Do you feel the power of the Gladiators? - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zilina 0 Slovan Bratislava 3

As enjoyable as having the EDL in your garden. Slovan are run by gangsters who endear themselves by making Nazi salutes at the club's skinhead fans. Truly awful people.

The team won the league with yesterday's result and have been at least a whole division better than any of their 'competitors' all season. They were 2-0 up at half-time, with Moroccan winger Moha scoring both goals. The first followed the sort of defensive mistake Zilina had to avoid if they were to have any chance at all. The second was as brilliant as Puskas at Wembley in 1953. Zilina defender Martin Kralik - 'like a fire-engine rushing to the wrong fire' - took the Billy Wright role. If it had been any other side benefitting from such class, even Wolves, I'd have applauded.

In the second-half, Slovan retreated, and watched Zilina pass the ball prettily in front of them. When they could be bothered, they took possession themselves and ambled off up the other end. On one such occasion, they added the third goal. Not a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
      Techincally tonight's OTF derby, me v El Guapo (Dundalk v Bohemians) match is a midweek match as most League of Ireland matches take place on a Friday night. Buggered if I'm gonna be the one to come up with a pithy title for a midweek matchgoing thread though.

Given the shitty weather Dundalk's much maligned artificial pitch is a blessing tonight. Dundalk need to get their collective arse in gear after miserable back-to-back defeats left us 13 points off the top (with 2 games in hand) after just 9 games. Bohs are going well with their modest budget. This one has 0-0 written all over it
      Right now I'd snap your hand off for a nil all, I know you're in poor form but we don't have a great record in Oriel.
      This month the fixture fixer has been having great fun with us,after Sligo away (3rd longest trip) and Finn Harps (2nd longest) we're away tonight to the defending champions before a rare home game against UCD on Friday. Next week we're away to the runaway leaders on Tuesday before another away game,this time the seasons longest against Derry,if we come out of that lot still in 2nd I'll start believing.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Right now I'd snap your hand off for a nil all, I know you're in poor form but we don't have a great record in Oriel.
        This month the fixture fixer has been having great fun with us,after Sligo away (3rd longest trip) and Finn Harps (2nd longest) we're away tonight to the defending champions before a rare home game against UCD on Friday. Next week we're away to the runaway leaders on Tuesday before another away game,this time the seasons longest against Derry,if we come out of that lot still in 2nd I'll start believing.
        I think in the interest of the greater good EG your lot should roll over tonight. We don't want the Hooped Minions of Beelzebub running away with it

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

I think in the interest of the greater good EG your lot should roll over tonight. We don't want the Hooped Minions of Beelzebub running away with it
          I will give that statement the derisive snort it so richly deserves, while I've no desire to see the forces of darkness win the thing, I won't be sending up any fireworks if you lot win another one either, anyway we've the same points total at this stage of the season as when we last won the title,so you can snort derisively at me if want but we're in it to win it.

Comment

Arrrgh! Beaten by last minute penalty. Keith Long made 7 changes and we more than held our own. Cork city beaten by UCD, Caulfield's on very thin ice now.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Arrrgh! Beaten by last minute penalty. Keith Long made 7 changes and we more than held our own. Cork city beaten by UCD, Caulfield's on very thin ice now.
              Find it hard to understand Bohs' policy here. They declined to play the match when it was scheduled as they were missing two players on under-21 international duty, so instead changed 7 players last night.

Overall Bohs played well and deserved a point I thought. We kept plugging away and eventually got there for an important 3 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

It does, but it's not between the station and the ground (if you did indeed go by train). There is a shopping centre of sorts, and a Wetherspoons.

I wouldn't bet on the bulldozers knocking it down just yet, there is quite a saga around the proposed new stadium and it's been aborted once or twice before.
                Thanks Walt. The locals I chatted to at the game were equally unsure of how all this will pan out. It would be a shame to lose a nice ground like Borough Park.

Comment

Prescot Cables 4-0 Newcastle Town

(That's Newcastle-under-Lyme near Stoke, not the Jimmy Nail one). Easy-peasy for Cables, who had chances to run up a cricket score. I mean, an early in the innings, concentrating on seeing off the new ball cricket score, but still. Nice set up with the bar underneath the stand, with big windows so you can see most of the game from inside- on a day like saturday when its deceptively cold so lots of people weren't dressed for the temperature, it's a godsend, for the casual spectator and for the bar takings. Many who stayed in the bar throughout didn't seem too focussed on the action outside it has to be said, but hopefully the team appreciated their tacit support.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Sharks vs Jets, Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney.

Age old rivalry this. Some nifty footwork from both sides but bad officiating meant some antagonistic play leading to both captains suffering career ending injuries just before the interval.

Second half at a slower pace and degenerated into some ugly brawling before the Jets vice captain taking a shot to the chest and keeling over. The match was then abandoned to wild applause from the crowd.
                    How Long are you here Snake?

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post

Thanks Walt. The locals I chatted to at the game were equally unsure of how all this will pan out. It would be a shame to lose a nice ground like Borough Park.
                      Cumbria is an incredibly parochial place, and there is a long old saga to it all. It's a miracle that anything gets done, when it does. I'll go on at length about my own memories of Borough Park another time, on a wider thread I've got an idea for but haven't started writing yet.

Comment

Molesey 1 Chalfont St Peter 0

Isthmian South Central

A last minute message from a mate meant that I decided to put myself through The Moles' relegation battle for the second Tuesday in a row, playing their final game in hand over the other teams near the bottom.

Rather than let a 3-2 lead slip in injury time to lose 3-4 like last week they scored after four minutes, saved a penalty within ten and then held on haphazardly for the rest of the match.

I point from safety with with three games left, though the visit of champions Hayes & Yeading on Saturday can be safely written off already.

Comment

With a name like that, Chalfont St Peter should really be the ERG football team. I can't believe that Rees-Mogg has missed this opportunity.

Comment

If it was nearby Chalfont St Giles I'd be a bit worried about the nickname possibilities given what the village's name represents in rhyming slang.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

How Long are you here Snake?
                              Fly to Adelaide on Friday for a week, then a few days in Ballina, five in Cairns, back to Sydney for 48 hours and fly home on the 6th.

Comment

PM Snake

Comment

Working...
                                X