First and last (or most recent) football boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First and last (or most recent) football boots

I was cleaning crap out from under the stairs earlier and amongst the stuff I found was my last two pairs of boots and it got me reminiscing (cue harp music)
    My first boots were actually at least third hand from my two older brothers, they were made by a shoe firm from Dundalk called Blackthorn and they were real old fashioned type, big round toecap and high ankle support, they were more like rugby boots and were used to play Gaelic football in school.
    As soon as I started playing organised soccer I demanded a proper pair of boots and was bought a pair of Gola boots with lime green stripes, the same boots as everyone else, at times all 22 players would be wearing the same boots and when you saw someone with anything different they stood out.
    The first pair I fell in love with were the Adidas mundial that I first saw at the 1978 world cup and wore them and their successors for most of my playing days.
    I thought I was still an adherent of the three stripes but was surprised to find that my last boots were Mitre full studs and Diadora moulded studs for hard ground.

Not really the thread topic but you've given me somewhere to dump this.

Not content with their ridiculous Air Jordan PSG kit, Nike have decided to make football boots that look like basketball boots ;

Comment

MItre Sciroccos were my first pair (compulsory for primary school PE in later years), pretty certain that they are responsible for about 80% of the plastic currently polluting our oceans. Think they were available from the Argos catalogue, which would explain by the majority of our school wore them, apart from the rich kids who got fancy leather or even kangaroo leather ones.

Ended in adidas World Cups, along with Kings and asics Testimonial the greatest boots ever produced. Sure, a picture isn't required of the WC's, but I just want to get one on record.

Also got looking at my first gloves, blue bottom left

And ended up in these Sells.

Comment

First pair- Adidas Santiago
        Last pair - Adidas Copa Mundial

Comment

The first ones I can recall were Stylo. I don't remember much about them (Billy certainly hadn't been wearing them, judging by my performance level). But it's a name that sticks. "Stylo ..." - for the cool kids. Not the gangly one kitted out in PE shorts and oversized rugby shirt.

(Googling around I see Stylo has been rebooted - arf. I hope you can buy them at Freeman Hardy and Willis).

Comment

No idea what make my first pair of football boots were but I know I had to wear "old school shoes" until I had proper boots. Before that I had to play netball with the girls. My mum was mortified when she found out.

I think my most recent boots were by Patrick. It seems fitting.

Comment

When I first got a proper salary I went out and bought a pair of Puma Kings.

Playing football with them on was like swimming with goggles for the first time. Truly a wondrous boot. Comfortable like a slipper, but with amazing ball control and support. Even the laces were quality material. When they wore out I bought another pair. I often see former pros wearing them in charity matches. When they aren't paid to wear some kind of horrendous marketing shite, this is what they prefer.

Before that, I went through a few generations of the low-end priced Lotto boots. Seem to be the best value boot available in the price range that the parents were willing to stump up. Cheap and cheerful, got the job done.
              Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-03-2019, 00:36.

Comment

We had a bin bag full of my former pro uncle's boots in the loft, so my first pair aged 10 were a pair of Patricks with newspaper stuffed into the toes so they vaguely fitted. I've never really played since junior school so they'll be my last pair too.

Comment

My first pair were a pair of second hand Mitre boots in about 1994. I then went through a range of major manufacturers bargain boots (Nike, but not Tiempos, Adidas but not Predators, etc...).

My last pair from around 2002-2004 when I last played 11 a side was a pair of Nike boots - they were half black/half gold and were bloody lovely. I can't find a pic of them though.

Comment

My first pair were from Wakefield's, one of the three army-surplus+ stores called that in Rotherham. They made Billy's Boots look modern...

Comment

Remember pestering my parents for a pair of these.

Comment

Like elguapo and by the sound of it GO, my first pair were ancient (even in 1971) with round toes and high ankles.

My last, playing over 35s on the drought-hard Aussie turf in 2004 were black Umbros with white moulded stud soles, a white strip down the heel and tiny tricolour details. Just thought they looked cool although I broke a big toe in them, kicking the ground.

Comment

No one's owned up to coloured boots yet. Toby Gymshorts to thread.

Comment

My late 90s Adidas ones were blue with white and red trim - similar to these ones:

Comment

I must have had a pair of footy boots at one time or another as we played at school. No idea what they were though. It was certainly the only prior I owned.
                              All I have now are a pair of 25-ish year old Nike Astros which I've worn perhaps 8 times in that time.

Comment

I have literally no idea. I'm pretty sure my first pair were "The cheapest pair my mum could find that fitted", and weren't a proper brand at all and probably made of plasticy faux-leather. I do recall being very excited at, I guess, about 10 or 11, when I had a pair where the studs could be taken out, even though I never actually took the studs out. The most recent pair were some cheap astroturf boots. The ongoing theme here is "cheap" and "low end" and "I don't remember any details".

Comment

Same here.

They may have come from Sears Roebuck.

It was made clear to me that my baseball cleats

were not acceptable for the purpose.

Comment

You wouldn't want those running down your shin from a sliding tackle!

Comment

I was a keeper.

I saw them as having the potential of serving as a meaningful deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                        When I first got a proper salary I went out and bought a pair of Puma Kings.

Playing football with them on was like swimming with goggles for the first time. Truly a wondrous boot. Comfortable like a slipper, but with amazing ball control and support. Even the laces were quality material. When they wore out I bought another pair. I often see former pros wearing them in charity matches. When they aren't paid to wear some kind of horrendous marketing shite, this is what they prefer.

Before that, I went through a few generations of the low-end priced Lotto boots. Seem to be the best value boot available in the price range that the parents were willing to stump up. Cheap and cheerful, got the job done.
                                        The only boots I can remember wearing (including my current ones which may or may not be Sondico or something) are Puma Kings. I'm not much of a boot enthusiast but they are the only pair that stick in my mind for quality

Comment

Working...
                                        X