X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing hybrid accents in football

Didi Hamann - Scouetsch

Shaka Hislop - Trinigeordian

Not the best example of it, but for a while Tim Krul had a delightful Hagenees-Geordie thing going on.

Comment

Danes seem particularly prone to this - Peter Schmeichel, Brian Laudrup, Jan Molby...

Then there's those players who go one stage further and go almost completely native - Hector Bellerin is 99% typical young Londoner at this point.

Comment

My brother met Ronnie Whelan on a charity walk,if you know Ronnie his accent is probably 70% scouser and 30% Dublin, they are around the same age and it turned out that they knew a lot of the same people so by the time they were reminiscing in the pub Ronnies wife said she could barely understand him,he'd regressed to his Dublin accent.

Comment

When he was Ebbsfleet manager and interviewed on Radio Kent, I was always fascinated by the accent of Daryl McMahon, who sounded exactly like someone who'd spent half his life in Dublin and half his life in south-east London.

The only clip I can find is this one which is a few years old and he hadn't quite perfected it yet.

I say this as someone with a ridiculous hybrid accent myself, in my case Chathamese-Berlinerisch.

Comment

Roberto Martinez was pretty funny during his season at Motherwell - his Spanish accent had picked up a slight Lancs twang during his 6 years at Wigan anyway, and then when he got to Scotland and started using words like "wee" and "rammy", you could see interviewers with a proper 'wtf?' look on their faces.

Comment

Another Dane I forgot to mention - Peter Lovenkrands. His full-on Glaswegian accent even makes it onto his Wikipedia entry.

Comment

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's "Moldecunian" springs to mind.

Comment

I'm terrible for this (subconsciously parroting accents). I spent a week at our offices in Longbenton last year and my wife said I came back talking like Ant and Dec.

Comment

For sheer mangling of a foreign tongue, Van Gaal's experiments with Spanish take some beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      For sheer mangling of a foreign tongue, Van Gaal's experiments with Spanish take some beating.
                      I see your van Gaal and raise you John Toshack. Someone really needed to tell him that idioms don't travel well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        I'm terrible for this (subconsciously parroting accents). I spent a week at our offices in Longbenton last year and my wife said I came back talking like Ant and Dec.
                        That's not what this is though, is it? If you're not a native English speaker, you don't have a 'natural' English accent to fall back on so picking up the accent of whichever region you live in as your standard is pretty normal.

Although I get the examples in this thread, they seem to rely on the weird assumption that there's a 'neutral' accent for English (I guess RP or some generic transatlantic twang) that foreigners are expected to adopt. My French accent with Teesside (and occasional Scot) vowels is no more hybrid than French/London or French/Californian valleys would be, even if it's less common.

Comment

The first two English-speaking countries I ever visited were Canada and Australia. Pretty sure my accent is not neutral, but what people make of it? Beats me.

I did stop calling everyone "mate", but I still throw in a regular "no worries".

Comment

Rogin, you were lucky to find someone with a Geordie accent in our Longbenton office these days.

Comment

Joey Barton’s French accent having been there for 10 minutes was classical Officer Crabtree from Allo Allo

Comment

See also Roy Hodgson's "Dutch" accent.

Comment

Working...
                                X