It's a knockout! Playoffs 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

I've always said that until the club (and more often, the fanbase) accept that they are no longer a Big Club then they can't start the process of climbing back up the leagues. Wolves, Burnley, arguably Man City and probably several others had to hit the bottom before realising that being a Big Club with a Massive History wasn't worth jack shit when playing away at Gillingham or Rochdale. Only when that arrogance and feeling of having some kind of divine right to be at the top table is knocked out of everybody by circumstance can the rebuilding process begin.
    I don't think that ever applied to Wolves. Even when they had two stands, they gave it all the Billy Big Bollocks in the world. And when those two stands were joined by two more, fuck me they were cunts to be around. They had a mantra of "We're a Premier League club..." (in the bottom half of what we now call the Championship) "with a Premier League ground..." (it held 28,000 and was orange) "and Premier League players..." (Tony Daley and Geoff Thomas) " and Premier League Manager..." (Graham Taylor) "... and Premier League fans".

Embarrassing. Football bigots, the lot of them. They're worse than Liverpool fans.

Comment

The lack of a creative talent like Grealish is part of the reason Albion didn't make a better challenge for automatic promotion. It's also the main reason our fans don't like him. It ought to be remembered that Villa fans themselves weren't too keen on him when he was being a dick off the field while Bruce was manager. Fair play to him for retrieving his reputation since those times.

We did have a player (nearly) as good as that till January in Harvey Barnes. His return to Leicester probably cost us a better shot at a top two place, and has indirectly led to the reliance on the sort of rough-house tactics we employed on Tuesday.

Brunt arguably committed three red-card offences, and Johanssen was walking a very fine line too. So too Neil Taylor, who seems to make at least one dangerous lunge every time I see him play (which isn't often, admittedly). I liked how the ref let the shoulder-to-shoulder stuff go, but he was way too lenient towards some serious foul-play.

Comment

And now Tomori has been racially abused by a child-like Leeds fan on twitter.

Comment

With a rare northeasterly wind, the noise from Fratton Park is audible on the seafront as far away as the hoverport. It must be carrying a good two miles. Portsmouth is flat, which helps, but i wonder if it's also because the ground is quite old and open to the elements. i don't remember ever hearing sounds from St Mary's in the centre of Southampton, but again, it might take an unusual breeze.

i do remember being in Auxerre on the evening of a match and being able to hear the crowd everywhere i went. Auxerre is quite compact (and a good proportion of its residents were inside the ground) but i'd guess, depending on the winds, almost everyone who lives within the town limits could hear the stadium.

Comment

Whereabouts are you, Laverte? I lived in Southsea for a few years and can't recall ever hearing any noise from FP?

Comment

i live in Southsea but quite close to Fratton Park (just off Albert Road). i can hear the crowd whenever the wind blows from the north or east but it's not far. Tonight is the first time i've heard it on the seafront and in the centre of Southsea.

i get the impression the place has changed a lot in the past few years. The wind, though, remains.

Comment

Ah, OK. I was a bit further to the south, just off of Clarendon Road. Not sure about football crowds but the hovercraft were as clear as a bell.

Comment

I know Lee Cattermole is a dickhead, but the sight of some local tit in a tracksuit offering him out and trying to climb over the advertising hoardings was hilarious. Had Cattermole actually turned around and gone for him, he'd have shit them, in very public view. Sit back down.

Comment

Inspired by the above, I've just measured the distance between Edgeley Park and my house. I've heard the crowd cheering from 1.25 miles away.

Comment

Inspired by Lee Cattermole being a dickhead?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        Inspired by the above, I've just measured the distance between Edgeley Park and my house. I've heard the crowd cheering from 1.25 miles away.
                        Where do you get a trundle wheel from at this time of night?

Comment

Still on course for a repeat of that early Noughties play-off final.

Comment

My gran lived next to Queensbury Tube Station, about three and a half miles from Wembley. I remember her saying that she never heard anything when football was being played there. However she could hear the crowd when women's hockey internationals were played there - girls were bussed in from all the schools in the Home Counties and their higher voices carried further.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              Still on course for a repeat of that early Noughties play-off final.
                              Here's hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                I know Lee Cattermole is a dickhead, but the sight of some local tit in a tracksuit offering him out and trying to climb over the advertising hoardings was hilarious. Had Cattermole actually turned around and gone for him, he'd have shit them, in very public view. Sit back down.
                                It has to be said that was simultaneously the low point and the high point of the game, apart from Sunderland getting through. It typified all the blood and thunder that's made large swathes of English football unwatchable for the past 40 years. The ref must have called at least three dozen fouls, but let another five dozen go. Not sure what his criteria were - "Nah, just whistled 5 seconds ago, I'd better let that one go. And that one. And that one." Shoving, elbowing, holding, shirt-pulling, elevating yourself by jumping on a player's back - all are apparently allowed now. And yelling at the ref after every decision requires no punishment or action. All part of a man's game etc.

I met a boorish Pompey fan at a party in Walthamstow about 25 years ago, who was bragging about how many blowjobs he'd had off prostitutes. The conversation didn't end well, and I've perhaps unfairly wished ill fortune on his team ever since.

Comment

Nothing unfair about it, frankly.

Comment

How did he get sex workers to perform sex acts on him, what's his secret

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Where do you get a trundle wheel from at this time of night?
                                      A good Admin is always resourceful.

Comment

I see NS's question has been answered.

Comment

In relation to what Ray said earlier - Grealish was by far the most fouled player in the Championship this season, and by 40% more than the next player
                                          https://twitter.com/EFLStats/status/1125108278571229184?s=19

Comment

How similar is this to the "players that hang on to the ball a lot" table?

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                              How did he get sex workers to perform sex acts on him, what's his secret
                                              Heh heh. It was bizarre. He wasn't exactly boasting about his sexual prowess, but was more sharing with me his delight that we lived in a world where such things were possible. His thinking was: two blokes at a party drinking beer and talking about football, so celebrating blowjobs from prostitutes is the next logical step in the conversation. Unfortunately, he chose a Guardian-reading twat to have the conversation with, and one who at that time righteously relished the right to verbally fight (something I carried over into my early OTF years). Nowadays I wouldn't be arsed and would probably seek the nearest escape route. Although, if I was in a narky mood and somewhere between my third and fifth drink, it could probably still kick off.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
                                                How similar is this to the "players that hang on to the ball a lot" table?
                                                Dunno but I wouldn't level that at Emi Buendia (6th most fouled player):
                                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEpOr30uUg&t=22s

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Dunno but I wouldn't level that at Emi Buendia (6th most fouled player):
                                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEpOr30uUg&t=22s
                                                  Early on in that it looks like he's a one touch only player, but later you see him trying to wriggle past two blokes by a touchline or slalom through defenders on a counter which are, I assume, the situations where most of the fouls occur.

Crikey it's hard watching that celebration of a skilful Championship player and his successful team-mates. Throughout the season we've displayed skill every bit as good as that throughout a team that months before could barely find each other in plain sight with bollards for opposition. And all we have to show for it is some polite applause and the square root of sod f*ing all. We finally give heart and soul trying to play the game with flair, teamwork and an attacking mindset and it *still* dumps us back exactly where we were when we hoofed it down the channels and hoped for something to break. One team too short. Again. A-bloody gain.

Comment

If an articulate Leeds point of view on the aftermath interests you (I'm not expecting that to be a wide audience) then you may appreciate this:

https://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-...ty-over-again/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X