No announcement yet.

Euro 2020 Qualifiers and associated friendlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The comments on that link are hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

They are disturbingly good, possessing pace, skill and crisp passing, two footed players and bags of goals. There is also a bedrock in DM who is going to propel this team to international glory. This Rice fellow will take them past the SF, mark my words.
      As good as England are going forward - and I have to say this is the most exciting England I've seen in my lifetime - they look vulnerable still in defence. You have to believe a decent team going forward would have punished England more severely last night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I was just watching a rerun of Frankie Boyle hosting that show at the apollo, and he had a great line "It's not that all Scottish people want the england team to do badly at international tournaments, some would be happy to just see the team plane crash into a mountain."

Now that's a bit extreme, but I wouldn't weep if Gareth Southgate got piles. England can't be allowed have nice things. That entity has not behaved itself well recently. As a nation you are on the naughty step.
        Yes, yes, it is a little bit extreme, isn't it. But there you go. If last night's result made Frankie Boyle unhappy then England is a sunnier place as a consequence. And Montenegrin racists. They're unhappy too. Terrific.

And there's you. I don't want such an esteemed OTF colleague to be miserable exactly, especially one doomed to watch a Mick McCarthy-managed international team for the next few years, but if I do catch the strains of a mournful banjo on the westerly winds after another England win I may allow myself a small smile.

Thanks for Declan Rice, BTW. He looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

As good as England are going forward - and I have to say this is the most exciting England I've seen in my lifetime - they look vulnerable still in defence. You have to believe a decent team going forward would have punished England more severely last night.
          Yes, the defence is the big concern, but I don't think that last night's was anything like the best starting back four. Keane and Rose shouldn't be anywhere near it, possibly Walker either. Stones, Gomez, Chilwell and a few others are much better options. Sort that out and keep Ruben Loftus-Cheek fit and we'll look very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yes, yes, it is a little bit extreme, isn't it. But there you go. If last night's result made Frankie Boyle unhappy then England is a sunnier place as a consequence. And Montenegrin racists. They're unhappy too. Terrific.

And there's you. I don't want such an esteemed OTF colleague to be miserable exactly, especially one doomed to watch a Mick McCarthy-managed international team for the next few years, but if I do catch the strains of a mournful banjo on the westerly winds after another England win I may allow myself a small smile.

Thanks for Declan Rice, BTW. He looks great.
            Don't forget Michael Keane.

Comment

Nice goal last night but he doesn't really look international quality. We'll see though.

Comment

The thing about England at the moment, which is unique in my lifetime, is that there is no first XI. There is an incredible pool of about 25 or more players who could start for England and the team would perform more or less the same.

A wealth of talent and a manager who knows and understands that talent who is well respected by his players. As has already been said, talent doesn't equal the luck you need to win a tournament, but for the first time in my lifetime, England are easily and unarguably one of the strongest looking nations at men's football.

Comment

pool of about 25 or more players who could start for England and the team would perform more or less the same.
                  i'll give you that

Comment

William Hill tournament odds. Harsh on Belgium maybe:

France 3/1
                    England 4/1
                    Spain 13/2
                    Germany, Belgium 8/1

Looks like England v France from this distance but there's a long way to go.

Comment

A lot of home betting going on there. England and Germany too short, Belgium too long.

Comment

Don't agree with Belgium being too long tbh. Good bet for the knockout stages but I don't see them as potential winners.

Comment

If England qualify (they will) they'll play two group games at Wembley and one at Hampden. Win the group, and their route to the final takes them via Dublin and Rome then back to Wembley. It's probably the least arduous route they could hope for in a tournament also being hosted in Baku, St Petersburg and Bucharest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            A lot of home betting going on there. England and Germany too short, Belgium too long.
                            England having home advantage from the semi-finals onwards (and you would imagine they should get that far) may be a factor in that. I'd say second favourites behind France is about right.

Edit - cross-post with Rogin, I'd actually forgotten all their group games would be in the UK too.

Comment

Don't agree with Belgium being too long tbh. Good bet for the knockout stages but I don't see them as potential winners.
                              I suppose that, given the number of games to be held at Wembley, England may benefit from some considerable home advantage.

I still think that 8/1 is too long for Belgium but I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                If England qualify (they will) they'll play two group games at Wembley and one at Hampden. Win the group, and their route to the final takes them via Dublin and Rome then back to Wembley. It's probably the least arduous route they could hope for in a tournament also being hosted in Baku, St Petersburg and Bucharest.
                                Would Italy be seeded to play them in Rome?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

England having home advantage from the semi-finals onwards (and you would imagine they should get that far) may be a factor in that. I'd say second favourites behind France is about right.

Edit - cross-post with Rogin, I'd actually forgotten all their group games would be in the UK too.
                                  Yup, agreed.

Comment

Loving this.

Comment

The current odds from the Italian state bookmaker are instructive:

France: 4.75
                                      England: 7.00
                                      Spain: 7.00
                                      Belgium: 8.00
                                      Germany: 8.00
                                      Italy: 12.00
                                      Holland: 13.00
                                      Portugal: 15.00

Comment

Ireland 200/1, but those odds could be shorter if we get drawn in the easy half of the semi-finals. Also, I expect many London Irish to turn out at Wembley in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Would Italy be seeded to play them in Rome?
                                          Will the England players be granted visas to play in Rome?

Comment

Well a load of them can travel on Irish Passports.

Comment

That's true.

Comment

Ireland are 150 to 1 in Italy. Wales are exactly half that.

Comment

That's because the Italians remember Robbie Keane.

Comment

Glenn Whelan.

Jaysus.

If I was Harry Arter I'd fuck off intil Kenny is in charge.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X