Doing Dons Donny - Weekend Matchgoing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnsley v Accrington

Our team choices will be limited due to both Jacob Brown and Cameron McGeehan getting three match suspensions from the Southend game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of ballboys and a tea lady on the bench.
    Lots of FA conspiracy theories flying round at the moment because of McGeehan's after the fact three match suspension, that means he misses today, ThelikesofDoncaster and most importantly - Sunderland. (The FA would prefer Sunderland in Championship apparently.)

That's our excuses sorted then.

Comment

My nearest away fixture in this division, at Brackley. Having seen two mediocre games there previously I wasn't feeling inspired to go when the cheap train tickets were released. And then the run started, 21 unbeaten right now, of which 17 were wins, this kind of form is so rare that when it happens to your own team you can't not go. Car then.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
        There's a groundhop in the North West Counties so I'm keeping well clear of that and going elsewhere in the league for Steeton v Holker Old Boys. Steeton play at Cougar Park in Keighley so this is a useful opportunity to visit the venue without having to watch rugby league.
        Steeton's off. Waterlogged pitch

Comment

Another Lincoln-Yeovil report. My eldest came down from Edinburgh in time for her second visit to Sincil Bank - first time she came we had Frecklington sent off and lost 1-0. I reminded her of this before the game. It looked like Eardley was going to be this time's red card in the first half for a terrible two-legged lunge that flattened a Yeovillain, but he got away with a yellow. That aside, a very assured defensive performance, and the general murmuring around the club is that we just need to keep grinding out results on our way up to the Champions League. It was grey, cold, windy and wet, and so was the weather.

Was toying with Louth Town v Horncastle in the Lincs. something League this afternoon, but I'm getting too old to be that fucking stupid when it's blowing an absolute shitter outside.

Comment

Chelsea V Wolves tomorrow. Should be interesting, given that the weather forecast is for 40+mph winds.

Comment

Just checked in on the scores now the rugby has finished and everyone I support is losing at half time. Or has lost in an early kick off.

Comment

Bohs 1 Derry City 1, for years Derry have been Bohs bogey team but last year we finally won after nearly 20 games against them, probably should have won last night as well but ended up playing catch up after Derek Pender celebrated his 200th appearance by giving away a penalty following sloppy play at the back, heads could have dropped but in fairness to the players they upped the pressure and got a deserved equaliser when centre back James Finnerty appeared in the box to steer home a left wing cross.
                Last season Bohs had an average attendance of about 1,600 people but some excellent marketing by the club and a much improved start to the season has seen crowds increase by 1,000. Great news but Dalymount park is waiting for redevelopment so at the moment there's only room for 2,890 home fans so for the moment games have been all ticket sell outs which means your "turn up on the night with €15" supporter is missing out, about 200 of them last night. There was some bad feeling on social media but until we move into our new ground in about 4 years time people will have to buy a ticket or turn up early.

Comment

Karvina 0 Bohemians 1905 3

I thought this might be a poor game, but didn't anticipate just how abysmal Karvina would be. Their performance was summed up in first-half injury-time. Already 0-2 down, they conceded a corner. The taker chipped the ball to his left full-back, standing just inside the penalty area but in a remarkable amount of space. He looked up, and, still unchallenged, crossed to the back post where one of the centre-backs headed into the net while defenders and 'keeper stood and watched. It would have been an embarrassing goal to concede at any level. For a supposedly top tier side, it was shameful.

Karvina had a man sent-off 10 minutes into the second-half. The remainder of the game was predictably tedious, with Bohemians' determination not to get pulled out of a 5-4-1 shape against 10 men a touch over-cautious.

The home fans spent long periods of the game chanting for the coach to be sacked. The players came over to the ultras' section at the end, with two or three staying on for quite a lengthy discussion. I'd be curious to know what was said, but it didn't seem right to eavesdrop and I had to get the bus back to the railway station.

Karvina were in all-white with Bohemians in green and white hoops rather than stripes. That didn't seem quite right either.

