No announcement yet.

We're a Selling League Now! MLS 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The horsemen of the apocalypse are clearly out for a canter as Michael Bradley is currently leading the Golden Boot race.

Comment

The Alejandro Pozeulo saga is over - he will join TFC once the Belgian regular season ends. Excited to see him play for us.

Comment

Robert Silverman had a good article about NYCFC tolerating extreme right-wing elements among some of their fans.

Comment

That is horrific.

Jesus Christ. I assume none of them read that Grant wahl book then? Becks did not come out of that looking good. Also a lot of it rang very true.

Comment

Beckham was really good at the end of his time, but he was nowhere near as important to their great run in those years as Landon Donovan or Robbie Keane were.

Comment

Statues are dumb.

Comment

I'm kinda partial to a Rodin and a bit of Paolozzi now and again.

Comment

I mean statues of living people whose main contribution to humanity is being good at sports. Their main purpose seems to be to serve as logical spots for fan/tourist photos.

Comment

I kinda like Tom Finney in Preston. He's not exactly living of course.
                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 04-03-2019, 22:45.

Comment

That statue is going to completely miss the ball.

Comment

Kenny Saief loaned to Cincinnati from Anderlecht; the Galaxy add Joe Corona on a free from Xolos.

TFC is loaning Ryan Tefler down to the CPL, and the Hamilton team there is going to open up all 24K seats in their stadium for the home opener.

Lakeland Florida wants to build a 3500 seat stadium next to the arena there, and a 6000 seat stadium is proposed next to a new 7,5000 seat arena on Long Island.

Comment

Alexi must be feeling a little slighted.

Comment

I am kind of looking forward to the new CPL. Not convinced it won't go tits up like the last one,in the early 90s, but it's nice to see all the excitement. Heart will be with Valour FC but practically speaking am likely to mostly watch Forge games (on basic universal local chauvinsim principles, York9 can go fuck themselves who do they think they are anyway?).

Comment

USL Championship started this weekend. Highlights are on Youtube, and my particular favorite so far is poor El Paso. 1st game ever, sell out the baseball stadium you're using, and you let Deshorn Brown, now of OKC, score after 20 seconds on you. Second favorite is the Nashville player who missed an empty net from about 2 feet after dribbling DCU reserves keeper. Third was the Vegas player who managed to launch a throw in directly into the Austin net.

Also, we have a Tom Soehn sighting-coaching Birmingham Legion and employing a couple of Revs rejects.

Frank de Boer's response to Atlanta's CCL and league start to the season was to say that the fans were spoiled from last year's success.
                              Last edited by jefe; 11-03-2019, 05:18.

Comment

Dutch managers are not made for MLS

Comment

Add another ex national team player to the indoor ranks-Jermaine Jones signs with Ontario Fury.

Comment

USA and Mexico are likely to be invited to the 2020 Copa America, which right now if going to be cohosted by Argentina and Columbia because hey let's fly 6K km at a time why not.

Beckham FC has decided they want to play at Lockhart while they get round to building their own.

Nico Gaitan officially belongs to Chicago Fire, finally.

FCC has 30K sold for the franchise home opener Saturday, and gets to host USA-Venezuela 6/9.

DCU v Betis is now confirmed for 5/15; Betis will also play one of the Chattanooga teams a week later.

USL is setting up a cup for their teams' academies, eventually becoming a league.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                      USA and Mexico are likely to be invited to the 2020 Copa America, which right now if going to be cohosted by Argentina and Columbia because hey let's fly 6K km at a time why not.
                                      Now, I'm not defending what is a ludicrous hosting decision (albeit one that actually involves playing the tournament in its home continent, and is therefore still preferable to the other hosting bids of the USA and fucking Australia), but that isn't going to happen. One group will be in Colombia, one group will be in Argentina, there'll be a semi in each country and then the final will be here. Which is still very silly, yes. But there's a good chance no one will have to travel the same cumulative distance as Argentina did during the Copa Centenario, say.

And since it's getting mentioned on here already, I might as well start a proper Copa América thread for this year's tournament and next year's. Was thinking of doing it yesterday anyway.

Comment

I assumed that would be how it was set up, with no flying for at least the group stage. It's just the sheer incongruity of splitting a tournament so far apart between co-hosts that made me wonder.

Orlando, Cincinnati, and San Jose are bad. Very, Very bad.

Comment

The 'Caps defence is a hot mess. Mind you if you so much as breathe on a player these days it's a penalty, it's ridiculous.

Comment

PM for Sam

Comment

I was ready to title a new mid-week match-going thread with some old NASL, Tulsa Roughneck/Derby County nostalgia banter, but as the international matches dominate I'll just throw it here.

Just back from NM United's 2-1 victory over the Tulsa Roughnecks. NM scores two w/in first 20 minutes and hangs on for their first victory after 2 draws. Good crowd, 8300+, ok atmosphere where we were sitting, though I think I'll venture behind first base for better enthusiasm. Their opening match was a sell out w/ over 12,500 in attendance.

The NASL Tulsa Roughnecks were my local team from 1980 to their demise in 1984. I saw probably 30-35 matches and regret not finding someway to get to Vancouver for Soccer Bowl 1983.

Here's some quick, up-to-date highlights.
                                              https://www.uslchampionship.com/news...e/show/1005961

The play is pretty raw, NCAA-esque, but great atmosphere at Isotopes Park and a full moon to boot. I will check out more games. May have to attempt a public transport/ground BB&F report.

Comment

The Gold Cup is set-beyond everyone from the Hex, it's Canada, Bermuda, Cuba, El Salvador, Jamaica, Guyana, Haiti, Martinique, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Curacao.

NYCFC are bringing in a Brazilian forward from Croatia.

Comment

Not sure how many people will be able to see this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47712560

Comment

CONCACAF Nations League draw was just done, matches this fall, and group A of League A is USA-CAN-CUB.

USA v JAM, 6/5, Audi Field, DC
                                                    Last edited by jefe; 29-03-2019, 00:54.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X