Medal winners who never played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal winners who never played

Reserve goalkeepers in World Cup winning squads are going to feature heavily here I expect. But special mention must surely go to Jimmy Montgomerie, him of the impossible save for Sunderland in the 1973 Cup Final, who won a European Cup winners' medal with Nottingham Forest in 1980. Not only did he not play for Forest in the European Cup that year, he never actually played for them at all.

Jonathan Greening, 14 games in 3 years with Manchester United but still has a Champions league medal.

Comment

Jimmy Rimmer was sub goalkeeper for Man United and went off injured for Aston Villa in their European Cup successes.

Comment

German commentators always refer to anyone who was in a winning German squad as "Weltmeister", even if they never spent a minute on the pitch during the tournament. The same goes for the back-up staff. I've even heard the cook called it.

Comment

Like Montgomery, Peter McDonnell was sub GK for Liverpool in 1977 but never made an appearance for the club, his time there coinciding with Ray Clemence not missing a game between 1972 and 1978.

Comment

Ronaldo has a 1994 World Cup winners medal despite never coming on to the pitch.

Comment

I've got a Banbury and District League Reserve Team Cup Winners plastic/wood trophy, I didn't even make the bench.

Comment

Daniel Passarella has said in the past that, 'There are 43 people in Argentina with World Cup winner's medals, but only one of us has got two of them.'

Daniel Passarella didn't play a single minute at the 1986 World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                X