Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

So where do Ajax go from here Anton.
    I think an experienced defensive midfielder should be a priority. Are more players besides De Jong expected to leave. They are getting a ridiculous amount of money for him and they are already swimming in cash. I think all the players should stay for at least a season.
    De Ligt is nearly on the way to Barcelona for 70 million but the transfer is being held up. The clubs have agreed a fee but De Ligt's agent is Raiola and he's trying to hold out for a 20% fee. And Ajax are telling him in no uncertain terms to fuck off. I have no idea why these players sign up with Raiola. If De Ligt was clever he'd stay on another season at Ajax, but his stock is soaring at the moment and Raiola wants to cash in.

Ziyech is probably going to Bayern Munich. Unlike De Ligt, he has his head properly screwed on and puts his career first. He wants to go to a decently run club, and also one not in the Premier League, so that he won't burn out. Ziyech is cool, he was never really considered a "top talent" when he was a teenager, but he just keeps learning and improving every season. He's probably the best player with a Dutch passport. Bayern would be good, look at how they looked after Ribery for years.

Ajax have signed Romanian attacking midfielder Razvan Marin (23) from Standard Liege. So he could fill up some holes in midfield. Dutch youth defender Kik Pierie (18) has joined from Heerenveen.

The possibilities include moving Blind to defensive midfield. Veltman and Sinkgraven are back from injury now. Veltman looked good against Spurs and Sinkgraven did a decent job against Juve.

Ideally they need a good centreback next to Veltman. They have this Argentinian guy Magallan, but nobody knows if he is actually any good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
      That's really not what it looks like now. It's just a team that scores a goal from a set piece that doesn't really know what to do, and then they lose.
      That might well be 'how it looks now' - the reality is that Bayern had a good number of chances to wrap the game up.

What I recall of events, United were barely involved before time added on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

They hit the bar and played keep ball and showboated whilst man United huffed and puffed.
        Fair play to Man U to keep going but they were outplayed.

Didn't they hit the woodwork twice?

Edit - ah, I see that you've confirmed that they did.

Bayern toyed with Manchester United and totally outplayed them. But we all know how strong the latter could be towards the end of a game.
        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 10-05-2019, 15:16.

Comment

See that just isn't right. this is one of those old games that I watched fairly recently. People back then were unduly impressed by a team a goal up passing a ball around among the centre halves, and not really doing very much. People used to think that it was the epitome of continental class. Its literally like they had never seen a team get an early goal from a set piece and then try and hit the opponent periodically on the counter attack as they chase the game. It was a really bad game of football between one team that had lost its central midfield, against a team that had lost any attacker they had with a touch of pace. It was a completely different type of game to the two draws the teams had in the group stage. But even football as recently as 1999 looks like a different sport at times.

Comment

See the point I was making is that all that’s not arguable is that Man Utd got 2 v late goals and won.

I remember thinking at the time that Bayern were comfortable and not really under pressure. No doubt it would have been different if Keane had played. Same as spurs would be different if all the England internationals were fit and on form.

Comment

It would have been a completely different game if united had keane and scholes in central midfield, beckham on the right, and giggs on the left, every bit as much as if Bayern had Elber up front instead of Jancker, and lizerazu bombing up the left. Teams really struggled to deal with missing important players back then to a far greater degree than they do today. Bayern scored a goal and hit the bar from set piece situations, man utd scored two goals from set piece situations. Bayern hit the post with a long range shot, and schmeichel made a good save from effenberg. Kahn made a couple of decent saves. One of the high points of the game was an attempt by one of the bayern defenders to lob schmeichel from the half way line. it was a pretty dull game of football. and one of the eye catching bits of it is how short the passing movements seem to be compared to today.

Comment

Btw, garcia was reading from a diego torres interview with Poch on his podcast. It was extraordinary. I had no idea that Poch was a heady mixture of Noel Edmonds, Conor mcGregor, and david Brent, combined with that bag of cocaine that Maradona had at the world cup. It was eye opening. He's a deeply strange man. Does anyone have access to a translation of the interview. That huge blubfest at the end of the the match is only the tip of the emotional iceberg. Also what the hell is going on with all his talk about leaving? Why is he saying that now?

