No announcement yet.

100 years of hurt: England 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh God. I've just watched the first half of Wales v Northern Ireland on the tellybox. I hope no sexists are watching because it's dire. Neither team seem to be able to take a touch, or throw in to a team mate.

Comment

First decent cross of the game and Wales take the lead.

Goal kicks been awful from both sides.

Comment

Fucking terrible mistake = 93rd minute equaliser for Northern Ireland.

Watching the women is as frustrating and disappointing as watching the men.

Comment

There was about 10 minutes of watchable football across the 94 minutes there.

Comment

Fitting given the game was played at a rugby stadium that the team that spent the second half impersonating a rugby side got the result.

Were it not for the nasty challenges that characterised the second half, I'd probably say they deserved that point - they clearly had Wales on the ropes at a couple of points and Wales looked quite fortunate to be ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
              Not quite the right thread, but the FA's David Brent simulator seems to be stuck on maximum again
              Oh he's an endless fountain of top quotes.

Comment

Not quite the right thread, but the FA's David Brent simulator seems to be stuck on maximum again
                The humble genius' side lost to Norway, I see. Having drawn with Belgium a few days ago. Obviously this is all too subtle for us mere mortals to understand.

Comment

Fitting given the game was played at a rugby stadium that the team that spent the second half impersonating a rugby side got the result.

Were it not for the nasty challenges that characterised the second half, I'd probably say they deserved that point - they clearly had Wales on the ropes at a couple of points and Wales looked quite fortunate to be ahead.
                  NI showed up a surprising naivete in the Wales back line but if I was Jane Ludlow I'd ask all my players to practise trapping a fucking ball until they could actually fucking trap it. Jesus. It was like they were playing with flyaways they'd bought down Barry Island.

Comment

Boo fucking hoo. Did the nasty rough girls insist on tackling ye or what?

I only saw brief lowlight clips of both our games so won't risk any generalised sexism. But dearie me that defending...

ps our equaliser was a carbon copy of that in Belgium a few years ago (also finished 2-2). After that game, Ashley Hutton invited the 8 travelling fans back to the team hotel for a pizza. It's all glamor, this elite international sport
                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 04-09-2019, 07:25.

Comment

He just can't stop

caught the last 10 minutes of the Ireland montenegro game and it was notable that the irish WNT is a lot more into progressive attacking football and getting bodies into the box, than their male counterparts ever have been. 2-0 up and they were still attacking.

Comment

To be fair, his short corner routines are revolutionising the game.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the Norway-England game; both teams had a proper go, and it was nice to watch a televised game without VAR interrupting every 40 seconds or so to check whether someone's bootlaces were offside or not.

As superb a player as she is though, "Graham Hansen" sounds like the name of some bloke who turns out at centre half for Ayr United reserves, rather than Norway's midfield general and creator-in-chief.

Comment

"My focus is on winning us a gold medal in the Olympics and beyond that. It’s flattering because it means you are doing a good job, but my focus is England."

Er Phil, can we have a word?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              Boo fucking hoo. Did the nasty rough girls insist on tackling ye or what?

I only saw brief lowlight clips of both our games so won't risk any generalised sexism. But dearie me that defending...

ps our equaliser was a carbon copy of that in Belgium a few years ago (also finished 2-2). After that game, Ashley Hutton invited the 8 travelling fans back to the team hotel for a pizza. It's all glamor, this elite international sport
                              No complaints from me. All the late tackles got yellows and I didn't think it was a particularly rough game. My frustration was with how Wales seemed to be unable to do the basics.

Comment

@PT: apologies, that was really aimed at BLT

I remembered after the earlier post that I'm in town at a Conference next month, so may need some tips from you both on how not to annoy the locals. So far, my planned patter is on the lines of 'Bore da, croeso y Casnewydd', but I may throw in the tale about a girl from Y Fenni. Her charms were various and many etc etc

ps my young cousin Naima followed up her youtube pose with the Irish Cup by joining her teammates on the pitch to usher in the new Irish League season. She and her sister play for Crusaders U-11s, their school is just around the corner from the ground. They are two of quadruplets, but brother is indifferent to the game and other sister can't stand it...

Comment

Where's town? Newport?

Comment

Yes, sort of. The Conference is at that new building beside the posh golf club

Comment

Have we got any 2019-20 threads for women's club football yet, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                        Yes, sort of. The Conference is at that new building beside the posh golf club
                                        Ooh. I didn't realise that had actually opened. Enjoy the Celtic Manor. I doubt you'll see any locals as conferences are usually a self contained bubble.

If you get a night out you'll be 12 minutes on the train from Cardiff.

Comment

Ta. The current Green Party deputy leaderene Amelia Womack is from Newport so I imagine was able to negotiate a good deal with the Conference Centre. I think the event (4-6 October) might be the official opening. Was hoping for Aberysywyth myself.

Comment

Phil Neville's England ended a five game run without a win by beating Portugal, ranked 31st in the world, 1 - 0 after a goalkeeping error.

His post match comments showed his typical grasp on reality.

"You earn your luck and the performances over the last two games in my opinion have been outstanding. It has been my best most enjoyable camp since I have been a manager with this England team."

He then accused a journalist who questioned him of trying to get him sacked.

Meanwhile Wales shorn of their two best players, rallied to a scrappy 1 - 0 victory over Belarus in Borisov. Was surprised to hear the BBC commentary team criticise Ludlow for her cautious tactics which limited the home side to two or three good chances.

When Scotland played Belarus in the world cup qualifiers, they conceded early both times and then spent the rest of the match chasing the game against a dug in side. Which worked for them but they had the attacking talents of Kim Little and Erin Cuthbert.

All eyes on Belfast in November...

Comment

He may be the great leader for engerland, but.... Neville Jong Un is in the ireland u-19 squad

Comment

The funniest thing about Phil Neville is if he overcame his Dunning Kruger syndrome and recognised his own tactical limitations, he'd probably do fine. Like he's managing one of the best resourced national team programmes; it takes a special kind of manager to actually fail at it.

The belief that he's a great tactician capable of making devastating insights like "Lucy Bronze is the best right back in the world. I should convert her to a midfielder" and the belief that the England women's national team are a step down for a man of his prodigious managerial talent, is literally the thing holding him and England back.

That he's constantly treating it as an audition for a better job means he can't let the players succeed on their own terms.
                                                Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 09-10-2019, 15:38.

Comment

Entertaining 0-0 at Seaview as both NI and Wales keepers excelled. They could be in competition for the play off but hard to see Wales getting close to Norway now

Comment

Papers reporting Phil Neville's going after the Olympics...
                                                    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-2022-olympics

Fair play for him for lasting as long as he did, seeing as he clearly only applied for the job as a practical joke.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X