Gordon Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks was never the best keeper in the world,
    Jennings was a better keeper domestically and Yashin was better internationally.

Banks had a god like status more than any footballer I remember growing up with only Bobby Charlton and Duncan Edwards coming close. Bobby Moore somewhat blotted his copybook with the Mexico debacle and the Poland away game in 1973.

Comment

I've only just noticed how half-arsed Terry Cooper's attempt at stopping Jairzinho was.

Comment

Thought that myself watching the footage this morning, putting someone into row a is a lot more difficult at 90°

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          I vaguely remember reading something, probably in Charlie Buchan's or the Football League Review, that there were rules about the colours goalkeepers could wear in games. Yellow wasn't allowed in domestic league games for some reason. Allowed colours were green, blue, white and red, with green the most common because there were so few league teams that used it. But I might have dreamt that. Given the monstrosities that came along from the 80s, I guess that was when the rule, if it ever existed, was removed.
          IIRC green had to be worn by FL goalkeepers unless the opponents wore green, then blue or red were acceptable. And you're right, yellow was reserved for internationals. I think keepers for all the "home" countries wore yellow, but I might be wrong.

Comment

I'm not sure how reliable the information is but this is from a site specifically concerned with England goalkeepers' kits:

Prior to World War I, goalkeepers mostly wore the same colours as their team mates, and they were distinguished by donning a cap. England's goalkeepers, however, chose to wear a different coloured jersey as early as 1891, and perhaps, even earlier. It is difficult to tell what colour was chosen, but the light appearance in the monochrome photographs suggests that it was grey, or maybe, yellow. We can probably surmise that goalkeepers were asked to bring their own club jerseys to wear in the internationals. Unlike the outfield players, the goalkeepers' jerseys were not emblazoned with the Three Lions emblem.

In the early years of the twentieth century, the jerseys were noticeably darker, and they could have been red, blue, green or grey. We simply cannot tell from photographs. In 1921, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) decreed that international goalkeepers would wear yellow, but on one notable occasion, in Sweden, in 1923, possibly becasue Sweden were wearing yellow, England's custodian took to the field in a hooped shirt. We can only speculate on what the colours were, but we imagine that it was supplied locally, not the last time that an England goalkeeper would find himself wearing the colours of another team (Ray Clemence wore an adidas Romanian top in 1980 and Peter Shilton, incredibly, wore a Scotland top with the Scottish FA emblem at Hampden in 1989!).

After the Second World War, England's goalkeepers were finally issued with yellow roll-neck jerseys, complete with Three Lions emblem, for each match. Then, in 1954, when England finally discarded the dress shirts that they had been wearing since 1880, so too did the goalkeepers acquire a more modern look. Their jerseys had a crew neck, as opposed to the v-necks worn by the outfield players. We do not know yet if these jerseys were supplied separately to the outfield shirts, so we cannot ascertain who made them.

From 1966 onwards, however, we know that Umbro were supplying England goalkeepers' jerseys, as well as the outfield kits. As the sixties gave way to the seventies, Umbro began supplying aertex shirts to England for games in warmer climes and the goalkeepers were not excluded. Umbro also added their distinctive diamond logo onto Gordon Banks' jersey in 1971, over three years before the whole team began wearing Admiral logos.

Umbro introduced numbers to the reverse of the goalkeepers' shirts for every match from the beginning of the 1969-70 season. Previously, England's 'keepers had only worn digits when squad numbers were required, in the four World Cup tournaments from 1954 onwards, plus the European Championship finals of 1968, and on selected other occasions.

Up to this point, England's 'keepers had worn yellow as first-choice and blue as an alternative. On two occasions in 1970, Banks found himself wearing red shirts. One is believed to be England's away shirt, when both the yellow and blue tops clashed with Colombia's yellow and blue shirt, and the other, inexplicably occurred when Banks wore the yellow Aertex shirt against the yellow-shirted Romanians in the opening half of England's first defence of the World Cup. For the second half, he appeared in a red short-sleeved shirt.

Green shirts were briefly introduced (or re-introduced) to the England goalkeeper's locker in 1973, when the outfield players wore yellow Aertex shirts for a European tour. This was also the year when Peter Shilton became the first England goalkeeper to wear tracksuit trousers for an international. The occasion was the Scottish FA's Centenary match on a rock-hard Hampden Park pitch in February, so, perhaps, understandable. He repeated this on two other occasions. Ray Clemence and David Seaman have both felt compelled to follow suit on occasion, though these were probably due to a rock-hard pitch, rather than the cold

Comment

I remember Jim Platt and Willie Whigham wearing blue for Boro around the end of the 60s and early 70s but can't find any colour pictures other than in team line-ups. I thought I could remember Peter Bonetti wearing red but again could find no evidence. But I've stumbled upon this:

A rough guide to the history of goalkeeper shirts, football kits and the players who wear them

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                Banks was never the best keeper in the world,
                Jennings was a better keeper domestically and Yashin was better internationally.
                Yep, agree.

He was still pretty stout, though.

Comment

Thanks for the post above, NS. I wonder why yellow was originally mandated as the default colour for international keeper's jerseys. Is it because it's the main colour least used in international first kits, as green was for Football League teams?

Comment

Clemence (& others) played for years with no number on the shirt...even in UEFA games. Can't recall the year that had to...

Comment

Gordon changed shirts in the match against Romania as the yellow worn in the first half clashed with Romania, if I am remembering correctly it was the red change shirt that he donned for the second half. I took these stills from the Youtube video of the game.

Although obviously not as drastic as Shilts wearing the Scotland jersey at Hampden

Ray wearing the (I think) Czechoslovakia GK jersey against them

And Sepp borrowing a Welsh top

David Harvey went the other way and wore his Scotland top for Leeds

And for some reason Iranian keeper Nasser Hejazi randomly wore a Bolton shirt once for a game, although not sure if it was club or national.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/stokecity/status/1098885108239609856?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Top posting there, Reverend....

Comment

Working...
                          X