Comment

Steeton P-P Holker Old Boys

Steeton social media'd an image of their pitch looking very muddy yesterday, so given the forecast overnight rain and the Challenge Cup tie on the ground on Sunday I fully expected this to be off. What was a little more surprising was my back ups of Eccleshill United and Campion going too, and it was wet enough for the total fallback of Halifax to fall victim to a late call off. So I went well down my list and did somewhere that had been vaguely on my radar for a while with a visit to (whispers furtively) a trip over the hills into Lancashire for

Barnoldswick Town 1-3 Whitchurch Alport

Didn't see this coming at half time, the first period was dominated by the home side who lacked a final ball. Alport were sharper after the break, they had one chance chalked off for offside before winning the game with three goals in quick succession - the first a delightful chip over the keeper after breaking the offside line, the second a free kick that deflected off the wall and the third a tidy finish. The game then went back to sleep before a home consolation in injury time. Not a great game, a sticky pitch hindered things. Noisy away support. Nice ground, lots of stone walling, nice view to the sunlit uplands of civilisation to the east.

Enjoyable day out with three new Guide pubs ticked off (Bingley, Skipton, Barnoldswick). Muddy everywhere mind and chilly wind. Nice to have a mid-distance sort of day where I get home sometime after six but before midnight, not had many of these this season.

And yes I do know how to pronounce Barnoldswick; unlike Mark Goodier on BBC Radio 2 on New Year's Eve who pronounced it "Barnoldswick".

Comment

Maccy's breakfast in Penrith at 05:45 preceded a drive west along the A66 into what soon became a blizzard. Thankfully it eased as I dropped down into the valley by Keswick, but it was on again as I climbed up Whinlatter pass to be relieved of £10 to park at the visitors centre and trudge up a footpath to the rally route. I realised with a bit of surprise that it had been 41 years since I first walked this track, 1978 that was, with my Dad and Grandad who are both long gone now.

I found a safe spot to perch and watched the snow come down and the rally cars begin to slither through. It was a long downhill stretch into a blind left hander, and it wasn't long before the noise of one approaching car was very different - no downshifting or squealing wet brakes, just a whooshing noise to indicate that they were off the power and going way too fast. Sure enough, a Mitsi Evo 9 came into view fully sideways about 20mph faster then anyone else, and although he got round the bend itself he was straight off down a 10 foot bank, finishing up with a gentle tap against a tree. No way was that coming out without a winch, so we left it where it was and put the warning triangle out.

Things calmed down for a while until a gentle crump from up the hill indicated another crash. Jogging up between cars, I found a Vauxhall Adam beached on the edge of the track. Four of us had a go at heaving it back on, got covered in liquid mud and gave up - surprisingly heavy for a compact car, those things. I walked back down just as a bloke in a Honda Civic sailed straight off and hit two trees on the next corner down. Staring at the wreckage with his head in his hands, he didn't seem all that happy when I tried to cheer him up by telling him that loads of people had been off there over the years.

After that I drove down into tourist trap lake district territory, through Ambleside and Hawkshead and up onto the moorland at Grizedale forest. Parked on the verge down the road a bit to avoid being stiffed for another tenner and walked in for another couple of hours spectating. Knew of a noted dodgy bend not far down the road, so made my way there but word had got round and there were 50 odd people taking every decent vantage point. Not all rally fans are the sort of folk I want to spend my quality time with, and there was a fair old cloud of weed rising off one group, so I thought bollocks to it and walked along a bit further to sit in the sun and watch - the weather couldn't have been more different from the early morning.

Walked back out just before 1pm and drove at a sensible pace up to Carlisle, arriving in time to neck two scotch pies from the bakery by the ground and go into the (open) Paddock just as it began to piss down. Three seasons in one day, typical Cumbria.

Carlisle 2-1 Swindon Town

Absolutely fucking dire game, which we somehow managed to win by virtue of being marginally less shit than Swindon. I think the combined height of our starting midfield trio was about 8 foot three. The defence played like what they are, four middle aged overweight men, and although he scored with a deflected shot, Hallam Hope wasn't having one of his better days up front, especially after Mark Cullen went off with groin knack. How the shite we're in a playoff position when we turn in performances like this I have absolutely no idea. Long drive home to Liverpool afterwards, with plenty of coffee.
                      Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 10-03-2019, 09:21. Reason: Shit maths

Comment

Thanks to Harry Kane's performance in Russia this summer, my son has chosen Spurs as his team. He absolutely loved the first 70 minutes of his first ever game at St Mary's today, but then cried his eyes out from the moment Valery equalised until the end of the game. He poured some drink into a half-eaten pack of Wotsits and proceeded to smear the cheesy orange concrete mix this created all over my legs, and then simply refused to do any walking, meaning I had to carry him out of the ground for a 20 minute walk to the car, where he promptly fell asleep for the 90 minute drive home. All in all, that went pretty well considering what I had feared.

