The Home FAs' bid for the 2030 World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

They get called (a home nation) in rugby all the time and no one cares.
    a) The term is very rarely used in rugby

b) the situations with football and rugby on the island of Ireland are clearly very different
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-02-2019, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      I'm happy to reiterate here that I think Ireland is a nation. And I would never and never have knowingly used the phrase "the British Isles" in any context that implies political ownership. Great Britain And Ireland is a fucking great term, however, as employed in its proper use by touring Lions teams and (pre-Seve) Ryder Cup sides.
      I'm really not sure what any of the drivel above has to do win your decision to call the Republic of Ireland a "home nation" football team and your bizarre claim that they would accept it and any bid will be under that banner.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-02-2019, 22:20.

Comment

I didn't realize I was being summonsed. No, I'm not "just trolling", although you reposting your own comment just as a prompt to elicit a response clearly is.
        Bollocks. I asked a question that you ducked and you're still ducking. Whatever your peculiar terminology and the knots you twist yourself in trying to justify it - how do you back up your claim that the bid team will use the term home nations?

I suspect this is all a bit of an attempt at contrarian "banter" but I'd like to see how you back it up.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-02-2019, 22:29.

Comment

No, that was quite deliberate.Indeed how the bid team themselves will use it. For me I still think of "the rest of" Ireland as very much part of my home country, ta. As I do most of contintental Europe, though, it's true.
          Ah. No, I see, and must apologize. My eager implied speculation (although not stated as such) - that the bid team behind this will play on "it's coming home" etc nostalgia was not based on any definite statement that they will use that phrase. So yes, the rest of all of this was me thinking I was being asked to defend my view that Ireland is a "home nation". Which I still think of it as.

I've sailed up thread Vietnams on OTF before but never up the fecking Liffey.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-02-2019, 17:36.

Comment

Do you honestly think that would be a winning message outside of Emgland?

Comment

Well the orginal concept seems to be that an "English" bid isn't going anywhere, no matter how many statues of David Beckham are erected around the world. So there does seem a need to hang it on some description of the "five of us", yes.

And to go back to the OP, I genuinely don't want it to work in 2030 anyway. That final belongs to Montevideo, unless that is genuinely impossible. 2034, maybe ...

Comment

I was focused more on the “coming home” bit.

That would be as successful internationally as the Prince William and Becks Show.

Comment

The FA know FA about how to bid, that's for sure. That said, I do think that England's turn, if we're taking turns based on countries where football is entrenched in the sports fabric of the country, should be somewhere around the corner, The stadiums are mostly in place, the fanbase is present, it's an easy country to get around in, no great logistical problems involved, and English summer weather is pretty well perfect for playing football in. This is not in any way to take anything away from the claims of Uruguay/Argentina etc to host the event but a world cup in England is overdue, in my opinion. I'm not too sure what the objections to it would be. Sure, the FA is a crooked pile of crap, but how many other national organisations are any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    I do think that England's turn, if we're taking turns based on countries where football is entrenched in the sports fabric of the country, should be somewhere around the corner, The stadiums are mostly in place, the fanbase is present, it's an easy country to get around in, no great logistical problems involved, and English summer weather is pretty well perfect for playing football in. This is not in any way to take anything away from the claims of Uruguay/Argentina etc to host the event but a world cup in England is overdue, in my opinion. I'm not too sure what the objections to it would be.
                    There are plenty of countries on this planet where football is entrenched in the sports fabric, that have never hosted a world cup before. I see no reason why England would take precedence in this turn taking over, say, a joint Dutch/Belgian bid, or Turkey. Maybe do some joint North African bid, if Egypt itself lacks capacity.

Comment

Assuming that FIFA continue with their recent "philosophy" regarding bids (notwithstanding the "reforms" of the voting process), there is definitely an argument that a post-Brexit bid from "Business Friendly" Chlorinated Chickenland would have a better chance of success than their prior efforts.

Comment

I'd like to see England co-host it but Euro 96 was somewhat toxic in my memory and I think there's a danger of the other hosts being marginalized (as with 2026).

Comment

Fair enough about Holland/Belgium and Turkey but the fact is that in the period 1970-2016 Mexico will have hosted or co-hosted three times, the USA and Germany twice. I'd love it to go to North Africa but that raises many questions of infrastructure etc. Hopefully it can be done.

Not sure about the toxic Euro 96 though sure there were riots after the semi-final England defeat. Up to then, though, all had gone well, hadn't it?

Comment

Indeed, my sense is that the rise of English nationalism largely grew out of devolution to Scotland and Wales, so the George's Crosses were still rather benign at Euro '96.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that this world cup won't be coming to these islands, I had heard there were plans to hollow out Llandudno's Great Orme so that they could hold the first ever underground world cup match. This was to be part of the much vaunted "Brexit Dividend" along with Rhyl-Llandudno monorail and the Anglesey-Puffin Island ropebridge.
                              Last edited by Kowalski; 16-02-2019, 22:22.

Comment

Returning to Rogin's initial comment about Uruguay and Argentina co-hosting the thing on the centenary... From a sentimental perspective obviously a great idea, but the arguments against an economically vulnerable nation such as Argentina hosting exploitative world cups are a lot stronger than those of marking jubilees. Maybe the centenary is better marked by staging a parade through the streets of Montevideo, led by the hanging effigies of Rous, Havelange, Blatter and Infantino.

Comment

Euro 96 had some very poor crowds in ‘hotbeds’ of football like Newcastle

Comment

Maybe they could give Uruguay automatic qualification - as a one-off (or bribe)? There will be 47 other places. FIFA ought to want all ex-winners in the centenary.

I kinda think England should be honest and do a solo bid rather than pretending that they want the other four FAs in it as anything other than a fig-leaf. OTOH hosting 48 countries is a big ask for anybody, and they might need the stadia in Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh and Glasgow just to take up the slack rather than building more white elephant stadia.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-02-2019, 14:46.

Comment

The club stadia in Edinburgh wouldn't come close to meeting World Cup requirements, unless you mean the bid would feature the rugby stadium there as it would have to in Cardiff and Dublin ( I can't get used to the new Lansdowne Road being a joint rugby/football venue).

Not that we should take talk of this bid too seriously, of course.

Comment

Agreed. Another fanciful suggestion around this bid is that NI would have to be included (cos ye cant treat it differently, obviously). Which in turn would mean either building a new white elephant stadium,or relaxing criteria on the current one to the point of absurdity

Comment

Just on the oft-mooted and "taken as read" point that "well, we've got the transport infrastructure, haven't we", Crystal Palace fans on the main train line from London to Edinburgh on a Sunday are going to be an hour late for kick off in Doncaster (one of that line's principal stops). They already had little chance of making it back to London tonight (Doncaster's travelodges and ibises should be busy tonight).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            The club stadia in Edinburgh wouldn't come close to meeting World Cup requirements, unless you mean the bid would feature the rugby stadium there as it would have to in Cardiff and Dublin ( I can't get used to the new Lansdowne Road being a joint rugby/football venue).

Not that we should take talk of this bid too seriously, of course.
                                            Even though it has hosted both since the Eighties - presumably you mean the joint ownership?

Comment

I mean both the staging of the games and the ownership. It was always a rugby stadium to me and even the new one (which I'm not a huge fan of) still feels more suited to that sport than it does football. I'm willing to concede that's probably because for football I've had to watch from the pitiful away end while for rugby I've been in other parts of the ground.

Comment

Neville Southall broke his leg in Lansdowne Road in 1986

Comment

Working...
                                                X