We Were On An International Break! Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Were On An International Break! Weekend Matchgoing

The scattering of qualifying fixtures across a potential five day period is incredibly annoying but at least this weekend it affords me the chance to see both club and country.

Saturday afternoon is Wimbledon v Gillingham and the hope that a rare recent match that both my son and I can attend doesn't see the The Dons' current good form derailed.

Sunday afternoon is Wales v Slovakia in our first 2020 qualifier, a match up that will always bring lovely memories of that glorious sun-dappled day in Bordeaux. We can't just wallow in nostalgia though - we need to win though as our next matches are the June away double-header in Croatia and Hungary.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2019, 19:26.

I hate international breaks.

I shall go to Meadow Lane in an attempt to comfort and console my Notts-supporting mate. They're playing Exeter.

Comment

Not a snark but surely Brentford have spent a lot of time in the lower leagues unaffected by international breaks?

That's before we get to international football being all kinds of ace, obviously.

Comment

Burton v Accrington for me. My plan was to tick off the last 10 or so grounds in the top 5 divisions before the end of the season, but last minute visits to Wakefield by mates living in Melbourne and Sydney, a new Romanian girlfriend and Spurs moving back home have almost certainly put paid to that. Curses! Last Friday I had a date with said Romanian in Wimbledon and then got the Megabus overnight to Sunderland for their game v Walsall. I am a real catch.

Still, at least I can make a start on the Romanian grounds next season. She will be pleased...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Not a snark but surely Brentford have spent a lot of time in the lower leagues unaffected by international breaks?

That's before we get to international football being all kinds of ace, obviously.
          I'm not sure international breaks existed when they were in the lower leagues. When did they start?

But they are affected now and I prefer watching Brentford.

And England friendlies and qualifying campaigns are usually excruciatingly dull.
          Last edited by cantagalo; 22-03-2019, 00:09.

Comment

How much more frequent are international breaks than they used to be? Genuine question. The increase would have mostly happened with the break up of the Soviet Union and (to a lesser extent) Balkan nations some decades ago, I suppose.

Fair point on England's campaigns I suppose but, in general, international football is no more dull than the upper leagues...and frequently far more exciting.

Comment

I should've been going to Luton vs Doncaster on Saturday - always a pleasure/pain experience as I love Kenilworth Road... until I try and sit down in it - but have had to can that to go and interview someone for the fanzine after another interview fell through earlier in the week.

Sunday I'll be sat just over Ray's right shoulder for Wales v Slovakia.

Comment

Cheltenham are at home to Northampton this weekend so I shall be attending. I'll also be going to my 8 year old's tournament in the morning.

Given neither Cheltenham nor Northampton really have anything to play for, I expect I'll see more competitiveness in the morning than the afternoon.

Comment

Grange Albion v Caerphilly Athletic on Saturday. Wales v Slovakia on Sunday

Come down if you are in Cardiff for the Wales game - free in! Tier 5 in Welsh pyramid.
                  Last edited by ingoldale; 22-03-2019, 10:55.

Comment

Crawley v Lincoln for me. Over 750 away tickets sold, and pay on the day available - bloody glory seekers. Just hope the game is better than last year. Watched Crawley beat us earlier in the season at SB and after their mauling last week against Crewe I expect another difficult encounter. No doubt Ollie Palmer will score against us.

Comment

Playing in the FA People's Cup@ Goals Wimbledon. Over-35s semis. Would be huge if we make it to the finals @ St. George's Park. We have a decent chance tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

Sunday I'll be sat just over Ray's right shoulder for Wales v Slovakia.

Comment

Does Tuesday's Euro2020 qualifier count as weekend matchgoing?

Comment

Yeah, UEFA seem to think a weekend runs from Thursday to Tuesday so why can't we?

Comment

Slovakia U21 vs Greece U21 in a friendly in Zilina in under an hour's time. Best get going.

Comment

Not totally decided for tomorrow - leaning towards Poynton v Whaley Bridge in the Cheshire League. Sunday will be the Vase semi between Northwich and Chertsey.

Comment

I was supposed to be in Newcastle tomorrow at a pastoral induction service for my sister in law. Instead I'm in Shrewsbury due to recent events. Mum has said she would like to go to the match. So I'm taking her to Shrewsbury v Portsmouth, sitting in my Dad's seat.

