Tense run in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tense run in

Romania's third tier has five separate divisions, which feed into one second tier league. This means that to get promoted is a real challenge as only the top team in each of the five divisions go up (it also makes it very difficult to stay up as five come down and obviously playing the 15th-34th best teams in the country is significantly harder than playing teams that range from 35th-114th.)

In the past two seasons my local team FK Csikszereda has finished second - by two points and by one point. This year after cup heroics (reaching the quarter finals of the Romanian Cup and beating Dinamo on the way), things were looking like they might end up the same. They have been second much of the year and yesterday they played away to the team who are top. Lose, and the season would be over for another year (it would have meant a gap of 6 points). A draw might just about have kept hopes alive, but they really needed to win. Which they did, 4-2.

The two teams are now level on points far ahead of the pack. There are 7 games left to play, and it's quite conceivable that both could win all 7 and it be down to GD. I have the feeling they are just going to come up short again.

Highlights from yesterday, showing the nicely situated ground in the north east of Romania.

Did I just witness a goalie take a penalty and instead of hoofing it down the middle tap it sideways to a team mate (at 1:45). Brash, but at 2-0 down, not as cocky as it might otherwise be.

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what you saw. I had to rewind too. He also took their other penalty too, in a more traditional manner

Comment

THIS IS WHY I LOVE OTF! x

Comment

How come the opponents' name is different to the division leaders and doesn't appear on the table? Are they known by more than one name?

Best of luck.

Comment

And I can't see any floodlights. At what level (if any) do they become compulsory? So many questions.

Comment

That first goal was really nice. The penalty was hilarious. Cruyff/Neeskens? Definitely not Henry/Pires.

Comment

In the cup Csikszereda had to install temporary ones, because TV wanted to show the game against Dinamo and therefore it had to be in the evening (the assumption locally was that this was an attempt to get the match switched to another venue and take away home advantage, but i suspect it was simply because it was seen as an interesting fixture). I'm not even sure if they have to have floodlights in Tier 2. All those games seem to be played during daylight hours

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  How come the opponents' name is different to the division leaders and doesn't appear on the table? Are they known by more than one name?

Best of luck.
                  Because this the video put out by Csikszereda, and hence they have given them the Hungarian name of the town. The team's actual name is Comuna Recea (which is the Romanian name). (At the end of the match on the video, you can hear the announcer give the final score at which he credits the away side as "Csikszereda Miercurea Ciuc" (Csikszereda is the town's Hungarian name - and the official name of the team. Miercurea Ciuc is the Romanian name)
                  Last edited by ad hoc; 14-04-2019, 12:08.

Comment

(as you can imagine there is a lot of nationalist bollocks that goes on. You can see the number of Szekelyfold flags in the away support after the 3rd goal around 2.45. Most of the other clubs in the league in these last few games will, I suspect, put more effort into playing Csikszereda than Recea for that reason)

There is a big crossover between this team and the team that represents Szekelyfold in CONIFA, too.

Comment

It sounded like there was a Glasgow guy on the audio "They're getting a hidin"

Comment

Brilliant penalty, but maybe he was trying to make up for the fact that it shouldn't have been given. Outside the box, for me, Peter.

Plenty of skill on show, any scouts in evidence? Maybe Ad Hoc could get a nice sideline going.

Comment

Why are all my posts, missing? They weren't THAT bad.

Comment

Your posts aren't missing. Do you have yourself on "ignore poster"?

Comment

Sorry, I had a glitch. Sorry for the derail.

Comment

I can see them Ger, so everything's fine.

So ad hoc (more questions!) there's clearly a border/ethnicity issue where Romania and Hungary meet. Does that date right back to the break up of the Austro-Hungarian empire?

Hmmm, perhaps that's a bit too much of a digression.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  So ad hoc (more questions!) there's clearly a border/ethnicity issue where Romania and Hungary meet. Does that date right back to the break up of the Austro-Hungarian empire?

