No announcement yet.

The other W Wanderers: Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an Oxford fan (from a distance these days) can I say that it looks like a completely legitimate goal in an potentially relegation-preventing late season win. If it had been a Bradford goal, I'd have been utterly scandalised had it been allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      It's still the rule and there's no doubt about it, so it applies.

Whether the rule is right not is a different question. It could be changed to the kicker can choose to play it with an opponent in the area.
      Well, no, it really does seem to be about advantage to the opponents:

"If an opponent who is in the penalty area when the goal kick is taken, or enters the penalty area before the ball is in play, touches or challenges for the ball before it has touched another player, the goal kick is retaken."

from http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...-the-goal-kick
      Last edited by Jimski; 18-03-2019, 06:34.

Comment

That's the punishment if they breach the rule though

"The ball is in play when it leaves the penalty area
        Opponents must be outside the penalty area until the ball is in play"

I don't think it is just about advantage to the opponents. It also limits the advantage to the team with the kick. In that clip the 4 Bradford players in the area are immediately bypassed and are left behind the action. I don't see why the team with the kick deserves an advantage from the restart as the kick isn't the result of a foul.
        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 18-03-2019, 07:00.

Comment

Sully Sports 3-2 Grange Albion

An absolute ding dong in blustery Sully. The wind limited the chances of any actual football being played but both sides made the most of set pieces with four of the five goals coming from dead ball situations. Grange played most of the game with 10 men having had their striker sent off after lashing out following a bad challenge. Another melee, another red. They held on until 5 minutes to go when Sully headed home from a cross.

Comment

Fulham 1 Liverpool 3

Experienced all the seasons in row H of Putney End. Could barely see Hammersmith End through the hail at one point in the 2nd half. It was lovely when the sun came properly... AFTER the game.

Tell you what, Sergio Rico is absolutely terrible. Hand in both Liverpool goals. Doesn't get enough flack but a major contributor to Fulham's current predicament. Just exudes misery out there.

As for Liverpool... well, conceded a ridiculous goal for the 3rd game running but again no panic, stepped it up a bit and won the game. Tbf Fulham were very weak and the crowd pretty resigned. Not sure how they're going to do anything to City but Parker comes across as a fairly serious and sensible dude. He has 2 weeks to come up with something.

Comment

Bradford City were terrible on Saturday and have been terrible all season. One dodgy goal kick won't change that

Comment

We've all got skin in the game. A draw would have been better for Shrewsbury.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  That's the punishment if they breach the rule though

"The ball is in play when it leaves the penalty area
                  Opponents must be outside the penalty area until the ball is in play"

I don't think it is just about advantage to the opponents. It also limits the advantage to the team with the kick. In that clip the 4 Bradford players in the area are immediately bypassed and are left behind the action. I don't see why the team with the kick deserves an advantage from the restart as the kick isn't the result of a foul.
                  Well it's certainly not unambiguous, since it's not actually listed among the items that require the goal kick to be retaken. Open to interpretation, shall we say in conclusion?

Comment

I think SB had it right. If the team we support were on the receiving end then there would be no doubt about the interpretation. I still think the rules are quite clear and that kick was technically illegal. But after Saturday I'd love to see my team showing such urgency and initiative.

Comment

I also think that if Bradford had done the same and the ref hadn't even stopped to consider it, then I wouldn't have noticed. A lot of the trouble was down to the chaotic situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X