Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs sung by your team's supporters (incorporating the Matt Busby look-back bores)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs sung by your team's supporters (incorporating the Matt Busby look-back bores)

So we are at halftime in Fulham - Man Utd and thanks to a great TV feed I can watch this without pesky commentators telling me stuff I already know. That means I can listen to the chants. So anyway at least three of Man Utd supporters' chants today - and as far as I know back at least 35 years - have included songs which include Matt Busby.

"...forever and ever we'll follow the boys of Man Utd the Busby babes..."

"...we are the Busby boys...and if you are a City fan surrender or you'll die..."

Nowt wrong with Busby nor remembering great ones of the past, But various questions here:

Is Ferguson similarly remembered in Man Utd fans' chants?
    How about (elsewhere) Shankly, Revie, etc.?
    Are football chants stuck in the past?

And one for our Man Utd corresponent in Fulham today: what are the words to the never-ending chant sung in the second half for ages before the third goal and then again afterwards (still going as I type)?

Comment

Just looked it up
      Ole is at the wheel
      Can you tell me how does it feel
      We've got Pogba and Sanchez and Fred
      Marcus Rashford a manc born and bred
      du du du etc
      We've won it all

Comment

The prevalence of Busby songs today is due to the recent anniversary of the Munich air disaster, presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          The prevalence of Busby songs today is due to the recent anniversary of the Munich air disaster, presumably.
          I think they're sung regularly.

Comment

It'll come as no surprise to anyone that a number of Liverpool songs reference the glory days and former managers/players.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sporting;n2qre football chants stuck in the past?
              [/QUOTE]I've never understood anybody who sings at football games anyway, so I don't really can't comment. I've heard this makes me everything from a "hipster" to "somebody who never knew what it was about anyway".

What I do know - from a German mate who went to a Bristol City home game about seven or eight years ago - is that "Remember Aberfan", as a chant, was still alive and kicking then.

Comment

Bloody hell. I didn't hear that even when I was Ashton Gate for a Cardiff match. Mind you, I am a bit deaf.

Comment

Back in the day Darlo used to sing "Jail Nelson Mandela"

Segued with "if you think Maggie Thatcher is an old cow bag then smile boys smile"

Comment

I went to Villa once or twice in 1987/88, a one-off season in the old division two. The Holte End favourite at the time was this :

My old man said 'be a city fan',
                    And I said' b***ocks you're a c**t (you're a c**t),
                    We hate the blues and we're gonna show it,
                    We hate the blues and we f**king know it,
                    With Spinksy and Birchy, Alan McInally,
                    They're the boys who gonna do us fine,
                    You support the blues ur a blue nose b***ard and you ain't no friend of mine,

I went to another game perhaps 20 years later, and the song was aired again. Obviously, it's both derivative and a load of bollocks, but it was still that 5th line, and especially the Alan McInally bit, that was sung with the greatest gusto. I quite liked that, given that McInally only stayed the two seasons.

Comment

The other great canard in football is the idea that the Pope has anything relevant to say on a team's rivals.

Comment

And of course.

Having the wings of a sparrow.

Comment

There's an ad at the moment for some internet company with Idris Elba miming to "Que Sera Sera", so of course after the "here's what she said to me..." line, I always expect the next line to be: "wash your mouth out son..."

Comment

The Stone Roses/Waterfall/Ole is at the wheel song is my nemesis. First heard it in Valencia, when it was still Jose at the wheel, but since Football's Greatest Manager took over, it's been fucking everywhere. It can burrow into your mind like Baby Shark can, or like that Allez Allez Allez song does, and once it's there, you can't get it out. Dur dur dur dur dur dur dur. It's awful for numerous reasons, not least because really as a fanbase and a city we need to be moving away from The Stone Roses, but also because "Tell me how good does it feel... to have Sanchez, Paul Pogba and Fred" is such an awful question, no one has the heart to attempt to answer it.

It's being aggressively pushed by The Red Army singing section, a collection of karaoke lovers who are attempting to improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford, but are arguably doing the opposite. By moving all the people who want to sing to one section you're just ensuring that there's no one to start and carry on songs in every other part of the ground. Just a load of lads in an area with bad acoustics singing songs completely disconnected to the action on the pitch. Still, it keeps them happy, so who am I to argue?

The Busby stuff has been around for ages. I think Busby is core to the identity of the club, and scans better than Ferguson as it's two syllables (Ferguson got a few "Every single one of us loves Alex Ferguson"s when he was ill recently, but by and large, there aren't songs that remember him in the same way). I've noticed a new trend for Standing Up For the Busby Babes two or three times a game, which I fucking hate, for a few reasons. I guess this looking to the past is inevitable when you're (relatively) shit. Reliving former glories beats acknowledging current travails. But anyway, since Solskjaer took over, 75% of the songs are about him. Even when we score everyone immediately sings Ole Ole Ole. Then they go back to Ole being at the wheel until the next time they have to stand up for the Busby Babes.

There were some O'Shea chants at the weekend. Roy Keane still gets his name sung. Cantona, of course. People sing about Best a lot too, saying they wish to go on the piss with him, despite him dying of alcohol related disease, the sick fucks. Leave him be.

Basically my belief is that singing at football is weird. Loads of men going to sing songs at boys doing PE. It's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                              It can burrow into your mind like Baby Shark can
                              Oh yeah,thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                I went to Villa once or twice in 1987/88, a one-off season in the old division two. The Holte End favourite at the time was this :

My old man said 'be a city fan',
                                And I said' b***ocks you're a c**t (you're a c**t),
                                We hate the blues and we're gonna show it,
                                We hate the blues and we f**king know it,
                                With Spinksy and Birchy, Alan McInally,
                                They're the boys who gonna do us fine,
                                You support the blues ur a blue nose b***ard and you ain't no friend of mine,

I went to another game perhaps 20 years later, and the song was aired again. Obviously, it's both derivative and a load of bollocks, but it was still that 5th line, and especially the Alan McInally bit, that was sung with the greatest gusto. I quite liked that, given that McInally only stayed the two seasons.
                                what melody is this song sung to, and what is that song that liverpool fans sing (but only when 3-0 up) that doesn't follow any of the rules of music and that doesn't make any sense? It sounds like it could be a french attempt at pop music. .

Comment

Don't Dilly Dally on the Way. Don't know the Liverpool one.

Comment

The Villa song (and variations for more or less revert other club) is sung to the tune of My Old Man (Said Follow The Van)

Comment

Working...
                                    X