No announcement yet.

We Were On An International Break! Weekend Matchgoing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jameswba View Post

    I was hoping they'd win for you. I was going to say I can imagine how choking the day was, but I can't quite. I lost my Mum but it wasn't sudden, and I think that makes a bit of a difference. Though it's always been poignant going to places she spent time in and loved. All the very best to you and your close ones anyway.
    As the first game I wouldn't be able to dissect with Dad it was ideal, because there was nothing really to speak of. Shrewsbury were undone by two defensive errors. Their forwards were snuffed out by the Pompey centre backs. Pompey players also had a habit of flopping onto the ball to claim a free kick and the ref fell for it every time. And they took it in turns to kick Anthony Grant. Three of their bookings were for fouls on him.

    If dad had seen the second goal, when a communication mix up between the goalie and defender let an opponent steal possession on the edge of the area, he would have mithered on about it all night. So we were spared that.

    People were nice. Mum's football besties are stunned. One hugged her for so long in the concourse wheb we got there I wondered if we would miss kick off. I felt quite disconnected for most of the game, although mum did tell me off for shouting at the assistant referee when she got some calls wrong. So I must have been reflexively engaged.


      Originally posted by Sash View Post
      Playing in the FA People's Cup@ Goals Wimbledon. Over-35s semis. Would be huge if we make it to the finals @ St. George's Park. We have a decent chance tbf.
      Lost in the semis semis again ffs. An unlucky rebound did for us this time. Grrrr... Trying again next year, of course.

      The side that qualified for the finals had a old timer with incredible feet up top. I think he was the best 5-a-side player in the country back in the day. Apparently came through the system at Marseille w/o making the first team. Also hits a dead ball ridiculously hard... w/o any back lift. My face still hurts after one of his free-kicks.


        Grange Albion 4-0 Caerphilly Athletic

        Grange took an early lead which was then doubled and trebled by an early substitute due to injury. Said substitute didn't come out after half-time either because he had to go to work. Another goal in the second half rounded off their best performance in weeks.

        Wales 1-0 Slovakia

        A glorious day to watch football in Cardiff. I thought Wales edged the first half and we deserved leaders at half-time but the second half was largely dominated by Slovakia who lacked a killer pass really and didn't get the equaliser their play probably deserved. A great start to the campaign for the Welsh though.


          I've been in Munich since Friday - managed to combine attendance at a translation conference today with meeting up with a few mates at the weekend, including two matches:

          1860 Munich 1-0 SV Meppen: Saturday saw me finally get to watch a match at the Grünwalder Stadion, something I'd long wanted to do but never got around to when living in Germany. As with all their home games, it was a sell-out and each online buyer is restricted to two tickets each, so we had to place several orders for collection on Saturday morning to be able to get to the match. Was worth all the faffing about though, great atmosphere and a game with plenty of chances but few goals. Sascha Mölders started well, smashing a shot over the keeper and against the bar early on, and there probably should have been a lot more goals than just the one, scored from the spot after about half an hour. There was some sort of protest going on to do with the ultras in the main blocks right behind the goal - not entirely sure what it was all about and haven't had the time to find out yet, but the concourse beneath the stand was absolutely rammed as no-one was entering (not allowed to for whatever reason, or was it a deliberate statement, we really weren't sure) but as there is just one entrance to the Westkurve, anyone wanting to get past to the other blocks also joined the crush, until it was impossible to get any further. Absolutely ridiculous and disconcerting to think about, the police were nowhere to be seen and a lot of people missed the start of the match due to the silly bollocks going on down in the concourse.

          FC Erding 1-2 SV Dornach: Took it easy after everyone else headed home at lunchtime on Sunday and hopped on the S2 out into the countryside to watch a match in the Bezirksliga. Nice little ground in a pleasant-looking town (which is of course famous for the Weißbier brewed there) and a game that improved markedly after half-time as tempers frayed in the spring sunshine. Dornach took the win, having gone 2-0 ahead and then conceding a totally unnecessary goal shortly afterwards that gave Erding a sniff of a chance and got the one-man ultra movement and his drum quite agitated.


            Cheltenham 3-1 Northampton

            We are simply mustard at home, which is a hell of a turnaround from the beginning of the season and the last couple under Gary Johnson. We hit Northampton from the off and, but for a couple of forays into our defensive third, we were pretty dominant. The first goal - from a rejuvenated Luke Varney - came from Kevin Dawson doing brilliantly to pounce on a mistake by ex-Cheltenham youth product Sam Foley. The pen to go 2-0 up was as clear cut as any I've seen this season.

