Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing Dons Donny - Weekend Matchgoing Thread

Wimbledon vs The Likes of Doncaster

Big old banana skin fixture for 6th place Rovers at bottom of the table Wimbledon. As the eternal pessimist I'm not expecting Rovers to get anything... and I'm expecting it to rain as I'm on the terrace. Presume I'll run in to RdG, unless there's some sort of elliptical motor-bike racing on a surface not suited to driving going on at the same time.

Afraid you won't see me, Uros. As you should be well aware, Wales are playing Scotland in the Six Nations at Murrayfield on Saturday afternoon and that's where I'll be with the usual two cronies in tow and my little brother as a rare special guest.

We're going up tomorrow afternoon to make a weekender of it and seeing Hibs v Rangers on Friday evening as an amuse-bouche.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-03-2019, 14:25.

Comment

The biggest Orient v Wrexham match for 30 years

Comment

There's a groundhop in the North West Counties so I'm keeping well clear of that and going elsewhere in the league for Steeton v Holker Old Boys. Steeton play at Cougar Park in Keighley so this is a useful opportunity to visit the venue without having to watch rugby league.

Comment

Friday night and the gates are....reasonably high, as Lincoln host Yeovil. I have no idea why we're playing on Friday night. It's going to be freezing cold and wet. First match i've been to since Swindon due to knee surgery, so no doubt i'll be rather uncomfortable as I sit in the Stacey-West, watching City struggle again to perform at home.

Comment

Grange Albion v Cwm Welfare South Wales Alliance Premier Division

Grange have lots of games in hand (anything between 4 and 8 on the other teams) but definitely need to start winning as they only sit one point and place above the drop zone.

Comment

Home to Brentford. But it's rail replacement 'bus time between Darlington and Middlesbrough. The last time this happened to me was the last game of the season in 1993 when we were at home to Crystal Palace. At Darlington they told anyone going to the football to get into one of the 'buses and everyone else in the other. The football 'bus took us straight to the ground but also straight into the fenced off area in the street behind the away end. I had to show my season ticket to get out. I wouldn't put it past Cleveland Police to try something similar this time.

Comment

Saturday AM - Watching a car rally in the lake district forests
                Saturday PM - Carlisle v Swindon

I'm expecting the former to be more life-enhancing than the latter.

Comment

Bohs at home to Derry City, 2nd versus 4th, hopefully another big crowd and We avoid the rain that's due this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                    There's a groundhop in the North West Counties so I'm keeping well clear of that and going elsewhere in the league for Steeton v Holker Old Boys. Steeton play at Cougar Park in Keighley so this is a useful opportunity to visit the venue without having to watch rugby league.
                    Lawkholme Lane is a fantastic ground, although the cover on the terrace is now gone, the grandstand means it is still in the top 10 of my favourite grounds.

Steeton are an odd one as they weren't doing too much in the West Riding League but then were one of the clubs to take up the opportunity when the NWCL expanded this season. A case of Silsden envy.

if you have time, their ground in Steeton is a gem, in the middle of the village, enclosed by dry stone walling, with rolling hills all around.

more pics http://berkshirepigchronicles.blogsp...-salt.html?m=0

Comment

I can see the Cougars ground from my house and occasionally pop down to watch Steeton with my lad (Who plays for Salts U13 - in reference to Big Boobs link above)
                      Bradford City v Peterborough for me though this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Afraid you won't see me, Uros. As you should be well aware, Wales are playing Scotland in the Six Nations at Murrayfield on Saturday afternoon...
                        I think you may have overestimated my general rugby union fixture awareness... but give my regards to the rest of the mob all the same.

Comment

Warriors v Tai Po in the Hong Kong Premier League tomorrow evening. Fortunately for me its at the Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground and as I've been working in TKO this past week, have become reasonable proficient in finding my way around; though without the works shuttle bus to take me back to Mong Kok it may prove entertaining getting to my hotel.

Comment

Karvina vs Bohemians - Saturday, Czech Fortuna League

Both sides in need of survival points here. Karvina are second from bottom, Bohemians one place and five points ahead of them in the last safe spot. Only six rounds of games to play after this weekend, so a win for the visitors would go a long way towards securing their status.