Comment

Missed Hibs v Rangers as our train was held at Darlington for two and a half hours as there was a body found on the line in suspicious circumstances near Chester-le-Street. We got in to Edinburgh at 8:50pm and just managed to make it to a pub near the hotel to see Hibs' equaliser.

The rugby today was bizarre, should have been out of sight at half time and could easily have lost by full time. We dogged it out though. As ever, Edinburgh is a bloody great city for a day/night out and the Curling Club in the Murrayfield Ice Rink next to the rugby stadium is an undiscovered gem for a civilised drink once you've talked your way past the people checking memberships on the door.

Comment

First Blackpool home game at Bloomfield Road since 2015 yesterday. An entertaining match with Southend scoring a comedy own goal in the last minute leading to a draw on the pitch. Blackpool fans won the match though

Comment

Started the day with the rather hilly Bolton Parkrun then had a visit to Bury Transport Museum and a walk at Heston Park before heading to Middleton. Here I went to Hopwood Hall College where I watched Middleton Colts play Astley & Tyldesley in the third tier of the Manchester League. Both are new entrants to the league this season, with Middleton having made the better transition; they only need a couple more wins to secure the title. Colts were awarded a penalty after five minutes but it was kicked out of the ground. This set the tone for much of the game, as they missed chance after chance. However they eventually took the lead with two goals just before half time. The second half was more of the same, with lots of missed chances but still another three goals for the home side as Middleton won 5-0.

The rest of the day was spent at Ruskin Drive in St Helens, first watching Pilkington Recs have a comfortable 34-10 win over Saddleworth on the rugby pitch. From watching this I discovered that the rules regarding not wearing earrings whilst on the pitch only apply to players, as one of the touch judges had several large piercings through both ears.

After a drink in the bar it was round to the football pitch where the last of the days groundhop games was taking place. First half was fairly dull but things improved in the second half, with Garstang eventually beating their hosts 3-1.

Comment

Friday. Left work at 1.15, got home, got changed then drove to a mate's in Solihull. From there 4 of us headed to Caernarfon Town to watch their 1-0 win verses Bala Town. Caernarfon got a goal after 5 minutes, not a lot happened after that to be honest.

Saturday. Joined the North West Counties League Hop for the 11am kick-off between Bootle and Ashton Athletic, the home team winning 4-2, slightly against the run of play. We then left the hop for the afternoon, we dropped 2 off at Salford vs Solihull before going to Ashton United 0-2 Bradford Park Avenue in National League North, not a great deal happened on a wet and heavy pitch until the last half hour then BPA brought on Oli Johnson who started linking the play up front and they scored a couple of good goals. Headed back to Salford to pick up 50% of the people we left there, the other going back to Solihull as he was going to Blues - Villa on the Sunday. The 3 of us then re-joined the hop to watch St Helens Town 1-3 Garstang. St Helens play in a cage with a 4G pitch in it, a bit of space to stand behind both goals and a metal seated stand down one side.

Sunday. headed to Warrington for Rylands 3-5 Cheadle Heath Nomads, Rylands are top of their league, so a bit of a surprise result. The last game of the hop was supposed to be at Irlam, but that was waterlogged, as was a possible alternative at Northwich, so we went home.
                                Last edited by Merlin the happy pig; 10-03-2019, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

A combination of a big night out tonight, extortionate train fares and the prospect of almost certain defeat mean that I won't be attending this one. A pity because, results aside, Middlesbrough is usually a really good away-day. I'll watch us get hammered at Sheffield United on Tuesday instead.

Tomorrow, I shall stay local at Basford United v Buxton.
                                  A combination of two late trains, rail replacement 'buses and a dismal defeat meant that I wished I hadn't attended this one. Fair play to Brentford and their travelling support who I'm sure enjoyed this as much as I didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                  X