• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Banks

A true great. RIP.

RIP.

Comment

The save at 0.35 on here I hadn't seen before, and I almost prefer it to the one from Pele

Comment

Never got to saw him play for Leicester, but my dad did loads of times and was pretty gutted that he left for Stoke when he did (though the replacement wasn't too shabby). Always came over as a gentleman. RIP.

Comment

'Banks of England - our national savings monument!' (Remember that from one of those Squelcher football mini-books one used to get from the petrol station.)

RIP to a genuine giant of the game.

Comment

As someone with Stoke and Leicester family connections... well, it's a sad day.

Comment

Ah, shame.

It seems incredible today that he only picked up a couple of winners' medals with his clubs, and none of the biggest prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                Ah, shame.

It seems incredible today that he only picked up a couple of winners' medals with his clubs, and none of the biggest prizes.
                The World Cup seems like a fairly big prize

Comment

When I played in goal as a boy, he was one of my idols - which for a lad growing up in the 90s might seem quite odd, but my uncles had loads of videos of games from the 60s and 70s and I used to spend whole Sunday's watching them.

Such a great keeper, and from all the plaudits I've read this morning, a great man as well.

Comment

The past is another country:

Banks was born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, and brought up in the working-class area of Tinsley. The family later moved to the village of Catcliffe after his father set up a (then-illegal) betting shop. This brought greater prosperity but also misery; one day Banks's disabled brother was mugged for the shop's daily takings, and died of his injuries some weeks later. Banks left school in December 1952 and took up employment as a bagger with a local coal merchant, which helped to build up his upper body strength. He spent a season playing for amateur side Millspaugh F.C. after their regular goalkeeper failed to turn up for a match; the club's trainer spotted Banks amongst the spectators and invited him to play in goal as he was aware that Banks had previously played for Sheffield Schoolboys. His performances there earned him a game in the Yorkshire League for Rawmarsh Welfare, however a 12-2 defeat to Stocksbridge Works on his debut was followed by a 3-1 home defeat, and he was dropped by Rawmarsh and returned to Millspaugh. Still aged 15, he then switched jobs to become a hod carrier.

Comment

His nephew was the drummer in Pulp

Comment

Hence:
                        "Catcliffe you don't intimidate me, your Parkway and your shopping centre, your Panda Pops and pottery, your motorway junction, overwhelming stench of failure. Lives that never left first base, stunted by vapours from the cooling towers
                        And I will do everything, everything in my power to get way from you"

Comment

What very sad news to hear this morning. A true great.
                          Last edited by Capybara; 12-02-2019, 11:29.

Comment

I'm only realising reading this, watching that YT reel and remembering, how important he was, growing up in the 70s.

RIP

Comment

That video that ad hoc links to; at about 2:15 there's an advertising hoarding directly behind the goal reading "HAPPY BIRTHDAY Frank". Who was this Frank or is it some form of coded message to a spy? I think we should be told.

Comment

I'm surprised to learn he was an inch taller than Clemence or Shilton (6'1" to their 6'.0"). For some reason I had assumed he was around 5'10".

Would still have been in the top bracket today whereas I'd have doubts about any earlier keeper being able to make the transition.

Comment

That penalty save against West Ham above (at 2.30) is the one I remember most - and made me want to be him as I pursued my ambition of being a 'keeper. Here it is again - and he was truly a fantastic goalkeeper and a decent human being.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                    Ah, shame.

Champions Liverpool were rumoured to be signing him in 1966, but never did. Ironically he then won more at Stoke anyway - Liverpool didn't win another trophy until 1973 (although, with Banks in goal, who knows...).

Comment

My earliest goalkeeping hero. A very sad day. RIP

Comment

As a mark of respect I will wear the George Best 7 shirt, then assault some daydreaming Englishman

Comment

In goal, got to be Banks.

Comment

Have never seen the wider angle on the Pele save before. He doesn't have to dive as far as I thought, because he'd sorted out his positioning while the ball was coming over.

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status/1095260526605684737

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                              Have never seen the wider angle on the Pele save before. He doesn't have to dive as far as I thought, because he'd sorted out his positioning while the ball was coming over.
                                              For me, it was more about dealing with Pele's fierce downward header per se.

Comment

I was at the last game he played at Anfield in 1972, we won with an injury time deflected winner - and Banks went spare on the referee. He hurt himself in the game and his critical career ending accident happened after he had left training late the following week after getting treatment on the injury.

Comment

It's a save that you would expect most modern Goalkeepers to make, but only because someone like him showed that that sort of thing was possible, and the importance of sorting out your starting position. That's not common in clips of the 1970 world cup. It's hard to judge on the basis of relatively few clips or excerpts of matches but you can see fairly clearly how far ahead of most of his contemporaries he was. I suppose the way to view great footballers of today is that they are doing the things that future footballers will view as the basics.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X