No announcement yet.

Your ideal top flight/Premier League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Ipswich, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man C, Man U, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Forest, Sheff W, Southampton, Sunderland, Spurs, WBA, West Ham, Wolves.

Div 2: Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Bournemouth, Bristol C, Burnley, Cardiff, Charlton, Palace, Derby, Fulham, Huddersfield, Luton, Millwall, Norwich, Portsmouth, Preston, QPR, Sheff U, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Wimbledon.

Comment

I am going to sound like an arch wanker now but I did a list and then realised I don't give a shit about the Premier League. Well, not until Bath City are in it and I could't select them (nor Orient who I would also have in the list).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
        I started typing in names of teams and as I started to type in Tottenham I realised that they didn't belong in my ideal top flight. Nothing against Spurs, but my ideal top flight is as it was in 1977/78, and they were a division below. That season was the first season that I took an interest in football and got my first Panini album. I was seduced by Brian Clough's Forest team, as were many kids in Lincoln at the time.
        This is what the perfect top flight should look like.

If the league was inverted in would be perfect. Thanks for the reminder of one of my first low points of being a supporter. After the sheer joy of the Bloomfield days this was McLintocks dire effort . Horrible season.

Comment

Forest, Derby, Leeds, Villa, West Brom, QPR, Coventry, Ipswich, Stoke, Wednesday should all be in the First Division, which consists of 22 teams.

Comment

Prem.... this strikes me as a rare opportunity to end the 29 year drought....
            1. Liverpool
            2. AFC Wimbledon
            3. Bury
            4. Cambridge
            5. Cheltenham
            6. Crawley
            7. Crewe Alex
            8. Exeter City
            9. Forest Green
            10. Grimsby Town
            11. Macclesfield
            12. Morecambe
            13. Newport
            14. Notts County
            15. Oldham
            16. Port Vale
            17. Stevenage
            18. Swindon Town
            19. Tranmere
            20. Yeovil Town

within the criteria on the website which seems to stop me from being more imaginative that League 2. I mean why would a Liverpool fan have ManYoo, Citeh, Arsenal or Chelsea in there?

Comment

• 1 Arsenal
              • 2 Aston Villa
              • 3 Derby
              • 4 Everton
              • 5 Leeds
              • 6 Leicester
              • 7 Liverpool
              • 8 Man City
              • 9 Man Utd
              • 10 Newcastle
              • 11 Nottm Forest
              • 12 Oxford United
              • 13 Sheffield Utd
              • 14 Sheffield Wed
              • 15 Sunderland
              • 16 Tottenham
              • 17 Watford
              • 18 West Brom
              • 19 West Ham
              • 20 Wolves

Comment

Liverpool
                Tottenham
                Wolverhampton
                Everton
                Watford
                Burnley
                Newcastle
                Fulham
                Huddersfield
                Norwich
                Sheffield Utd
                West Brom
                Bristol City
                Nott'm Forest
                Swansea
                Brentford
                Stoke
                Blackburn
                Wigan
                Reading
                This is to the best of my knowledge the current top 20 teams that haven't been in administration, and aren't currently under suspicion or potentially in breach of financial regulations, haven't had points deducted for breaking league rules, haven't done over local creditors in any takeover situation and aren't West Ham.
                Last edited by Glass Half Empty; 09-04-2019, 15:03.

Comment

Swansea had a CVA in 2002 which meant they paid off their creditors at 5p in the £1 of a £1.7m debt. In later years, Cardiff fans used to claim they screwed over local businesses when Swansea supporters criticised Cardiff's own financial shambles - I've never been quite sure if that was justified.

Comment

I'm not doing the full thing, but any top flight should include all sorts of teams that I thought were top-flight regulars when I got into football, from the very late 70s through to the mid-ish 80s, but then they turned out not to be top flight regulars at all:

Oxford (of course), Watford, Luton, Oldham, Norwich, Ipswich, Bristol City, Coventry, Brighton, Notts Forests and County, West Brom, QPR

Comment

Hmmmm, I think my research might be a little less than complete, Apart from Swansea, I think Huddersfield were also in administration in the early naughties. Neither appear in the wikipedia list of clubs in administration. That brings in Ipswich and Peterborough then, unless there is more dirty washing.
                      Liverpool
                      Tottenham
                      Wolverhampton
                      Everton
                      Watford
                      Burnley
                      Newcastle
                      Fulham
                      Norwich
                      Sheffield Utd
                      West Brom
                      Bristol City
                      Nott'm Forest
                      Brentford
                      Stoke
                      Blackburn
                      Wigan
                      Reading
                      Ipswich
                      Peterborough

Last edited by Glass Half Empty; 09-04-2019, 15:57.

Comment

Working...
                      X