Life's a gas, gas, gas! - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life's a gas, gas, gas! - weekend matchgoing

I'm off to the gas on Saturday, to enjoy the chilly delight of the Memorial Stadium Perma-tent, officially the world's longest-serving temporary stand made out of scaffolding. Bristol Rovers versus Shrewsbury Town, whose FA Cup exploits are masking a terrible nosedive in league placings. Last season Shrewsbury won at Bristol Rovers for the first time since 1969. It's a proper relegation six-pointer this time around.

I'm also hoping for a twofer, as long as everything is OK on the M4 on Saturday between 5 and 6 pm. Barry are playing Bala in the second phase of the Welsh Premier League, kick off 7.30. I saw this fixture in Phase 1 back in August. Bala had three men sent off, including one for saying something (presumably very rude) to the referee after Kayne Maclaggon punched the ball into the net to score what what would turn out to be Barry's winning goal.

Wembley v Leverstock Green.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I'm off to the gas on Saturday, to enjoy the chilly delight of the Memorial Stadium Perma-tent, officially the world's longest-serving temporary stand made out of scaffolding.
    Older than Gillingham's dreadful away end?

Comment

Normally a trip to Bray seafront on a February Friday night would be as welcome as going horse riding wearing a pair of sandpaper underpants but since the weather ruled out my first game of the new season I'll bear the cold and (probably) wet to see our last friendly before the season starts.

Comment

Off to Craven Cottage to watch Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's '90s revival, the best tribute act in town.

Tickets in the "neutral" end cost £60. Nice way to offset the £30 away ticket maximum, there.

Comment

My game this Saturday is me versus the iron curtain (AKA Newport County’s FA Cup 5th round priority ticket hotline). I predict a frustrating nil-nil.

Comment

Cork v Dundalk in the President's Cup, the Irish Super Cup/Charity Shield thingy. First proper match since the cup final the first week in November. I wouldn't normally bother going all the way to Cork for a glorified friendly but my boys, god bless em, insisted on getting me a ticket for my birthday. Their long suffering mother indulged them, and me.

Comment

Utrecht against PSV. Utrecht have lost five games on the bounce as the magic conjured up by acting trainer Dick Advocaat vanishes in a rumour that he has already been headhunted by Feyenoord. Utrecht's next trainer, John van den Brom, is a dedicated student of the Dutch 4-3-3, possession is more important than winning, school of football. Ah well, it's not as though PSV are current league leaders and Eredivisie champions, is it?

Oh ...

Comment

Wimbledon v Burton Albion, hoping for a relaxing afternoon as I've already accepted The Dons are down and this season is about the Cup run and preparing for D4 next campaign.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-02-2019, 13:14.

Comment

Forest v Brentford

Brentford are undefeated in 10, have won their last four games at Forest and are scoring goals for fun.

I’m expecting a defeat. And possibly a brawl between Neal Maupay and Roy Keane.

Comment

Rochdale v Coventry for me.

Last weekend was a mixed bag. On the Thursday Port Vale maliciously postponed my second attempted visit to Vale Park, so I went to watch Bury v Crawley instead, and very pleasant it was sat opposite the Neville Neville Stand. Applause to Bury for getting the game played at all. Also applause to the cracking Full English I had in Bury, which helped warm the cockles.

This happines was tempered on Sunday back in London by watching my beloved rugby league team Wakefield Trinity get what I would charitably call a brutal dry bumming by the London Broncos. Beerwise, four looseners before and four emergency invigorators during the game didn´t in any way aid my enjoyment, although the youth who fell over and then pissed himself before half-time had clearly had a better morning's libation coming down from oop north than I had tootling over from East London.

Comment

Got carried away by the excitement of appointing Steve Bruce, the new signings and actually winning some games so off to Sheffield Wednesday v Reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                        Utrecht against PSV. Utrecht have lost five games on the bounce as the magic conjured up by acting trainer Dick Advocaat vanishes in a rumour that he has already been headhunted by Feyenoord. Utrecht's next trainer, John van den Brom, is a dedicated student of the Dutch 4-3-3, possession is more important than winning, school of football. Ah well, it's not as though PSV are current league leaders and Eredivisie champions, is it?

Oh ...
                        A fixture following which in 1987/88 a member of Bury's 1984/85 promotion squad was interviewed on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIl5NWadXgE

Kevin Young was a gent when I interviewed him. An FC Utrecht fan got in touch when my book came out, asking if I could put him in touch with the former playmaker. He's a PE instructor at maximum security HMP Frankland now
                        Last edited by Giggler; 07-02-2019, 14:37.

Comment

Bury are away at Morecambe. I've got a ticket and my girlfriend and I have a room booked for two nights in Lancaster, but a weekend up there is currently furthest from my mind unless I can shift this cold.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                            Normally a trip to Bray seafront on a February Friday night would be as welcome as going horse riding wearing a pair of sandpaper underpants but since the weather ruled out my first game of the new season I'll bear the cold and (probably) wet to see our last friendly before the season starts.
                            Which is your team?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

A fixture following which in 1987/88 a member of Bury's 1984/85 promotion squad was interviewed on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIl5NWadXgE

Kevin Young was a gent when I interviewed him. An FC Utrecht fan got in touch when my book came out, asking if I could put him in touch with the former playmaker. He's a PE instructor at maximum security HMP Frankland now
                              Weird, Young has picked up a Dutch accent when speaking English. A bit like this chap:

Comment

Yeovil v Grimsby. My first trip to Huish Park. Fingers crossed the Mariners can play like we did on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
                                  Which is your team?

Should've said, I'm Bohs.

Comment

FLDC v Hull City. A ground tick for me, but I’m not expecting to find it as quirkily enjoyable as several visits to the Baseball Ground in the 90s.

Comment

Thinking of doing a double-header of Mangotsfield United - Fleet Town and Barry Town United - Bala Town.

Comment

Probably Bootle v Winsford Utd if it's on.

First car rally of the year on Sunday, the Riponian stages up on the North Yorks moors.

Comment

Dockyard Derby. Top of the form table Argyle against third top of the actual table Portsmouth. It's a complete sell-out and we're in the section nearest the Pompey hordes which means that fuckin' bell will be clanging just the other side of the netting. A few beers beforehand should nullify it slightly.

Take a draw.

Comment

Bradford City v Fleetwood, I thought it was Plymouth but the above post made me look again. Plymouth next week

Comment

As a fixture I really fancy Dulwich Hamlet v Welling United tomorrow, but whilst it's great that Dulwich are home again, the downside is that atmosphere aside Champion Hill is not a great experience for an almost neutral - can't get a drink (of any sort), if you want to be able to see the whole pitch you need to get in really early etc.

So instead I'm eyeing up a first visit to the Menace Arena for Peckham Town vs Metrogas as I'd planned to go there for the game that David Bauckham photographed for the latest WSC only for something to come up.

Comment

Gillingham v Barnsley

I don't really want to go, but a) we're playing so well that I feel like I have to make the most of it while I can, and b) we play away at Bristol Rovers in the final game of the season, so I want to be certain of getting a ticket by going to as many aways as I can.

I predict two nil to Gillingham. In the rain.

Comment

Carlisle v Exeter - not expecting the continuation of the series of thrilling games the two sides had a couple of years back - the back end of whatever this storm's called should put paid to that. But interested to our new signings in action for the first time. Planned status - sober, sunset prospects - fair to good, will be towards the end of the match and skies should be clearing around then.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X