CL knockouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    That's 4 English teams in the QFs. No German. Only one Spanish (or Spanishish) (one Italian one Portuguese one Dutch)
    How many Spanish players are there in this Spanishish team compared to say, English ones in the Man City one?

Comment

I hope it was obvious that my Spanishish comment was referring to the club's position as the public global face of Catalanisme rather than any comment about the nationality mix of the team

Comment

I hope it was obvious that my Spanishish comment was referring to the club's position as the public global face of Catalanisme rather than any comment about the nationality mix of the team
        Yes it was. I was in an early morning provocative mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Good point, one which rival clubs of teams left in the competition, such as Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal and co will care not too hoots about as they pray for a collective English QF wipeout.
          Given that NS supports one of the clubs you mention, I think it's probably safe to assume he was taking the piss.

Comment

Hah! Not really Sam. I mean, my ultimate desire in football is to see my teams (national, club & local) be successful, ideally playing good football, and to do that I have to think strategically. But I've seen too many people, not least on OTF, made miserable by the success of others so I try not to go down that road. And apart from anything else, the last two decades following Chelsea have given me more triumphs to enjoy than I ever believed possible. In 1994 I went to Wembley to see them play Luton in an FACSF rather than act as an usher at my best friend's wedding because I genuinely wasn't sure if I'd ever again have the chance to see them play a meaningful game at the ground again. Given what I've been lucky enough to enjoy in the years since it would be churlish to be upset when fans of other clubs are able to occasionally experience similar emotions.

Plus at least three of the four English CLQFists are going to suffer traumatic late-stage cup exits - heh, heh, heh, heh! (Cackles like a lunatic, mask slips, hypocrisy exposed).

Comment

Liverpool were sensationally good and just had better players than Bayern, it seemed to me. Bayern are stuck in a 2013 timewarp with too many old players.

Will be interesting to see if the 4 English teams avoid each other because I wouldn't rule out all four scraping* through. The rest of Europe just looks poor at this point, even Barcelona. I think a Liverpool v Man C final is on the cards if they avoid each other in the draw.

*Liverpool and Man City should more than 'scrape' through; Spurs and/or Man U are likely to need a scrape.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-03-2019, 10:41.

Comment

Ajax v Juventus
                Liverpool v Porto
                Tottenham v Man City
                Barcelona v Man United

I think the Barca - Man U tie will get reversed so the Manchester clubs aren't at home in the same week

Comment

Semi final draw

Tottenham or Man City v Ajax or Juve
                  Man U or Barca v Liverpool or Porto

Comment

The liverpool and man utd games on same side of the semi final draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      Ajax v Juventus
                      Liverpool v Porto
                      Tottenham v Man City
                      Barcelona v Man United

I think the Barca - Man U tie will get reversed so the Manchester clubs aren't at home in the same week
                      One on Tuesday one on Wednesday?

Comment

Man City v Liverpool final must be strong favourite.

Two of the ties are repeats of old finals.

Would love Ajax to knock Juventus out, obviously.

Comment

Odds on a Juve v Barca final?

Comment

I hate it when they draw two rounds at a time but maybe I'm alone in this. Takes away something.

Comment

I can't stand it either

Comment

Yes, they will be in different weeks according to Sky news. UEFA rules that the team that finished highest get precedence. Is home advantage in the second leg greater than playing at home first? Bit unfortunate on either Tottenham or Barcelona to have to play their away game first if that favours their opponents.

Comment

I hate it when they draw two rounds at a time but maybe I'm alone in this. Takes away something.
                                  Seems daft to me. You lose the opportunity to generate more news when the semi-finals are drawn. Although I guess there are policing and security considerations to draw up.

Comment

I wonder when they started doing it and in which other competitions it happens.

Comment

How would UEFA be able to apply their "no ties in the same city" rule if Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal were all involved?

Comment

How would UEFA be able to apply their "no ties in the same city" rule if Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal were all involved?
                                        London is probably the only city that could happen with.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Seems daft to me. You lose the opportunity to generate more news when the semi-finals are drawn. Although I guess there are policing and security considerations to draw up.
                                          These are football matches, not wars. How much time do the security and other forces need to prepare?

Comment

There's a reasonable chance that 3 teams from Madrid will be in next year's CL (in response to PT)

Comment

Confirmed that Manchester United will play the first leg at home. Which seems unfair. Why them and not City? And, really, why anyway?

Comment

These are football matches, not wars. How much time do the security and other forces need to prepare?
                                                Short notice event that maybe 50,000 people will come to, including several thousand potentially from abroad? It really helps in terms of service duty rosters / annual leave etc to know that sort of thing is a possibility as far in advance as possible. The police will need to arrange their shifts to accommodate officer presence at the football ground. It's a legal requirement to have police present and if they turn round and say they didn't have enough notice then your game isn't going ahead. Then there's other things - are there plans for traffic disruptions that week that can be rescheduled? Are local health services aware that there is a big event on? There's a lot of logistics involved.

Comment

Confirmed that Manchester United will play the first leg at home. Which seems unfair. Why them and not City? And, really, why anyway?
                                                  Because they finished below City in the league last year so they have to move.

And because the Manchester infrastructure probably can't host two Champions League games on the same night or back to back nights.

Comment

There's a reasonable chance that 3 teams from Madrid will be in next year's CL (in response to PT)
                                                    Yep. Good point. A much higher chance than 3 London clubs being in it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X