No announcement yet.

CL knockouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banning him from the QF should be a no-brainer and might make others think twice about such tactical yellows.

Comment

Agree.

Madrid are having a lot of luck lately with Var, by the way.

Comment

VAR isn't luck, a decision is right or wrong, it's like Sky sports news referring to VAR decisions as controversial,,the only one I've seen that falls into that category is the France penalty in last year's world cup final.

Comment

Did you watch Ajax - Madrid?

Comment

I didn't, I
            I was going on posts here and elsewhere that said it was probably the correct decision, if it was a wrong one fair enough but the only photos I've seen Tadic does appear to be impeding Courtois.

Comment

There were three contentious VAR decisions (one of which went against Madrid).

If the only controversial VAR decision you’ve seen was from France-Croatia, perhaps you need to watch more football where a VAR is used.

Comment

As far as I know, it wasn't given for Tadic fouling Curtois, but for Tadic being offside and being involved with play. Barely half his body was offside. The referee gave the goal, but VAR overruled (i.e., the referee didn't actually ask for VAR assistance). I thought active VAR intervention was only supposed to be done when the referee messed up big time (Henry handball type stuff), not for every half-call. If the latter is the case, then we are going down a slippery slope...

Not saying the call was wrong as such, but there are so many borderline situations in football that this overly strict application of VAR intervention may negatively impact on the sport. Technology is good, too much technology not so much.

edit: And, if the VAR are to interfere with every half-call, then what about when Sergio Ramos has his hands all over Tadic just before Tadic hits the post (2:35 in the video)? Should that not be called back for a PK? Or free kick outside the box with a booking for Sergio Ramos? Or is active VAR intervention only for disallowing goals, and not for awarding cards for fouls that the ref might have missed? And surely, if the ref has half a brain, when he sees Sergio Ramos do that 'look at me, my hands are far away from the player, I'm not doing anything' thing anywhere near the penalty box, the first thing he should do is ask for VAR assistance? Or has the ref been under a rock for the past decade?
                Last edited by anton pulisov; 14-02-2019, 13:22.

Comment

We've already crossed the Rubicon - a World Cup final has been all but decided by an extremely dubious VAR call on a handball, that will be debated longer than Geoff Hurst and that goalline. Might as well embrace it now, and expect every major incident to be reviewed in every PL and CL game like in the NFL (or not, eh, Saints fans?).

Comment

Confirmation of Bryan's point.

https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/1095805860981469184
                    https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/...05860981469184

I disagree with Rogin that VAR decisions are inherently more controversial than those made by on-field referees.

Comment

It's so close that I don't even know if you can get that one right using the video evidence without hours of forensic analysis. At that freeze frame, has the ball started moving forward yet, or is it still moving onto Tagliafico's head? He's a top player by the way.

I fully expect De Ligt, Ziyech, Tadic and Tagliafico to be at different teams next season (along with Frenkie de Jong).

Comment

Also, considering that the camera above the field is moving around/rotating and therefore not viewing the pitch from a fixed perspective (I assume), how are they drawing those red and blue lines onto the picture? Can we be 100% sure that they are at exactly parallel to the end-line?

Comment

I expect them to keep at least two of that list, but it won't be the same team.

The point you raise is one that every video review system encounters and for my money the only sensible way to resolve such cases is to go with the original call on the field.

Comment

I think so too. I think there is room for VAR intervention in very obvious situations (as I mentioned, Henry handball type things), but who decides what is obvious and what is not...

Comment

That kind of variation in interpretation is one thing that argues for a central video review authority that conducts all of the reviews in a particular league or competition (as is the case in Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League), though even that doesn't eliminate the problem completely, as there will always be multiple individuals making the call (not to mention the fact that the absolutely consistent individual has yet to be born).

None of the North American systems are perfect, but they have all improved over time, and I expect UEFA's to do the same.

Comment

Broadly the alternatives are

a) players/ teams have a fixed maximum number of challenges. Works well in cricket as it deters frivolous appeals even if umpire error is as prevalent as before

b) authority can and so does refer to technology in any case of doubt. Works badly in rugby as the dullest sport yet devised endures for hours at a time

Comment

Those needn’t be exclusive.

There is also the concept of reviewing all plays of a certain kind, as the NFL does for touchdowns.

Every system introduced so far has evolved and improved, and I don’t believe there is a single optimal system for all sports.

Comment

Ursus- I don't pretend any knowledge of NFL, but isn't that covered by my b) above?

Comment

There's no "in case of doubt" standard. Every touchdown is reviewed automatically. It obviously requires significant resources, but it removes one source of officials' discretion (and arguably gives the VAR team additional opportunities to develop expertise).

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                        Also, considering that the camera above the field is moving around/rotating and therefore not viewing the pitch from a fixed perspective (I assume), how are they drawing those red and blue lines onto the picture? Can we be 100% sure that they are at exactly parallel to the end-line?
                                        The angle on that tweet doesn't look like it's from a spidercam as that would normally be directly above the play, so I assume it is from a fixed camera.

Comment

I also think that is the case, though it remains the case that current line-drawing technology is at best opaque.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The angle on that tweet doesn't look like it's from a spidercam as that would normally be directly above the play, so I assume it is from a fixed camera.
                                            Yes, what I mean is that the camera is above the field in the stand somewhere. It stays in the same place, but it rotates, zooms in and out, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              It's Classical schlager for europe's baby boomer fascists.
                                              A magnificent description of Andre Rieu, I'd like to add...

Comment

Yes, what I mean is that the camera is above the field in the stand somewhere. It stays in the same place, but it rotates, zooms in and out, etc.
                                                In which case I presume the lines are drawn using data from more than one camera. I'd have to ask my wife as it's her area of expertise but once you have images from two fixed points you can measure/mark any aspect of an incident and allow for zooms or slight changes in angle of the camera.

Comment

Since my current contract ended two weeks ago and I have three months until my next contract begins....

I extended the end-line, 6-yard line and offside line upwards in Photoshop, and they all intersect at the same point. So it is done properly.

Comment

Is it just me or does autocorrect go absolutely mad on this wevsweb in oartivupar?
                                                    No idea what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X