Karvina appointed former Ruzomberok coach Norbert Hrncar with four games to play in the autumn phase of the season. He had a reputation in Slovakia as a bit of a tactical wizard, and was an outside candidate for the Slovakia job when Jan Kozak quit in the autumn. Karvina have improved marginally under him, but still tend to draw at home and lose narrowly away.

If Karvina do manage to drag Bohemians closer to the relegatin places tomorrow, the prospect of two Prague teams going down will become more real, since Dukla are currently 16th of 16, a point behind Karvina. With Viktoria Zizkov propping up the second tier (though they did win last Sunday), it hasn't been a good season for Prague non-Slavia/Sparta fans.

The strips could be interesting tomorrow. Karvina and Bohemians both have green and white as 'home colours', though Karvina played in a ghastly all-yellow last time I saw them, vs Slavia. That at least meant Slavia were in those wonderful red and white halves with red star on the white half. If Bohemians are in green and white stripes, that too will be something to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                              if you have time, their ground in Steeton is a gem, in the middle of the village, enclosed by dry stone walling, with rolling hills all around.
                              As a kid, I regularly played/watched/scored cricket for various visiting teams at the ground next door.

Comment

Taking my youngest (autistic 7-year-old) to his first match tomorrow - watching his beloved Spurs at St Mary's.

In order to avoid being trapped in the car with him having one of his spectacular meltdowns all the way home, I really need a game where Saints play well but lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

As a kid, I regularly played/watched/scored cricket for various visiting teams at the ground next door.
                                  I thought that was Barnoldswick or were you a young gun for hire?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                    Home to Brentford. But it's rail replacement 'bus time between Darlington and Middlesbrough. The last time this happened to me was the last game of the season in 1993 when we were at home to Crystal Palace. At Darlington they told anyone going to the football to get into one of the 'buses and everyone else in the other. The football 'bus took us straight to the ground but also straight into the fenced off area in the street behind the away end. I had to show my season ticket to get out. I wouldn't put it past Cleveland Police to try something similar this time.
                                    A combination of a big night out tonight, extortionate train fares and the prospect of almost certain defeat mean that I won't be attending this one. A pity because, results aside, Middlesbrough is usually a really good away-day. I'll watch us get hammered at Sheffield United on Tuesday instead.

Tomorrow, I shall stay local at Basford United v Buxton.

Comment

Going to the big Vanarama showdown to find out who will finish second in the Conference behind Solihull Moors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

I thought that was Barnoldswick or were you a young gun for hire?
                                        Barlick 2nds and Sunday 3rds would gave me Clitheroe, Baxendale and that end in the Ribblesdale League. The Saturday 3rds were in the Craven League, so Silsden, Embsay, Glusburn and Steeton. Also Thornton in the U14s on the Craven side.

Comment

All day drinking followed by watching The Stranglers and Dr Feelgood. I'd sooner be at the footy.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                            Friday night and the gates are....reasonably high, as Lincoln host Yeovil. I have no idea why we're playing on Friday night. It's going to be freezing cold and wet. First match i've been to since Swindon due to knee surgery, so no doubt i'll be rather uncomfortable as I sit in the Stacey-West, watching City struggle again to perform at home.
                                            Comfortable 1-0 win against one of the worst sides I've seen in some time. Two long range efforts aside, Yeovil could barely string three passes together before launching a Hollywood pass straight of play and were trying to run the clock down from the second minute. If the Imps had any composure in the first half, they would have been three goals to the good. In the end, the only worry was that Shackell went of injured. Ten games left and suspect it will be a repeat of the National League two years ago; playing below par but edging to promotion. Will have to be more ruthless against Oldham on Tuesday though.

Comment

In Glasgow for my birthday weekend so I thought I’d dampen the celebrations with the wettest weekend I can remember and Partick away. We were so shite last week on tv I’m mentally prepared for defeat.
                                              Is Firhill still prone to water logging..?

Comment

off to Barnsley for the visit of Accrington. Our hosts have generously offered £2 a beer pre match which feels like something more than a red carpet. Form points to a home win but it's a fuuny ol game (or so we hope)

Comment

If any OTF Jags are at Firhill today I should be inMunns for an hour prematch to buy you a pint..?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X