No announcement yet.

Tense run in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a good book, and worth reading. It's a bit overwritten to my mind, and I found it a bit overly focused on the German side of the Habsburg empire (Winder's first book was about the history of Germany I think), but certainly gives a good background in all that mittel european history that is so lacking in the British curriculum.

For two histories that I think are both great and have a lot about Transylvania for obvious reasons I would recommend Pal Lendvai's "The Hungarians" and Lucian Boia's "Romania: Borderland of Europe"

And if you're into turn of the century novels Miklos Banffy's "Transylvanian Trilogy" is a great account of the last years of the austro hungarian empire in Transylvania

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations both.

Comment

Yesterday's games resulted in a 5-0 win for Csikszereda and a 2-0 win for Recea, reducing the gap in GD to a single goal. The next couple of games for both teams look relatively straightforward so I suspect that there will be some serious attempts to run up big scores. Midweek on the 8th May Recea play the 4th place team and the following Saturday Csikszereda the 3rd place team. That would appear to be the crucial three days.

6 games each to go

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          (though having just checked on Romanian wikipedia the population is only 4% Hungarian - out of 6000)
          I think this demonstrates what large numbers small proportions can represent. 6000 people is a small town, 4% a very small minority - but 240 people are not a small group. An illustration of why we should be extremely wary of people suggesting that a measure or policy would 'only' affect such-and-such a percentage of a population.

I'm pleased to hear that Winder book is worth reading - a couple of times I've almost got it out of the library, but been put off because it appears to be one of those non-fiction books where the writer centres themselves and their style at least as much as their subject.

Since ad hoc seems to be in informative mood, I'd be interested to know which clubs (if any) are the 'nicest'/least aggressively nationalistic. And I'm guessing the 3rd tier divisions are regional.

I know it's not the case, but I'd love it if Hărman had a sizeable Turkish minority and their club were nicknamed Hürriyet.

Comment

Harman is a German town (it's got a gorgeous fortified church that I always take visitors to see). It's Honigberg in German. (and according to Romanian Wikipedia Huntschprich in local "Saxon" dialect).

As for least nationalistic clubs it will be teams in smallish towns far from the presence of large minorities.
            Last edited by ad hoc; 20-04-2019, 06:53.

Comment

And yes the 3rd tier is regional. Csikszereda in the last few seasons have been in a division which is largely to the north east of here. This year they got shifted in the annual regional balancing to this division which is basically to the north west of us.

Comment

And having said that about least nationalistic clubs I would be very happy to learn of any club's fans in general that weren't broadly casually racist (towards Roma if no-one else). Rapid Bucharest's fans used to have a reputation of being the best of the bigger teams but since they went out of business a few years ago I haven't heard about whether the phoenix club has a similar reputation.

Comment

Oh yeah, there's a picture of that church on Wiki, it looks fantastic.

And yes, completely agree with your comment on the prevalence of casual or not-so-casual racism.
                  Last edited by delicatemoth; 20-04-2019, 07:06.

Comment

Winder certainly does centre the book on himself, but I think the good bits outweigh the bad.

Comment

Lovely church.

Comment

Bit of a turn around this weekend. Csikszereda won 8-0 (eight) away to Gaz Metan Medias's reserves, in the battle to get a better goal difference. In the other game, Recea went into half time 4-0 up at home to Harman (both Harman and Medias II are in the relegation zone). But somehow (and there were no sendings off) Harman came back to draw 4-4. So, a massive chance now for Csikszereda

5 games to play
                        Csikszereda 61 points GD +57
                        Recea 59 points GD +50

On Friday Csikszereda are at home to Gloria Bistrita reserves (in 9th place) and on Saturday Recea are away to Unirea Tasnad (in 12th).

Comment

Come on those Csiki Monkeys!

Comment

Wins for both teams this weekend. Csikszereda a tense 2-0 at home (the second goal coming in injury time). Recea a less tense 7-0 (seven) away. However, despite the apparent desire to rack up goals from both sides, I read an article last week that seemed to suggest positions are decided on head to head, which Recea would win*. So who knows. This week is perhaps the crucial one with a midweek round on Tuesday before games next weekend - and neither team faces an easy match up in both their fixtures.

*head to head this season
                            Csikszereda 0-3 Recea
                            Recea 2-4 Csikszereda
                            If this article is true that late penalty given away to ten man Recea could turn out to be crucial

Comment

There's clearly nothing between these teams, is there?

I was thinking about this thread before, during and after yesterday's Slovak league game between Zilina and Dunajska Streda. Zilina pulled a crass nationalist stunt before kick-off. More detail on the matchgoing thread if anyone is interested, as this one needs leaving to Csikszereda and Recea.

Comment

Thanks James for that report. Obviously viewed from here it was both interesting and somewhat depressingly familiar.

Two more games yesterday
                                Harman 0-2 Csikszereda
                                Recea 4-0 Cetate Rasnov

Both tricky fixtures both overcome comfortably

This Friday
                                Csikszereda vs Baia Mare (3rd)
                                Reghin (6thish) vs Recea
                                ​​​

Comment

I am now totally excited by the Romanian regional third division.

You have the same ludicrous situation in Germany, with five regional divisions below BL3, and only four promotion spots for 90 teams. Three champions go up directly (new this season - last season all five champions plus the second-placed team in South-West played off), and the North champion plays off against the Bavarian champion. I think that now gets rotated on a year-by-year basis.

Anyway, up the Csiksi lads!

Comment

Euronews visit us, and actually go to the football club and interview a couple of members of the team. (though it's a shame they make such a hash of pronouncing both Miercurea Ciuc and Csikszereda).

(If you know where to look, at one point of this video, you can see the window of our apartment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Esh0EA-DUE

Comment

Apartment? I had you in a log cabin, shovelling snow and clearing forests. Don't over-share, it only disappoints.

Comment

DISASTER!

Csikszereda 0 - 1 Baia Mare

LESS OF A DISASTER

Reghin 1 - 0 Recea

EVEN MORE UNDISASTROUS

Recea won one game 5-1 a month ago, but they fielded a suspended player and so that result has now been overturned and been given to the other team 3-0

So what looked like being a hugely bad day for the club when we conceded the 88th minute goal at home, has turned out to be basically a promotion party as the lead now is 5 points with two games left

Comment

Get the Csik in!

Comment

The tense run in has now become a cake walk. The weekend's games:
                                            Unirea Tășnad 0 - 2 Csikszereda
                                            Comuna Recea 1-3Sănătatea Cluj

So, even if Recea somehow overturn their 3 point penalty, the season is done and dusted, with Csikszereda now 8 points clear with one game left. Off to the second division we go.

The next season promises to be a big struggle - the two sides which pipped Csikszereda to the promotion spot in the last two seasons came straight back down, plus among the other 4 promoted clubs are two relegated into the nether reaches due to financial issues and on their way back up, including Rapid Bucuresti who have come back from the 4th tier to be in next season's 2nd. But no matter, the party at this Saturday's game should be a good one

Comment

Hurrah!

Comment

A Csiki finish. Guzman.

Comment

Fantastic

Comment

For those that haven't had enough of a fix of regional playoffs follow UD Logrones in Spain. A former La Liga (reformed phoenix) team fighting to get into the second tier. I started liking them because red and white stripes (Exeter City).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X