Your ideal top flight/Premier League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your ideal top flight/Premier League

Evidently most people who did this were fellow children of the Nineties, as I chose 18 out of the most selected 20 clubs:

https://www.football.london/premier-...n-16071302.amp

It'd have 24 clubs for a start.

Comment

I was four different to the "most picked", three of which would be Reading and the Old Farm protagonists.

Comment

I had 14 of the most picked. Admittedly I included Shrewsbury in my list. #loyalty

Comment

Norwich, Arsenal, Plymouth, Man Utd, Liverpool, Forest, Sunlun, Palace, Villa, West Ham, Southampton, West Brom, Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, Leicester, Wednesday, Spurs, Wolves, Derby, Norwich

Comment

• 1 AFC Wimbledon
            • 2 Arsenal
            • 3 Aston Villa
            • 4 Chelsea
            • 5 Coventry City
            • 6 Crystal Palace
            • 7 Everton
            • 8 Fulham
            • 9 Leeds
            • 10 Leicester
            • 11 Liverpool
            • 12 Man City
            • 13 Man Utd
            • 14 Norwich
            • 15 Nottm Forest
            • 16 Sheffield Wed
            • 17 Southampton
            • 18 Swansea
            • 19 Tottenham
            • 20 Wolves

Comment

Oh, that came out different to how I expected. That's not my ideal finishing order, apart from the winners, obvs.

Comment

ah shite, I forgot Wimbledon. Swap them out for Spurs.

Nobody will notice.

Comment

I'm intrigued by your choice of Plymouth?

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me. Though if it's trying to spread the geography out it should probably be Bristol City nowadays. A decade ago we ran neck and neck but they've improved everything about the club, we most certainly have not.

My list would be the same as anton except maybe Blackburn for Palace and, much as it pains me, the red side of Bristol in place of Argyle.

Comment

Oh, I've nothing against Plymouth, just wasn't sure of AP's motivation. Geographical spread is a perfectly fair one, of course, if that's what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                        Norwich, Arsenal, Plymouth, Man Utd, Liverpool, Forest, Sunlun, Palace, Villa, West Ham, Southampton, West Brom, Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, Leicester, Wednesday, Spurs, Wolves, Derby, Norwich
                        Double Norwich. Excellent choice.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                          It'd have 24 clubs for a start.
                          Or 30, as was the case in Argentina until recently.

Comment

Plymoyth Argyle are in there for two reasons: (1) geographical spread (2) to have a team playing in green (they are the only one in the English leagues).

Comment

Apart from Yeovil (until the end of the season)...

Comment

Nothing shows age like trivia that is 16 seasons out of date.

Comment

One positive about Yeovil going out of the league is that they may end the ghastly tacky experiment with green & white hoops that they only adopted after winning promotion from the Conference.

Comment

I will probably find out in person next season but surely Forest Green play in green? Both parts of their name are green , they should have green shirts with brown shorts and socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                                      I will probably find out in person next season but surely Forest Green play in green? Both parts of their name are green , they should have green shirts with brown shorts and socks.
                                      Yellow and black, apparently.

Comment

No, it's (lime) green and black.

Though it should be black and white, there was a tacky rebrand in 2012
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-04-2019, 16:14.

Comment

I tried to construct a top flight with decent ownership out of all the sides who have ever played in the Premier League. I didn't even reach double figures...

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                            Many, many moons ago, I played against Forest Green reserves. I can remember that we won, I can remember it took ages to get there, but I can't remember what colour shirts they had.
                                            ​​​​​​
                                            A few moons before that, I played in a game in which Forest Green's current manager burst into tears when, at the behest of his dad (who wasn't the manager), he was substituted for not tackling back.
                                            Last edited by treibeis; 05-04-2019, 20:37.

Comment

I started typing in names of teams and as I started to type in Tottenham I realised that they didn't belong in my ideal top flight. Nothing against Spurs, but my ideal top flight is as it was in 1977/78, and they were a division below. That season was the first season that I took an interest in football and got my first Panini album. I was seduced by Brian Clough's Forest team, as were many kids in Lincoln at the time.
                                              This is what the perfect top flight should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                Plymoyth Argyle are in there for two reasons: (1) geographical spread (2) to have a team playing in green (they are the only one in the English leagues).
                                                Maybe Celtic should be allowed in.

Comment

Crusaders
                                                  Linfailed
                                                  Gurntoran
                                                  Criminville

Ballymena hey
                                                  Coleraine
                                                  A Prod Town
                                                  Glenavon

Larne
                                                  Carrick
                                                  Newry
                                                  Warren point

Mallards
                                                  Dungannon
                                                  Institute
                                                  Ards

Leagues with more than 16 teams are the spunk of Satan

Comment

Working...
                                                  X