Hmmm, perhaps that's a bit too much of a digression.
                                  Basically yes. Transylvania was in the Austro Hungarian empire up until the end of the first world war, and then from 1918 (or 1920, depending on who you talk to) became part of Romania. It had always been a fairly multi cultural region having Hungarian, Romanian, German, Roma, Jewish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Polish, Armenian and other nationalities - as well as a few that are less familiar like Kun, Szekely, Csango, Pecheneg. But it was broadly ruled by the Hungarians, with the Germans having a fairly privileged position too. Most of the time it was sort of a semi autonomous principality, not exactly Hungary, but sort of.By the last hundred years or so it had a slight Romanian majority. Since 1918 (with a small period from 1940-1944 when it was back in Hungary) it's been Romanian, but the upshot of this is that Romania's Hungarian population is the largest ethnic minority in Europe, somewhere around 1.5 million (though like the population of Romania in general this number is falling). The area I live in, which is actually very far from the border - the old eastern border of Transylvania - is very Hungarian, and in particular Szekely (a Hungarian speaking ethnic group). In my village there are two Romanians, me, and some Roma, and everyone else is Hungarian. There are other areas of the country that still have sizeable Hungarian minorities - including areas near Recea in this match (though having just checked on Romanian wikipedia the population is only 4% Hungarian - out of 6000). As in all such cases there are tensions that get whipped up by media and politicians. There was an article (not by me) about football in Szekelyfold in WSC about 2 or 3 months ago.

That's probably more than you wanted, but i could go on all day about it, and that was my attempt at trying to shorten it a bit. Short bit neither concise nor coherent

Comment

Excellent stuff
                                    Transylvania is probably the most striking example, but there are similar stories throughout the former Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      Basically yes. Transylvania was in the Austro Hungarian empire up until the end of the first world war, and then from 1918 (or 1920, depending on who you talk to) became part of Romania. It had always been a fairly multi cultural region having Hungarian, Romanian, German, Roma, Jewish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Polish, Armenian and other nationalities - as well as a few that are less familiar like Kun, Szekely, Csango, Pecheneg. But it was broadly ruled by the Hungarians, with the Germans having a fairly privileged position too. Most of the time it was sort of a semi autonomous principality, not exactly Hungary, but sort of.By the last hundred years or so it had a slight Romanian majority. Since 1918 (with a small period from 1940-1944 when it was back in Hungary) it's been Romanian, but the upshot of this is that Romania's Hungarian population is the largest ethnic minority in Europe, somewhere around 1.5 million (though like the population of Romania in general this number is falling). The area I live in, which is actually very far from the border - the old eastern border of Transylvania - is very Hungarian, and in particular Szekely (a Hungarian speaking ethnic group). In my village there are two Romanians, me, and some Roma, and everyone else is Hungarian. There are other areas of the country that still have sizeable Hungarian minorities - including areas near Recea in this match (though having just checked on Romanian wikipedia the population is only 4% Hungarian - out of 6000). As in all such cases there are tensions that get whipped up by media and politicians. There was an article (not by me) about football in Szekelyfold in WSC about 2 or 3 months ago.

That's probably more than you wanted, but i could go on all day about it, and that was my attempt at trying to shorten it a bit. Short bit neither concise nor coherent
                                      Also, this is why I love otf.

Comment

As an aside, the concert I attended last night had a Rumanian conductor:

https://artisnaples.org/naples-philh...s/radu-paponiu

Comment

I was about to say that there are 750.000 Romanians in Italy - and then realised that it's not that Naples.

Comment

It is a very 21st century development

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Not a bit more than I wanted, marvellous. Thanks ad hoc.

Comment

If you are interested in how the former Austro-Hungarian lands ended up as they did, then Simon Winder's Danubia is very good. The tone of the book is a bit off-putting sometimes as he was clearly desperate for some reviewer to compare him to Bill Bryson for his dust jacket, but it's an accessible read on a fascinating topic. It does also partially explain why countries in the area are so susceptible to ant-immigrant feeling.

Comment

Though I should say it's not a subject I know much about, so if ad hoc or someone more knowledgeable tells you it's all bollocks then go with them!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X