X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPDPDPDP
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Yeah, but by then there'll be over two hundred countries qualifying for the finals, so that won't be a problem...
    I certainly hope there's at least that many countries qualifying, maybe then Scotland might once again qualify. I remember watching Scotland getting beat by someone years ago and my younger son (he was probably about six at the time, asked a genuine question, "Dad, have Scotland ever won a game?". I explained to my boys that Scotland had actually qualified for five World Cups in a row. I could see the boys looking at one another and obviously thinking, Dad's lost the plot again.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    That's nice dear. Do you want a medal with that

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I'm happy to reiterate here that I think Ireland is a nation. And I would never and never have knowingly used the phrase "the British Isles" in any context that implies political ownership. Great Britain And Ireland is a fucking great term, however, as employed in its proper use by touring Lions teams and (pre-Seve) Ryder Cup sides.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

What you think isn't really relevant though. You think the FAI (and Irish football & society in general) would consent to being called a "home nation"?!
    They get called one in rugby all the time and no one cares.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Evening all. I'm with Blameless on this one. And briefly,

- in recent years there have been widespread references to the 'British Isles' across the English media (including Guardian, Independent, BBC etc.). I'm not suggesting they're ignorant nor apathetic, they just don't know and/ or don't give a fcuk

- the closest anyone has got to bringing down Delaney is a senior OTF-er who carried him out of the pub to a waiting taxi, JD being predictably blocked

- Northern Ireland's s alternative stadia to Windsor Park are variously

#2 in an effective no go area which the Police won't patrol on any potential matchday

#3 three-sided, although admittedly the open side features a giant advert for the local evangelical church

#4 churned like a Flanders battlefield by monster tractor racing

#5 Portadown

(all that said, I believe Uruguay's similarly basic infrastructure has all 16 teams in the top division playing in Montevideo)

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Think Rogin's point is that NI is a country but not a nation.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    So to reiterate, yes, I do think "the Home Nations" does - or should - refer to all 4 nations.

Fair enough, but there are potentially 5 nations in this bid - Eng, Sco, Wal, NI, RoI.

I hope the SFA stay the hell away from this nonsense. I don't trust FIFA as far as I could punt them, and I trust the FA even less than that. Swerve this pish, Maxy.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I didn't realize I was being summonsed. No, I'm not "just trolling", although you reposting your own comment just as a prompt to elicit a response clearly is.

So to reiterate, yes, I do think "the Home Nations" does - or should - refer to all 4 nations. I certainly think that what was the way the phrase was used in and beyond WW1 and in many uses since. Quite deliberately in fact to include Ireland and the Irish as a nation in deliberate contrast to "The UK", which no-one has ever really understood, used or chanted. And is a misnomer anyway when Wales want to be included in it because they were never a Kingdom.

Both my daughters are Irish by any nationality or FIFA rules, before you start calling me English.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ray de Galles;n2116545]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47164514

[/QUOTE

Surely grounds such as the Allianz Arena, Santiago Bernabeu or San Siro would also fail on this account?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

What you think isn't really relevant though. You think the FAI (and Irish football & society in general) would consent to being called a "home nation"?!
    Rogin? Or are you just trolling?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    However, Fifa technical specifications for World Cup venues are demanding and the five associations are aware that even updated, modern venues such as Anfield and Old Trafford - and even the new White Hart Lane - would not reach the required standard at present.

That is because grounds need to provide sufficient run-off space for players and adequate areas for photographers.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47164514

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Aside from being affronted and a bit embarassed at the sheer arrogance that FIFA will take this anywhere other than Argentina and Uruguay to celebrate the centenary of the first tournsment, I did notice that it has already been stated that three proposed stadia - Anfield, Old Trafford and even the NEW White Hart Lane - will not meet FIFA spec for World Cup Finals venues as the spectators are too close to the pitch and there isn't enough room for photographers behind the goals.
    ?

Where is this stated, please? I can't find it anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    John Delaney is always banging on about his Grandfather who was in the IRA round my way during the war of independence and civil war. He got his start in business from the proceeds of a number of bank robberies in the lead up to the end of both conflicts. Fascinating thing about the local IRA was that in 1920 they defined Cahir Park football club as enemy combatants and declared all members valid targets, including one of the Tipperary players who survived bloody sunday.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The idea is completely risible.

Though it does pose one of the few conceivable scenarios that could actually bring Delaney down.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

No, that was quite deliberate.Indeed how the bid team themselves will use it. For me I still think of "the rest of" Ireland as very much part of my home country, ta. As I do most of contintental Europe, though, it's true.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by Aitch View Post
    Haven't FIFA already ruled a UK/IR World Cup out,as it would mean giving five free passes to the host nations?
    They've already given three for the North American finals, and two for Japan/Korea so the precedent is well established.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    The "Home" and Irish FAs, surely?
    No, that was quite deliberate.Indeed how the bid team themselves will use it. For me I still think of "the rest of" Ireland as very much part of my home country, ta. As I do most of contintental Europe, though, it's true.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 08-02-2019, 16:01.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Yeah, but by then there'll be over two hundred countries qualifying for the finals, so that won't be a problem...

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Haven't FIFA already ruled a UK/IR World Cup out,as it would mean giving five free passes to the host nations?

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Won't they just do what they do for European games and block off the first few rows?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    The "Home" and Irish FAs, surely?

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Aside from being affronted and a bit embarassed at the sheer arrogance that FIFA will take this anywhere other than Argentina and Uruguay to celebrate the centenary of the first tournsment, I did notice that it has already been stated that three proposed stadia - Anfield, Old Trafford and even the NEW White Hart Lane - will not meet FIFA spec for World Cup Finals venues as the spectators are too close to the pitch and there isn't enough room for photographers behind the goals.

If three of what would be, six? Eight? of our biggest proposed venues don't meet the spec already, is there any point in wasting money on a bid for this?
    So it's official FIFA policy now, we can't have pesky supporters too close to the pitch!

Leave a comment:

• The Home FAs' bid for the 2030 World Cup

If three of what would be, six? Eight? of our biggest proposed venues don't meet the spec already, is there any point in wasting money on a bid for this?
Working...
X