Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clubs who haven't played in European competitions..and who would win between them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubs who haven't played in European competitions..and who would win between them?

Carried over from another thread. So far Huddersfield Town appear to be - with various championships back in the day - the best candidate for this, er, award...I mentioned St Pauli...Eibar are in with a shout too.

You could put on a decent quadrangular tournament with Huddersfield, Eibar, SPAL and St Pauli (or Greuther Fürth, who were the German Huddersfield before the Terriers reached the Premier League).

Comment

I think of the current Premier League only Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace and Huddersfield haven't? And Palace would have done under modern entry rules (Champions League indeed) when they finished third in 1991, was it?

Comment

Palace played in the Intertoto

And Spurs played in that competition at Brighton and Hove Albion's ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Palace played in the Intertoto

And Spurs played in that competition at Brighton and Hove Albion's ground.
          Palace played Samsunspor in the Intertoto and I couldn't get time off work to go. They lost.

Comment

Do Sheffield United also qualify for this?

Comment

Ross County and Hamilton Academical?

Comment

Sheffield United are a good call, with a long period in the top flight before European competition, though they don't match Huddersfield in terms of trophies.

Comment

Charlton Athletic, maybe?

Comment

Palace lost 2-0 to Samsunspor in both legs in July 1998, with newly appointed manager Terry Venables not bothering to turn up (recuperating after a strenuous month of punditry on France 98). Very annoyed if that means we don't even qualify for this thread.

Comment

The club must have assumed only three men and a dog would turn up and closed one stand, but they actually had to put the kick off time back because they were struggling to cope with the numbers. The selhurst faithful knowing full well that this was likely the first and last chance to ever see the team 'play in Europe'.

Comment

Queens Park

Comment

England: Wimbledon and Coventry missed out on CWC campaigns due to the Heysel ban (I'm excluding the Anglo-Italian Cup)

Scotland: If we go by recency (post-1980) then Clydebank: three seasons in the top flight and a Scottish Cup semi-final

Comment

I was really puzzled by the fun-size bucket of contumely heaped on the Intertoto when English clubs started being involved. Being in pre-season they would otherwise be playing friendlies, so I assumed that they'd be quite happy to play games that were like the ones they'd play anyway except a bit more competitive and with the possibility of a UEFA Cup spot at the end. But right from the go the media were derisive as all hell, and the clubs basically followed suit; I think Palace were the only ones who even deigned to use their own ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Sheffield United are a good call, with a long period in the top flight before European competition, though they don't match Huddersfield in terms of trophies.
                              Seasoned European campaigners, with an appearance in the group stages of the Anglo-Italian cup marking the high point of our efforts.

Comment

I do like this bit of the Wiki page for C.Palace records and statistics:

European attendance records
                                • Highest home attendance: 11,758 v Samsunspor, 19 July 1998
                                • Lowest home attendance: 11,758 v Samsunspor, 19 July 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  England: Wimbledon and Coventry missed out on CWC campaigns due to the Heysel ban (I'm excluding the Anglo-Italian Cup)

Scotland: If we go by recency (post-1980) then Clydebank: three seasons in the top flight and a Scottish Cup semi-final
                                  Luton and Oxford would have qualified for the UEFA Cup as well in those years, after their League Cup wins. Portsmouth have played in Europe recently, but it always amuses me that had someone come up with the idea of a European Cup five years earlier, they'd have been a good shout to have won it in 1950. It would have been between them, Rangers, Barcelona, Stade de Reims and Ferencvaros, anyway (Torino's entrance into the competition horribly depleted by the Superga tragedy).
                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-04-2019, 09:07.

Comment

1950 might have been a year early for Barcelona because Kubala did not arrive until June that year.

Comment

Belfast Celtic... 14 league titles, 8 Irish Cups, no European appearance

Comment

Working...
                                      X