Shouting at Scholes - Midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouting at Scholes - Midweek matchgoing

Sincil Bank welcomes the Ginger One and Oldham Athletic tonight. Last time we met was the FA Cup second round two years ago, when we clung on to victory with the match shrouded in fog.
    Tonight will likely see more weather worries with high winds forecast. Hilarity may ensue, or Oldham will win 1-0. Either way I'm gonna be freezing and not going to enjoy it.

Wimbledon v Peterborough for me, The Dons attempting to whittle down the gap from safety to something more manageable than the current seven points.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-03-2019, 17:35.

Comment

The race for the last Championship play-off place now extends down to Swansea in 15th place.

After my poor decision not to go to Middlesbrough on Saturday, I'm heading to Bramall Lane but still in hope rather than expectation. Brentford have injury problems and a thin squad. Sheffield United are very impressive and will be unlucky if they don't get automatic promotion.

Comment

Bradford City v Luton, who haven't lost to anyone in a long time.
        It's the type of game where we all say 'it would be typical City to be rubbish all season but beat Luton' and then lose 4-0 anyway

Comment

Maltby Main v North Gawber Colliery in the semi final of the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup, weather permitting.

Comment

I've got a ticket for Loftus Road tomorrow evening. Hopefully I'm up to going.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
              Bradford City v Luton, who haven't lost to anyone in a long time.
              It's the type of game where we all say 'it would be typical City to be rubbish all season but beat Luton' and then lose 4-0 anyway
              When I was in the UK in February, in Look East territory, I found myself repeatedly shouting at the TV as they went on and on about this unbeaten run.

Look East sports reporter:Luton haven't lost for 18 games
              Enraged ad hoc (inaudibly to said reporter) in the league!

LESR: This amazing unbeaten run of Luton's stretching back to last year
              Ead: IN THE FUCKING LEAGUE DICKHEAD

I am sure my mum was happy to have me around

Comment

I should probably mention that Luton's unbeaten run is in the league only, before I upset anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                  Sincil Bank welcomes the Ginger One and Oldham Athletic tonight. Last time we met was the FA Cup second round two years ago, when we clung on to victory with the match shrouded in fog.
                  Tonight will likely see more weather worries with high winds forecast. Hilarity may ensue, or Oldham will win 1-0. Either way I'm gonna be freezing and not going to enjoy it.
                  Scholes is apparently ill and his assistant Mick Priest will be taking charge tonight.

Comment

Last night I watched Everton's Premier League 2 title challenge held up by a resolute Arsenal defence in the first goalless match I've seen for about six months.

I'm now waiting to hear how the pitch inspection goes at Rylands for Southport's Liverpool Senior Cup semi final. If that's off I'll head to Burscough for the Lancashire Amateur Cup semi final between Leigh Foundry and Newburgh.

Comment

Am going to a very blustery Twerton Park for a cheeky Tuesday night game against Hampton & Richmond. Not much more to report in advance but much needed after a mental day at school.

Comment

A dry afternoon meant that the first competitive match under the lights at Rylands. The home side took an early lead, a little against the run of play, before Southport regrouped and equalised before half time. The second half saw us take control but struggle to break down the home defence. The deadlock was broken with quarter of an hour left by Homson-Smith from a direct free kick that the home keeper misread. A third goal appeared to secure the win, with the little hope that Rylands had gong when a late penalty was saved.

This result means that Southport are now through to the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup, against either Prescot or Widnes. The dream of a first Lancashire/ Liverpool cup double in 26 years remains on course.

Comment

Zilina 4 Skalica 1 : Slovak Cup Quarter-Final

Like most domestic midweek games, it was an early kick-off (5pm). So it was a rush to get from work for many supporters, with only pensioners and schoolkids in the ground ten minutes before the start. There were still people entering as half-time approached.

Enjoyable game though, with second tier Skalica contributing the best goal (a direct free-kick by captain Lukas Opiela which reduced the deficit to 2-1) and plenty of neat passing moves. Their problem was that they weren't quick enough to take up the right positions when Zilina had the ball, so the hosts enjoyed lots of space. Zilina's no 27, Jaroslav Mihalik especially enjoyed himself. He set up his side's first and last goals and scored the middle two. As a fringe Slovakia national team player, he ought to be having more games like this against top league opponents.

Comment

Contrary to media reports, Scholes did indeed turn up at Sincil Bank and for about 15-20 minutes I was pretty scared that Oldham might get a result against us last night. They moved the ball well, we didn't appear to close them down and they certainly looked the livelier of the two teams, forcing Gilks into a couple of decent saves from distance. Things seemed to swing back Lincoln's way after John Akinde missed a sitter from 6 yards, brilliantly made by Bruno Andrade. What with Matt Rhead winding the defence up and Tom Pett and Mark O'Hara getting a grip on central midfield, Lincoln looked the more threatening and following a corner that wasn't cleared, Harry Toffolo finished neatly having been put through by a clever O'Hara pass.
                            Things got worse for Oldham before the break as Jose Baxter took out Harry Anderson in a tackle reminiscent of Scholes himself and was given a straight red.

Danny Rowe came on for City for Matt Rhead and we controlled the game completely. Andrade twatted the ball from distance against the underside of the bar, Rowe linked up with Anderson to score a beautiful second and it seemed that we'd get three or four. We wasted a few chances, and were denied by a few good saves.

Missed O'Conner's set pieces and Neal Eardley had another one of his off days when everything he crossed seemed to go out of play. Seems that O'Hara is really getting good for us now, and will be a struggle for Frecklington to get back into the starting XI at this rate. Results for Mansfield and MK Dons went our way, but a big test at Field Mill on Monday night (AND IT'S LIVE). Would be massive leap if we could win that. Glad to see back to back home wins and clean sheets.

Comment

Wimbledon got a deserved 1-0 win, even it eventually came from what has since come to look like a dubious 87th minute penalty. Four wins from the last six now, two of them at home in the last four days (the first in the league since Boxing Day) off the back of three clean sheets in a row. The gap to safety now down to four points which has cruelly given everyone hop that had all but evaporated up until recently.

Darren Ferguson and The Posh are still a very bad-tempered bunch too.

Comment

I finally hobble here and then lose my ticket. Luckily it's after I'm in but I've no idea where my fellow London Millers are

Comment

Barnsley 0-0 Sunderland

Overall, a positive result last night for the Super Reds. Sunderland hadn't failed to score in a single league match until last night, but we limited them to just four shots of which only one was on target.
                                  That's five matches in a row since we last conceded. The real winner, however, was the wind. Has anyone ever seen good football in strong winds? I don't think I have.

Comment

It shouldn't be that hard to find them in an away following of about 36 should it GO? (Joking)

Comment

Incidentally our token QPR fan, AdC, is the only regular poster who was alive when we won away to QPR for the only time. In 1951...

Comment

By the way, AdC will be delighted to know that we're wearing what he perfectly described as our pyjamas...

Comment

Just missed the best chance of the game.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Bigger miss from them...

Comment

Fucking bollocks.

Comment

QPR have suddenly become very southern; ie divey and whiney.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X