            Second half we sat back and picked the Cobblers off on the break. The third goal finally coming from a corner with Tyrone Barnett - also rejuvenated after a nightmare spell at Port Vale - got his second goal in two home games.

            Our performance was soured by conceding late on, but Dean Bowditch's free-kick was extremely well taken.

            Michael Duff has turned this team around and deserves some major plaudits. It all adds to an exciting summer.


              Friday. England 5-0 Czech Republic.

              Friday Night, kipped on a bench at Heathrow Airport.

              Saturday, flew to Stuttgart, then a train to Karlsruhre. 3. Liga Karlsruhre 1-1 Hansa Rostock. Proper old fashioned ground, unfortunately didn't get a game in before they demolished and started building behind one goal. Slept a lot better than the previous night, this time in a bed.

              Sunday, train to Kaiserslautern. 3. Liga 1. FC Kaiserslautern 1-3 VfL Osnabruck, train to Trier.

              Monday morning, had a good look around Trier, walked past Karl-Marx-Haus about 5 times before clocking where it was. Monday afternoon, train to Luxembourg City, the city's got a bloody big hole in the middle of it, interesting place though. Monday night, Luxembourg 1-2 Ukraine, last minute own goal winner for Ukraine. Train back to Trier, get back to the Hotel 1ish.

              Tuesday, train to Dusseldorf, flew to Heathrow, went Home.


                As the weather was quite nice I went up to Cumbria on Saturday. I started the day with Parkrun at Ulverston before seal spotting on Walney Island. For the afternoon I went to Kirkby-in-Furness, which has very little in common with its Merseyside namesake. Here I watched Kirkby United play Swarthmoor Social in the second round of the Paul Wilson Trophy (the Furness Premier League's league cup). Swarthmoor surprised league leaders Kirkby by twice having a two goal lead and were 3-2 up at half time. The second half saw Kirkby having chance after chance to equalise but not finding the net. With a few minutes left they were awarded a penalty but a tame effort was saved. It seemed that Swarthmoor would hold on but then, in the third minute of stoppage time, Kirkby finally levelled the score. In the ensuing celebrations a home player was sent off, after throwing a few punches at someone on the visitors bench. The match went to penalties, with Kirkby scoring all four whilst Swarthmoor missed their second and fourth (the second player scored with his first chance, but hadn't waited for the referee to blow his whistle so had to retake it).

                On Sunday I went to Witton's ground to watch Northwich Victoria play Chertsey Town in the first leg of the FA Vase semi final. This was postponed from the previous weekend, meaning that both legs of the other semi had been played (Cray Valley Paper Mills beat Canterbury in that one). The game was fairly cagey, not helped by a strong wind. Chertsey took the lead shortly before half time but Northwich equalised with around twenty minutes remaining. Over 1200 present, including a fair number supporting the visitors.

                Tonight I've been to see a City of Liverpool play Barnoldswick Town. Not the most exciting match, with the home side winning 2-0 after goals in the 19th and 20th minutes. The result means City of Liverpool have a five point lead over landlords Bootle at the top of the North West Counties with five games remaining, with the two sides meeting in their penultimate fixture on Easter Monday.


                  I wasn't there but Goal of the Season (or at least assist of the season) contender for Dunston tonight in a game where they clinched the Northern League title :



                    Great stuff Mthp. A friend of mine follows Karlsruhe and is quite distraught at the rebuilding of the ground.


                      I went to Glebe v Erith Town in the SECL Premier last night. It was the more adventurous of the two options I was trying to decide between all day as it entailed a trip from my office to the south-east London/Kent border and then back across London home. The other match was Met Police v Kingstonian in the Surrey Senior Cup quarter-final which was ten minutes from my house.

                      Anyway, there must be a German word for the feeling of watching an annoyingly bad-tempered humdrum match that seems certain to end in a 0-0 draw (which would have been my first of the season, not bad in 49 games I thought) while you monitor scoring in the other match you'd been pondering go from 2-0 to 2-3 to 5-3.

                      In the end, Glebe scored a contentious 89th minute penalty and I was sort of upset that the purity of the 0-0 the game deserved was snatched from me. They have a nice little set up there which I suppose is pretty impressive for a club that's been in existence for less than 25 years and have only had their own ground since 2015.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-03-2019, 12:06.