Playing in your own stadium in a cup final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing in your own stadium in a cup final

Worked out fine for Real Madrid in the European Cup in 1957, not so well for Roma in 1984 nor for Bayern in 2012. Barcelona managed it successfully in the Cup Winners Cup in 82; Madrid came a cropper in the Copa del Rey in 2002. Any more examples (let's exclude competitions involving countries) - there must be surely be some domestic cups where this has happened.

Inter in 1965 were the last team to win a EC/ECL in their own stadium

Comment

Dalymount park hosted the F.A.I cup from 1923 until the late 80s and Bohemians featured in 11 finals, Windsor park was the same for the I.F.A cup so Linfield must have appeared in about 30.

Comment

Should never be allowed to be happen if can be avoided. Which excuses naming a European final venue 12 months or more before knowing the finalists. Much more difficult to forgive English football allowing Spurs to play historically neutral cup games on home ground.

Comment

What about county cups and stuff. Pretty sure Shrewsbury and Telford have played Shropshire Senior Cup finals on their own grounds.

Comment

Our 1st two trophies, League Cups, were won in consecutive years ‘at home’ in Dundee, but both at the home of our city rivals across the road.
            The 1st was a replay against Aberdeen after a 0-0 at Hampden, the year after was a local derby cup final played at Dens on the toss of a coin.

Both 3-0 wins, Dens was a happy hunting ground all through the 80s as we won the league there, too.

Comment

I have a feeling that Sporting’s query was occasioned by the real chance that Real Betis will get to play this year’s Copa del Rey final in their home ground.

That would be a first for Betis, but not unheard of in Spain.

Real Madrid, for example have lost the last three Cup Finals they have played at the Bernabeu, and six or seven overall. In fact the last one they won their was against their reserve team Castilla, which is likely to have been the only recent final from a top European league (1980 is recent to me) where both teams were playing at one of their home grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                I have a feeling that Sporting’s query was occasioned by the real chance that Real Betis will get to play this year’s Copa del Rey final in their home ground.
                Yes, and I forgot to mention it. There still is a chance but Betis had a 2-0 lead pulled back to 2-2 in the first leg of their semi final last night so the advantage is now with Valencia.

This year the final venue has been known relatively early for Spain. Often it gets to March or April before a ground is chosen. In previous years this has been complicated by the fact that Real Madrid have invented all kinds of excuses not to give Barcelona the chance of winning a trophy in the Bernebéu. In 2015 they rejected the chance to host the Barcelona - Athletic Bilbao final, no doubt appalled by the prospect of thousands of Basque and Catalan nationalists bespoiling the purity of their stadium. In the end the final was held at the Nou Camp and Barça duly won, as they had also done - this from a cursory search so there could well be more examples - in the 1963 final against Zaragoza.

So this year there were two venues who put in a bid for the final, Valencia's Mestalla and Betis' Benito Villamarín, and the latter's bid was considered the better one (basically because they promised more matchday profits to the Spanish Football Federation) even though both clubs were still both involved in the cup at the time (I think already at the QF stage). I had thought that the Wanda Metropolitano (Atlético Madrid) was becoming the default choice as that and the Vicente Calderón had been used for the previous three finals. But no.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                What about county cups and stuff. Pretty sure Shrewsbury and Telford have played Shropshire Senior Cup finals on their own grounds.
                Why not? The more obscure, the better.

Comment

Oh, and Sporting Lisbon were defeated by CSKA Moscow in the 2005 UEFA Cup final on their own patch.

Comment

Roma and Lazio have both won the Coppa Italia since it moved to having single leg finals at Olympico in 2008. (Before that, every finalist got to play one leg at home.)

Comment

In the German cup Karlsruher won the competition in 1956 playing at home and in 1983 Köln beat Fortuna Köln in, well, guess where?

On edit: the 1956 DFB-Pokal tournament featured five clubs; Karlsruher, Spandauer, Pirmasens, Fortuna Düsseldorf and Hamburg. The previous season 32 teams had participated but over the next few seasons only five or sometimes even four were in the tournament. So what was going on here, then?
                      Last edited by Sporting; 08-02-2019, 06:50. Reason: More amazingly obscure information came to light (to my light at least)

Comment

Eighteen of our Welsh Cups were won outright at the Racecourse and another one was a two-legged affair with the first at home. Makes our record tally in the competition slightly easier to comprehend.

Comment

The frequency of this happening would be increased in countries that don't have a national stadium. Cup finals are going to tend to be in the biggest grounds and teams from the biggest grounds are likely to be the biggest clubs who reach cup finals more often.

Comment

Cardiff City won a play off final at the Millennium Stadium. Not exactly home advantage but close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Cardiff City won a play off final at the Millennium Stadium. Not exactly home advantage but close enough.
                              Nah, cos otherwise we could include Man Utd winning in 68 at Wembley ha ha!

Comment

ISWYDT

(Although not sure London was 'South Manchester' back in 68)

Comment

And to be fair - they've done surveys on this, they have - it never has been. Man Utd since whenever have had a broad geographical fan base without losng (ok maybe recently) the core Manchester support.

Comment

Common enough in other sports of course (Middlesex cricket, Auckland rugby, Aussie rules, etc). Which leads on to ...

The frequency of this happening would be increased in countries that don't have a national stadium. Cup finals are going to tend to be in the biggest grounds and teams from the biggest grounds are likely to be the biggest clubs who reach cup finals more often.
                                    So are there many examples of a stadium with no "anchor tenant" at all, even from another sport (which the old Wembley had, after a fashion).

Comment

I assumed Hertha BSC must have reached at least one cup final since the DFB Pokal moved permanently to the Olympiastadion, but apparently not.

Although, and this was something I didn't know, their reserve team got to the final in 1993. They lost.

And after yesterday's result, they're not going to do it this year either.

Comment

The Dutch cup is always played at Feyenoord's De Kuyp stadium. And if Feyenoord make it to the final, they are always the "home" team.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                          Should never be allowed to be happen if can be avoided. Which excuses naming a European final venue 12 months or more before knowing the finalists. Much more difficult to forgive English football allowing Spurs to play historically neutral cup games on home ground.
                                          The sensible thing to do would've been to maintain neutral grounds for FA Cup semi-finals, then people wouldn't start getting bees in their bonnets about a team playing a 'home' match at what is effectively a neutral ground anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                            Common enough in other sports of course (Middlesex cricket, Auckland rugby, Aussie rules, etc). Which leads on to ...

So are there many examples of a stadium with no "anchor tenant" at all, even from another sport (which the old Wembley had, after a fashion).
                                            La Cartuja in Sevilla.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Russia has a few, I think.

Comment

Oh, hang on, a new Sochi side has appeared to play in the Fisht. They're in the second tier.

But I think the Luzhniki is currently unoccupied, though whether the Russian Cup Finals it has staged were at a point when it was unoccupied or with a Moscow club playing there, I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...otball)#Finals

Comment

Oh, I see - the Sochi side is a relocated franchise kind of deal, having killed off and moved Dynamo St Petersburg...
                                                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Dyn...int_Petersburg

Comment

Working...
                                                  X