No announcement yet.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers and associated friendlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duda looked very good last night (and when I saw him for Hertha recently) but hopefully we'll be well aware of his threat as he scored against us in the Euro 2016 game. I did wonder about the multiple pints thrown at him and his team mates as they celebrated the opening goal (seemingly from the home sections) but maybe it was Hungarian fans given what you said above.

Romanian fans are another lot who love their black tops, when I saw them play Switzerland at Parc des Princes (again in Euro 2016. No, I'm never going to shut up about it) there was a solid mass of hundreds of them all in black pseudo-paramilitary gear right behind the goal.

Comment

Yes, those were away fans. You had to register an ID number for tickets for the game, and ID's were checked on the way in. Was it just my imagination that the UK nationality on my EU citizen's permanent residence card raised a sympathetic smile from the guard who checked me? But Slovakia has a 500,000 strong Hungarian community, and these people, unlike those with addresses in Hungary itself would have had to be admitted to the home areas. I presume so anyway, and that it was a group of them who chucked their beer at Duda. There seemed to be three such small pockets of Hungary support in the home sections.

If there are banners from Stropkov, Trebisov or Snina in Cardiff, these are the sorts of faraway eastern Slovak towns where Slovakia's most loyal supporters are from. The night trains home from games in Trnava are always full of them. I get the impression some of them spend the entire journey - 7 hours or more - knocking back the slivovica or vodka. It's only 2 hours back to Zilina, and that feels like a long enough night for me.

Comment

The name North Macedonia was chosen to end a dispute with Greece AFAIK (Greece has its own Macedonian territory to the south). Are there any precedents for a nation state changing its name between the qualifying draw and the qualifiers?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          The name North Macedonia was chosen to end a dispute with Greece AFAIK (Greece has its own Macedonian territory to the south). Are there any precedents for a nation state changing its name between the qualifying draw and the qualifiers?
          You've the RCS as the interim Czechoslovakia during the USA '94 qualifiers at any rate.

Comment

No start for Deaglán de Rís tonight.

Comment

Chilwell and Sancho? Never bloody heard of them.

Comment

Sancho's been one of Dortmund's players of the season (though more prominent before Christmas), and Chilwell's at Leicester.

Comment

Was that really a penalty?

Comment

Cracking own goal.

Comment

Ukraine get a 0-0 away to Portugal, despite Ronaldo's return to the national side.

Comment

Luxembourg beating Lithuania seems a turn-up.

Comment

England looked pretty good going forward but that's still a very average defence behind them.

My man CHO fitted straight in when he came on.

Comment

Argentina lost 3-1 to Venezuela in Madrid.

Comment

It pains me to say it but Raheem Sterling really does look the finished article now. If things had worked out differently in 2014 he might have had another five years under Brendan at Anfield. Wonder what a difference that would have made.

Comment

He'd be a lesser player?

Comment

Is there a thread on here about how many national teams people have seen in the flesh? With Norway today I'll be up to a paltry 10 or so and obviously some of you will be far beyond that figure. I'll start a thread if there's interest.

Comment

I don't recall us having done that before, which is somewhat surprising.

I would guess that I am somewhere short of 20, but also have the issue of whether one counts oddities like this

Comment

Why aren't Gibraltar cursed with the standard anthem? Are they not really British?

Comment

Memories of Eschen in 1995 are ringing alarm bells.

Comment

Watching Sweden v Romania. Currently 2-0, and have just realised there is a woman commentator. Dunno if she is any good, as my Spanish is bad, but she does a nice line in the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL" thing. (It's on Univision.)

This game also reminds me of a playoff for the 1974 World Cup between these two. Something to do with the Panini sticker book mentioning it.

Comment

Every time I think of going back to watch Ireland games they shit on my doorstep again and remind me I made the right decision.

Comment

Great save there from Randolph.

How long until we see Glenn Whelan I wonder

Comment

Ireland score on the counter attack. Actually a nice goal.

McMick and young Mick Byrne looking chuffed
                                                ​​​​

Comment

About the best one can say is that it'll be three points on the board - far from edifying football.

Comment

Second place in England's group is up for grabs - maybe Kosovo or Montenegro?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X