Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin S
    replied
    Roma and Lazio have both won the Coppa Italia since it moved to having single leg finals at Olympico in 2008. (Before that, every finalist got to play one leg at home.)

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Oh, and Sporting Lisbon were defeated by CSKA Moscow in the 2005 UEFA Cup final on their own patch.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I have a feeling that Sporting’s query was occasioned by the real chance that Real Betis will get to play this year’s Copa del Rey final in their home ground.
    Yes, and I forgot to mention it. There still is a chance but Betis had a 2-0 lead pulled back to 2-2 in the first leg of their semi final last night so the advantage is now with Valencia.

This year the final venue has been known relatively early for Spain. Often it gets to March or April before a ground is chosen. In previous years this has been complicated by the fact that Real Madrid have invented all kinds of excuses not to give Barcelona the chance of winning a trophy in the Bernebéu. In 2015 they rejected the chance to host the Barcelona - Athletic Bilbao final, no doubt appalled by the prospect of thousands of Basque and Catalan nationalists bespoiling the purity of their stadium. In the end the final was held at the Nou Camp and Barça duly won, as they had also done - this from a cursory search so there could well be more examples - in the 1963 final against Zaragoza.

So this year there were two venues who put in a bid for the final, Valencia's Mestalla and Betis' Benito Villamarín, and the latter's bid was considered the better one (basically because they promised more matchday profits to the Spanish Football Federation) even though both clubs were still both involved in the cup at the time (I think already at the QF stage). I had thought that the Wanda Metropolitano (Atlético Madrid) was becoming the default choice as that and the Vicente Calderón had been used for the previous three finals. But no.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    What about county cups and stuff. Pretty sure Shrewsbury and Telford have played Shropshire Senior Cup finals on their own grounds.
    Why not? The more obscure, the better.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I have a feeling that Sporting’s query was occasioned by the real chance that Real Betis will get to play this year’s Copa del Rey final in their home ground.

That would be a first for Betis, but not unheard of in Spain.

Real Madrid, for example have lost the last three Cup Finals they have played at the Bernabeu, and six or seven overall. In fact the last one they won their was against their reserve team Castilla, which is likely to have been the only recent final from a top European league (1980 is recent to me) where both teams were playing at one of their home grounds.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Our 1st two trophies, League Cups, were won in consecutive years ‘at home’ in Dundee, but both at the home of our city rivals across the road.
    The 1st was a replay against Aberdeen after a 0-0 at Hampden, the year after was a local derby cup final played at Dens on the toss of a coin.

Both 3-0 wins, Dens was a happy hunting ground all through the 80s as we won the league there, too.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    What about county cups and stuff. Pretty sure Shrewsbury and Telford have played Shropshire Senior Cup finals on their own grounds.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Should never be allowed to be happen if can be avoided. Which excuses naming a European final venue 12 months or more before knowing the finalists. Much more difficult to forgive English football allowing Spurs to play historically neutral cup games on home ground.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Dalymount park hosted the F.A.I cup from 1923 until the late 80s and Bohemians featured in 11 finals, Windsor park was the same for the I.F.A cup so Linfield must have appeared in about 30.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Inter in 1965 were the last team to win a EC/ECL in their own stadium

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    started a topic Playing in your own stadium in a cup final

Playing in your own stadium in a cup final

Worked out fine for Real Madrid in the European Cup in 1957, not so well for Roma in 1984 nor for Bayern in 2012. Barcelona managed it successfully in the Cup Winners Cup in 82; Madrid came a cropper in the Copa del Rey in 2002. Any more examples (let's exclude competitions involving countries) - there must be surely be some domestic cups where this has happened.
Working...
X