No announcement yet.

It's a knockout! Playoffs 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should work like this. 7 winners come out of the various sections. The one of those 7 that got the most points during the regular season automatically gets promoted. Then the remaining 6 are drawn in 3 matches to be held at one neutral ground during a massive afternoon of non league celebration and party. The winners go up. Then the remaining 3 enter a 3 way penalty shootout, to decide the final one.

(It may look a bit far fetched but it is better than the actual system. How do you motivate yourselves to play in the playoffs when you have already found out you can't go up?)

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Ooooooh. Is that Dougie? From Ely?
      No idea. Should I know him?

The, er, 'good' news is that Westfield don't look like winning tonight as they're two down now.

Comment

OK, this is really dredging the memory banks (does that even make sense) but I think I remember that incident from It's A Knockout, probably in the '70s, with Stuart Hall pissing himself laughing. I thought that the GB contestant was called Dougie, I thought he was representing a UK town that won the competition that year and I thought that was Ely, though maybe that's because I think that's where you are. Is even the last bit right or is that another OTFer?

There is a vast amount of supposition in this post. I may need to do a little research.

Comment

Here we go. It was Dougie, from Skegness though:

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 30-04-2019, 20:12.

Comment

Ha, excellent! And yes, you're right.

Comment

Results tonight.

NPL
              South Shields 4-2 Buxton
              Warrington 4-1 Nantwich

NP1E
              Brighouse 3-1 Sheffield
              Pontefract 1-1 Ossett, into extra time

NP1W Radcliffe 3-1 Ramsbottom

I1SC
              Bracknell 2-1 Westfield
              Cheshunt 2-1 Marlow

Comment

Updated step 4 playoff table with that one result pending.

Edit: Pontefract through 3-1 aet.
                ​​​​​
                League Pos Team Pts P PPG
                S1C 2 Bromsgrove 87 38 2.29
                I1N 2 Aveley 80 38 2.11
                I1N 3 Maldon & Tiptree 79 38 2.08
                I1SE 2 Horsham 74 36 2.06
                S1C 3 Corby 77 38 2.03
                I1SC 2 Bracknell 77 38 2.03
                NP1E 2 Pontefract 76 38 2.00
                I1SC 3 Cheshunt 76 38 2.00
                S1S 2 Cirencester 75 38 1.97
                S1S 3 Yate 75 38 1.97
                NP1W 2 Radcliffe 75 38 1.97
                NP1W 3 Leek 74 38 1.95
                I1N 4 Coggeshall 74 38 1.95
                I1N 5 Heybridge 74 38 1.95
                . . . . . .
                NP1W 4 Colne 73 38 1.92
                . . . . . .
                . . . . . .
                I1SE 4 Ashford 68 36 1.89
                S1S 4 Moneyfields 71 38 1.87
                S1S 5 Cinderford 71 38 1.87
                NP1E 3 Brighouse 71 38 1.87
                . .​​​​ . . . .
                . . . . .
                . . . . . .
                . . . . . .
                S1C 4 Bedford 65 38 1.71
                S1C 5 Sutton Coldfield 62 38 1.63
                Last edited by Kevin S; 30-04-2019, 21:26.

Comment

Hmm and Brighouse have ended up winning but being eliminated. Oops.

Comment

National League South playoff very W-heavy, whereas (at least until Bradford Park Ave went out tonight anyway) the North favours Bs

Comment

More step 4 fun tonight.

NP1W
                      Leek 2-1 Colne (aet)

I1N
                      Aveley 0-2 Heybridge
                      Maldon & Tiptree 1-0 Coggeshall

S1C
                      Bromsgrove 3-2 Sutton Coldfield (aet)
                      Corby 5-3 Bedford

S1S
                      Cirencester 1-2 Cinderford
                      Yate 1-1 Moneyfields (aet, Yate win 5-4 on penalties)

Comment

So here are the 14 finalists then. Cinderford and Brighouse know it won't be them - but Ashford will be hoping they both win through.

Given that there must be a winner out of Radcliffe and Leek and another winner out of Yate and Cinderford I think that all we can say with certainty now is that any of the teams from Cheshunt up would be promoted if they win their final.

Edit - which is still exactly where we were before the semi finals started!
                        League Pos Team Pts P PPG
                        S1C 2 Bromsgrove 87 38 2.29
                        . . . . . .
                        I1N 3 Maldon & Tiptree 79 38 2.08
                        I1SE 2 Horsham 74 36 2.06
                        S1C 3 Corby 77 38 2.03
                        I1SC 2 Bracknell 77 38 2.03
                        NP1E 2 Pontefract 76 38 2.00
                        I1SC 3 Cheshunt 76 38 2.00
                        . . . . . .
                        S1S 3 Yate 75 38 1.97
                        NP1W 2 Radcliffe 75 38 1.97
                        NP1W 3 Leek 74 38 1.95
                        . . . . . .
                        I1N 5 Heybridge 74 38 1.95
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        I1SE 4 Ashford 68 36 1.89
                        . . . . . .
                        S1S 5 Cinderford 71 38 1.87
                        NP1E 3 Brighouse 71 38 1.87
                        . .​​​​ . . . .
                        . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .
                        . . . . . .