My first football match where I won't be able to talk to him about it afterwards. Getting that painfulness over and done fast.

Comment

Every best wish PT

When my Mum died in 2017, we arranged the funeral for 1100 the following Saturday.. Brother went to Cliftonville- Linfield afterwards. I demurred and sat in the Sun looking out over Belfast Lough. So respectively what she would have wanted and being kind to ourselves, I think

Comment

The Sentinelese Islanders have a saying; “if you think this is remote, try and get to Shelley's ground”.

Somehow, they have managed to rise from creation to the North West Counties League in eight seasons. ‘They’ being Shelley, not the Sentinelese Islands, who are firmly in the realms of CONIFA.

Storthes Hall Park is in a forest, on a mountain top, with a tenuous Huddersfield post code. I spent last summer walking the Pennine Way to prepare myself for today’s ascent of the north face of the ground.

Already being a member of the Groundcranks Uber elite of having attended a midweek Bishop Sutton game by public transport, just getting to Shelley will be viewed with near immortality by the dandruff and Farah brigade on Kempster.

Anyway, I am just going outside now. I may be some time.

Comment

Spain - Norway this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                                          The Sentinelese Islanders have a saying; “if you think this is remote, try and get to Shelley's ground”.

Somehow, they have managed to rise from creation to the North West Counties League in eight seasons. ‘They’ being Shelley, not the Sentinelese Islands, who are firmly in the realms of CONIFA.

Storthes Hall Park is in a forest, on a mountain top, with a tenuous Huddersfield post code. I spent last summer walking the Pennine Way to prepare myself for today’s ascent of the north face of the ground.

Already being a member of the Groundcranks Uber elite of having attended a midweek Bishop Sutton game by public transport, just getting to Shelley will be viewed with near immortality by the dandruff and Farah brigade on Kempster.

Anyway, I am just going outside now. I may be some time.
                                          There's a direct bus from Huddersfield University isn't there? (Storthes Hall is mostly student accommodation). Obviously being allowed on the bus is probably beyond most groundhoppers, and once off the bus it's still a bit of a walk up a track to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I was supposed to be in Newcastle tomorrow at a pastoral induction service for my sister in law. Instead I'm in Shrewsbury due to recent events. Mum has said she would like to go to the match. So I'm taking her to Shrewsbury v Portsmouth, sitting in my Dad's seat.

My first football match where I won't be able to talk to him about it afterwards. Getting that painfulness over and done fast.
                                            I was hoping they'd win for you. I was going to say I can imagine how choking the day was, but I can't quite. I lost my Mum but it wasn't sudden, and I think that makes a bit of a difference. Though it's always been poignant going to places she spent time in and loved. All the very best to you and your close ones anyway.

Slovakia U21 4 Greece U21 3 last night. Slovakia were 2-0 up after 8 minutes and 3-1 up after 19. Greece equalised at 3-3 around the hour and then either side could have won it. Slovakia scrambled in a set-piece clincher in the 89th minute. My main conclusion is that a Greece team that has to chase a game is a much more fun proposition than one that takes a 1-0 lead and then clings dourly on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              Spain - Norway this evening.
                                              Well, chaos getting in and to our seats as so many casual fans who had no idea where to go but we got there.

Good atmosphere but as always on these occasions there's a Mexican wave which is great for the kids but crap for real footie fans. And the wave came about with Spain only 1-0 up and during it Norway got their penalty and goal. I had told my son that it was tempting fate and I was right.

De Gea: why does he seem so diffident and almost like a little boy lost when playing for Spain? Like someone starting a new job not knowing exactly where to find things. He's an excellent goalie but his body language is not that of the traditional great keeper. The bloke next to me was pining for Kepa which, yeah, maybe not the best pine in the world.

Official attendance: nearly 40,000. Bollocks. I know this stadium very well and there were no more than 30 K there.
                                              Last edited by Sporting; 24-03-2019, 14:28. Reason: Extra info

Comment

From the broadcast, there seemed to be a huge number of kids there.

I was also struck by how diffident De Gea can be with Spain. Did one or more of the parties fail in the succession from San Iker? Does he suffer from not having club teammates in front of him?

Morata could have given Spain a comfortable win with a bit of decent finishing.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Morata could have given Spain a comfortable win with a bit of decent finishing.
                                                  *Weeps quietly*

Comment

Working...
                                                  X