The new WSC with Marco Bielsa looking silly on the cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new WSC with Marco Bielsa looking silly on the cover

Arrived yesterday. I've flicked through it. The Hard News Made Easy cartoon about Brexit made me chuckle.

Interesting to read how many Brazilian footballers are rallying publicly round their fascist president. Good piece by the Hartlepool fan too.

Comment

Bugger, still haven't read the last one yet. Though it took a few weeks to arrive in the EU, so I'm probably safe for a fortnight at least.

Comment

Nice couple of articles on Scunthorpe's history as ground innovators, written by fans so infuriatingly there are no glaring mistakes for me to prissily correct.

Comment

Another WSC reader on this train. Unfortunately I’ve forgotten the sekrit handshake.

Comment

Harry Pearson's piece on the Sunderland Netflix documentary was so good that, as soon as I'd finished it, I immediately read it again. One to savour.

Comment

Agreed, it almost made me want to watch the series, too

Comment

I'm still reading February's (after all, it's still February), but I tore open the new one to read Harry's column, as it arrived much more promptly than last month's (or, rather, this month's). Having watched the first seven episodes of the Sunderland doc and quite enjoyed it (especially compared with the terrible Man. City and Juventus efforts), I was worried he was going to tear it apart in a way that would make me doubt my own analytical abilities. But fortunately that's not his angle. It is indeed the kind of film that makes you think, "Does anyone in football know what they're doing?" I had the same feeling watching Guardiola move magnets around a tactics board at great speed while his minions and players stood or sat there nodding and assuring him they'd understood what he was on about. Really? Ever since hearing Graham Taylor famously say, "Let's stick Wrighty on and see if he can get an equaliser," I've had the sense that everyone's a bluffer. Including me when I stand on the touchline twice a weekend.

But it's not just football, is it? Isn't everyone who does anything constantly thinking, "Am I any good at this really? When are they going to find me out?" ?

Comment

No, the Narcissists are still supremely self-confident

Comment

There's a saying that if you're not panicking then you don't understand the situation. I think that applies to most things.

Comment

Remarkable review of the Grobbelaar autobiography, not least because the first two paragraphs are particularly horrifying. It makes it all the more astonishing that later on in the book he says that Bury town centre was a no-go area to him after dark during his one-game spell with the club.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                        Interesting to read how many Brazilian footballers are rallying publicly round their fascist president. Good piece by the Hartlepool fan too.
                        I can't find the Hartlepool piece, E10. Can you point me towards it?

I also loved the Harry Pearson column. I read an article about the Sunderland Netfilx programme in last week's Observer taking a not dissimilar stance to Harry's. Like FIGS, I might possibly even an episode or two of the series now.

Another highlight of this month's issue was the letters column. I'm enjoying the correspondence raging about Middlesborough's attendances in the 1970s plus the debate as to where Watford's true position in the pecking order is.

Comment

Working...
                        X