Comment

National League North:

Altrincham 2 Blyth 2 (Altrincham win 7-6 on pens)
                          Spennymoor 1 Bradford PA 0

Semis on Sunday:

Brackley v Spennymoor
                          Chorley v Altrincham
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-05-2019, 23:38.

Comment

In the Southern League Premier South Met Police beat Salisbury 3-2 so will host the "final" against Poole Town who overcame Taunton Town on penalties after a 1-1 draw (fifth place knocking out second place who finished 15 points ahead of them in that tie).

Sunday 3pm kick-off, I might pop round.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SheffieldFC_com/status/1123843754291531777

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                National League North:

Altrincham 2 Blyth 2 (Altrincham win 7-6 on pens)
                                Spennymoor 1 Bradford PA 0

Semis on Sunday:

Brackley v Spennymoor
                                Chorley v Altrincham
                                F-ing BBC had Blyth winners on penalties when I switched off last night, hence my mention of BPA losing. So it’s not just politics they lie about

Comment

Doesn't seem to have been any slackening of effort from the can't/unlikely to go up teams. Maybe the clubs have been trying to keep this from their players, ha ha.

Mind you, the two unlucky winners will apparently become top seeds at the agm cup, and I can think of at least one place in step 3 that needs filling- Colwyn Bay are sacking off the NPL to join the Welsh league.

EDIT: Except bollocks, that's wrong, Colwyn Bay are leaving NPL1West, at step 4. As you were.
                                  Last edited by Nesta; 02-05-2019, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

F-ing BBC had Blyth winners on penalties when I switched off last night, hence my mention of BPA losing. So it’s not just politics they lie about
                                    For once, this is where Twitter had its uses. Blyth's feed did the shoot-out kick by kick. BBC and Sky did not keep up at all. Same with Barnsley's feed on Tuesday; I knew they were up even though the BBC and Grauniad had the two games still in play. Presumably whomever updates the BBC, Sky and Grauniad sites was watching the CL ties, extremely underpaid and thus under-motivated accordingly.

Comment

Off to Coles Park tonight for the first time since the CONIFA World Cup. Bit guilty that I haven't watched Haringey Borough at all this season, but gonna head down to see their play-off against Tonbridge Angels.

Comment

I was just thinking this morning that tonight will be my first visit to Carshalton since the CONIFA semi-finals. If the play-off match comes close to marching the drama of that night it'll be a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

For once, this is where Twitter had its uses. Blyth's feed did the shoot-out kick by kick. BBC and Sky did not keep up at all. Same with Barnsley's feed on Tuesday; I knew they were up even though the BBC and Grauniad had the two games still in play. Presumably whomever updates the BBC, Sky and Grauniad sites was watching the CL ties, extremely underpaid and thus under-motivated accordingly.
                                          I presume all those sites use Press Association info and the BBC updates were very glitchy on Tuesday, not for the first time recently.

Comment

F-ing BBC had Blyth winners on penalties when I switched off last night
                                            Yeah I too was under the impression Blyth had won - gutted to find out, via this thread, that they didn't. Their fans were great when they visited us in the Trophy in February.

Comment

Opta provide all the data for BBC, Sky, probably the Guardian.

Alty v Blyth was a cracker. First time I've been to Altricham since early in 2016-17 (that's flown by). Blyth struck twice before Alty pulled one back with a penalty just before half-time. It was a hard shot from outside the area that was charged down and given as handball - hard to work out how deliberate it was. Both sides played some really nice stuff in the second half, Altrincham on top but Blyth breaking dangerously on occasion. Chances that should have been put away were missed, a couple of great saves. And the equaliser came deep into the five minutes of injury time. Extra time was played at a similar tempo and no misses until the 13th penalty. About 1,600 in attendance.

Incidentally, can someone remind me of the rules re: drinking alcohol in the sight of the pitch at this level? I thought it wasn't allowed, and when I've been previously I'd swear that Altrincham kept the shutters on the bar windows, didn't allow beer outside etc. Last night there was pints in plastic everywhere and a shed was selling fancy beers in cans.

Comment

They've got a bar on the terrace at Southport, so it's definitely ok in the national league north. Think it's stricter for FA competitions- cup, trophy etc

Comment

There were hundreds and hundreds of people drinking beer at Dulwich Hamlet the other week, to my very great surprise. I’m used to it being a complete no-no at the Step 6 and Step 7 clubs I normally attend,

Comment

It's not allowed at Marine, come to think of it. But it's just about obligatory at Prescot Cables.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X