Comment

I see spot pricing of budget airlines has come back to bite the Über generation in the arse.

Oh.

And why oh why is it in Baku?

Because Azerbaijan is in UEFA.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    Also what the hell is going on with all his talk about leaving? Why is he saying that now?
                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48235092

Comment

re. Bayern. They lost to Chelsea 13 years later in a final they similarly dominated. They should have two more ECs on their honours board. Once is careless...

Comment

Using the Cup run as blackmail?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                          I see spot pricing of budget airlines has come back to bite the Über generation in the arse.

Oh.

And why oh why is it in Baku?

Because Azerbaijan is in UEFA.
                          mind you, given their FA and UEFA have refused to guarantee the safety of the players it needs to be rescheduled pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Using the Cup run as blackmail?
                            Shayad. TBF he's worked a bit of a miracle getting them to the CLF without spending, although the stretched squad has hit them hard in the week-to-week league context, as noted on here. I guess it seems reasonable to say, I'm knackered trying to meet your expectations without any cash backing. (I don't really know the details as I don't follow the EPL or Spurs very closely, so I could be talking bollox.)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

Shayad. TBF he's worked a bit of a miracle getting them to the CLF without spending, although the stretched squad has hit them hard in the week-to-week league context, as noted on here. I guess it seems reasonable to say, I'm knackered trying to meet your expectations without any cash backing. (I don't really know the details as I don't follow the EPL or Spurs very closely, so I could be talking bollox.)
                              I think most Spurs supporters are in full agreement and wouldn't grumble if him and all the stars left.

Well we would grumble, but the rage and fury would be directed at Levy.
                              He has been getting away with paying top players stingy wages and I suspect most are just staying for the manager.

Comment

Anton, the English papers were reporting Man U had a chance to sign De ligt last summer but were put off by the reports of a scout who took a look at his father and deduced he might have weight issues further down the line which is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a long time.

I thought that kind of nonsense was only went on in English football.

Comment

I heard that one too. Apparently he is not going to Man Utd this year because Raiola is annoyed at how Paul Pogba has been treated at Man Utd.

Comment

Not that Raiola can do any deals right now anyway.

Comment

Regarding fitness levels in the Champions League, some interesting stats here about distance covered/

Comment

That's as much a list of minutes played as distance covered. Tadic playing every minute of every game is exceptional, but there are players on that list who run slightly more than him per 90 minutes. (that said 11.7 km per game is a hell of a lot of ground to cover) It would be interesting to see it broken down by distance per match, distance at top speeds etc, because the distance covered by Ajax players and barcelona is different to the sort of distances covered by players of other teams. They are continuously moving around in their allotted area, rather than making too many lung bursting runs.

Comment

Dusan Tadic has ran pretty much from Amsterdam to Brussels on the pitch in a dozen CL games

Comment

Does anyone know if Alisson is any good at saving penalties? Liverpool only conceded one all season (the one Mahrez put out of the ground).

Comment

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alis...spieler/105470

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hugo...​​

Comment

Perhaps the key data point thus far for Alisson is that in 2017-18 he faced five Serie A penalties and three were scored.

Edit - so if you assume that Spurs are a bit better at penalties than the average Serie A team, you might expect them to score four in a shootout against Alisson.
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 31-05-2019, 07:14.

Comment

I fully expect Spurs to win, I dreamt it a few years ago and it didn't make sense (I dreamt playing against Brighton in an unfamiliar stadium) for some reason, I was playing and was hopeless in the game and hearing lobachesky shouting, "we have no midfield, before I scored a 20 yarder in the last minute. At that time, I thought it was a stupid dream, but now i realise it was a case of astral projection into the body of Christian Eriksen. In the dream Spurs went on to win the CL against a team in red. At the time, I assumed it was Arsenal.

Comment

I will give my definitive prediction when I see the teamsheets.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X