as he's a fantastically mobile & agile defender who'd previously won many Player of the Year awards but his contract's up and he's rumoured to be interesting Sunderland and Barnsley.
                                      • Andy Barcham - the longest-serving player and a real well-loved stalwart of his first three seasons but has drifted to the fringes this campaign. At 32, he wants more games than he's likely to get with The Dons next time around.
                                      • Tom Soares - not a popular player in his two and a half seasons with the club but I always found him a solid, experienced pro who calmed the rest of a young team down. Probably on good wages and another 32 year old who needs to move on
                                      • Joe McDonnell - eternal back up keeper who has barely appeared, 22 starts in five seasons (which actually makes him technically the longest serving player not Barcham, I now realise). Only 24 so still young for a keeper.
                                      • Alfie Egan - 21 year old academy product midfielder with 28 appearances and three non-league loans in three seasons. Never left much of an impression on me.
                                      • Osaze Urhoghide - not a clue, first year pro being released I presume
                                      • James O’Halloran - see above
                                      • Kane Crichlow - see above

Players offered new contracts
                                      • Will Nightingale - 23 year old academy product centre half who took over the captaincy from Oshilaja and led The Great Escape. To my mind he's finally playing to the level a lot of supporters thought he was at a couple of seasons ago. I'll be amazed with both club and player if a new deal isn't agreed and I think it's vital he stays.
                                      • Kyron Stabana - not a clue

Players leaving Wimbledon to go back to their parent clubs
                                      • Aaron Ramsdale - Possibly the single most pivotal player in avoiding relegation, an absolute revelation since signing from Bournemouth in January and his performances saw him training with the England team (which coincided with his one wobble in form, strangely). Would be ecstatic and astounded if The Cherries let us have him back for a while.
                                      • Steve Seddon - the other crucial January loanee, especially after the coaching staff switched the team to a 3-5-2 and he converted to left wing back from left back. Great pace & stamina, a great cross and an eye for goal as well as defensive qualities. Birmingham have an option for another season in his contract but I wonder if they may let us buy him.
                                      • Tennai Watson - an underwhelming season sees him go back to Reading unmourned.
                                      • Michael Folivi - a promising striker with great pace and touch, unlucky that Joe Piggott's excellent scoring form kept him from having more starts than his nine. Back to Watford.
                                      • Jake Jervis - crowd scapegoat and journeyman, always looked far more like a converted winger than a striker and his two goal return underlined that. I had more time for him than most supporters as he was always trying hard but with very little success. Back to Luton who I can't see using him.
                                      • Tyler Garratt - 22 year old left back loaned from Doncaster for no real reason I can fathom. Right-footed centre-halves were preferred to him in that position over most of the season and he made only 6 completely anonymous appearances.

Players under contract
                                      • Terell Thomas
                                      • Scott Wagstaff
                                      • Anthony Hartigan
                                      • Kwesi Appiah
                                      • Mitch Pinnock
                                      • Dylan Connolly
                                      • James Hanson
                                      • Toby Sibbick
                                      • Paul Kalambayi
                                      • Tommy Wood
                                      • Nik Tzanev
                                      • Rod McDonald
                                      • Anthony Wordsworth
                                      • Shane McLoughlin
                                      • Joe Pigott
                                      • Ossama Ashley
                                      • Jack Rudoni

I'm slightly surprised at the amount of players who have deals stretching beyond the summer, I thought there were an awful lot more one year contracts in the squad. There is the nucleus of a decent squad there with ten or eleven who were involved in the great run of form over the last third of the season and few new first year pros. I wouldn't be surprised if the club listened to/invited offers for Appiah as he's been particularly injury prone in his time at the club.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-05-2019, 10:19.

Comment

Burnley haven't released their list, but have announced that Stephen Ward will be leaving after five seasons. He's been a wonderful servant to the club but he's lost his place to Charlie Taylor and his knees are shot.

Peter Crouch is likely to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          • Osaze Urhoghide - not a clue, first year pro being released I presume
                                          • James O’Halloran - see above
                                          • Kane Crichlow - see above
                                          Crichlow has signed a two-year deal at Watford. No mention of compensation - clubs can be secretive about that but I imagine Wimbledon would have mentioned it. If there isn't any, it means we've signed a player released by a club two leagues below, which is quite odd.

Comment

I would presume he was offered a new deal by Wimbledon that he turned down. He appears to have been on trial with Watford last month so you would imagine he knew they were interested.

Not sure if that qualifies for compensation or not, it really should.

Comment

QPR are still cutting salaries and have released:

Joel Lynch No great surprise. Generally disliked by supporters (in part because he somehow manages to "get injured" during almost every holiday period, especially Christmas.) His form is also erratic and style of play industrial rather than industrious. Won't be missed.

Alex Baptiste Solid journeyman at the tail-end of his career. Spent the second half of the season on loan at Luton, where he made but two appearances. No chance of new contract at our level anymore.

Jake Bidwell Bit of a surprise. Not great but he's our only experienced LB, and Warburton knows him well from their time together at Brentford. No idea how much money he's on of course, and that could be the deciding factor.

Jordon Cousins He's had hard luck. Injured for a good part of his time with us, and spotty form initially when he did play didn't endear him to fans. He came on strongly at the end of this past season but we've a lot of mid-field options and he's drawn the short straw.

Paweł Wszołek Will be a big miss I think. Unorthodox for a winger — runs like a sailor, and hates to cross the ball — but can play anywhere down the right side, never dogs it and manages to come up with important goals often enough to make him a bit of a fan favourite, but we've a lot of up and coming players in his slot and that's the direction the club's headed.

And offered a new contract to:

Angel Rangel Interesting decision. He's unlikely to be a regular and, to this point, he's the only older player offered a new deal. The thought is he might be seen a player-coach, with managerial potential down the line. He's apparently great in the dressing room and is certainly very articulate.

Comment

Erstwhile OTFer and QPR fan Rick Derris told me at one point this season that Joel Lynch was statistically the best defender in D2 according to one of the bodies that measures these things.

Comment

Manchester United:

Sell everyone who isn't Romero, Lindelof, Shaw, Dalot, McTominay and Rashford.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X