Two finals: ECWC 1980, UEFA 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two finals: ECWC 1980, UEFA 1984

Neither is a 'must-watch' (except for Spurs fans, both times). But as historical documents, quite revealing.

In the 1980 final Valencia beat Arsenal on penalties. This was such a novel concept that John Motson explains it to the audience like a primary school teacher. (Shootouts had happened in various games before, but this was the first time in a Euro club final, and it was another 2 years before the first use at the World Cup). Apparently Arsenal's players had only been told the night before that there was no replay. And according to co-commentator Bob Wilson the preparation for Pat Jennings consisted of watching two attempts by Mario Kempes, using the new-fangled video machine.

The goalkeepers don't stand to one side, but behind the penalty-taker. There's not much organisation at all. Graham Rix is the 6th, not in the original 5 and obviously not ready (again, Motson explains at length the move to sudden death). Unsurprisingly, he misses, Arsenal lose.

Motson always refers to UEFA as "Yoo-fa". Four years later Brian Moore is behind the mike, and it's acquired the extra syllable, as now. I wonder when it changed.

By 1984, the keepers in the shootout have to stand to one side. It's noticeably better organised. The centre circle is still a free for all, no arms linked like today. Emotions are much more in evidence (in 1980 there's a general air of "what are we doing here?", much less so in 1984). But it's the 2nd leg, and Spurs are at home, so that makes quite a difference.

Two very famous players miss (saved) for Anderlecht. Have a stab if you want.

Motson always refers to UEFA as "Yoo-fa". Four years later Brian Moore is behind the mike, and it's acquired the extra syllable, as now. I wonder when it changed.

Probably when the media in the English-speaking world started writing it down as UEFA rather than EUFA (the latter of which tended to be pronounced "Yoofa").

I'm guessing Morten Olsen must have missed for Anderlecht, because when Denmark were in a shoot-out a few weeks later at Euro 84 he wanted absolutely no part of it.

Comment

Yes, Morten Olsen, saved by Tony Parkes.

Comment

Tony Parks saved a penalty from Arnor Gudjohnsen (Eidur's father) to give Tottenham the trophy.

I was standing on the Shelf at the time.

Comment

1980 was the only ECWC final to go to penalties (although they did have a few replays before pens were invented), while the UEFA/EL has had six, with three of those coming from the time of two-legged finals. Arsenal lost the first shoot out of the single game era, in 2000. Wonder what odds I can get on a shootout defeat in next year's Europa League final?

Comment

1980 was the only ECWC final to go to penalties

Neither Nayim nor Seaman fancied a reprise in 1995.

Comment

Typical of Spurs to draw the home legs in all of our UEFA finals (1972, 1974 and 1984).

Fortunately, we prevailed in two of the three. I don't think Tony Parks has had to buy a drink since 1984.

Comment

Working...
              X