Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves on the terraces? The few matches on this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be a German word to describe that feat of footballing endurance but I can't think of one... I'll be back in Germany in March and was chuffed at getting myself organised enough to plan 2 games in a weekend, but that schedule was truly monumental.

Just read reports about the Lautern game in Münster and the incidents towards the end of the match: play was interrupted for a little while as some home fans tried to get into the away end. And all because of a banner, apparently - the FCK fans unrolled a banner belonging to the Münster ultras group Curva Monasteria, which had been stolen some years ago. The group itself had been dissolved shortly afterwards as losing a flag is a cardinal sin in ultra circles (according to the linked article...) and seeing their holy shroud re-appear in the away end was evidently too much for some to take, prompting them to invade the pitch to reclaim their treasured relic. The FCK fans then proceeded to burn the banner after the match finished, just to really wind everyone up, and the police are now investigating the whole ridiculous sequence of events - even though no-one is really sure if the banner was the real thing, or just a copy painstakingly produced to be consumed in the flames. And the police aren't even certain what misdemeanour(s) may have been committed, apart from the catch-all 'breach of the peace' for the home fans who ran onto the pitch. All seems like a load of fucking nonsense to me.

Comment

Are you kidding? There's a movie plot in there somewhere.

Comment

I didn't realise the Münster fans had tried to get into the away end, the ones I saw got as far as their own 18 yard box, then the riot police came on and they legged it back over the fence. We had wondered what it was all about.

My mate did most of the organising for the trip (he did 11 in 9 days around the same time last Year), so I can't claim much credit. It has been quite nice to sit down to a proper meal after eating exclusively in Train Stations and Stadiums for ten days. I do like a Currywurst though.
        Last edited by Merlin the happy pig; 04-02-2019, 20:50.

Comment

If you don't mind boring logistical questions:

Did you have a rail pass of some sort?

Did you need to sort any match tickets in advance?

Comment

We had a Euro Rail pass, which allowed us to travel anywhere in Germany for 8 days, which we had to fill in as we went along. We were there for 9 days so caught a Bus from Hannover to Hamburg.

We bought tickets in advance for 9 games, so we'll have to try and get a refund for the 2 that got called off. We bought the Braunschweig tickets on the day, as we hadn't planned on going there and Union - Koln had sold out, so it was a case of loitering near the ground and hoping for the best. The other 7 games I don't think we would have had any trouble getting in on the day, but best not to risk it.

Comment

Herzlichen Dank

Comment

A week in Germany doing the DFB Pokal last 16 games.

Eurostar faff last Friday with the first two to Brussels cancelled but eventually got there then a couple of ICE moves to get to Ingolstadt for the German MK Dons hosting Magdeburg. The ground is still dull and the home support none existent.

Saturday was a move over to Prague, but the back way via the branch lines to Bayerisch Eisenstein, the station is cut in half by the German/Czech border. The latter having the Saturday only loco hauled services to take skiers back to Prague.

The evening was Dukla Prague handball.

Sunday and Monday was a railtour to various regional breweries. Except 10” of snow had fallen overnight and it was a blizzard for most of the day.

Today has been the newly introduced direct service from Prague to Hamburg throughout. I had tickets for Hamburg v Nuremberg and watched the first half as Eintracht Norderstedt were playing Bramfelder in a friendly and whilst the main ground was dud, this was on their second pitch, which was required so I headed off for that.

Tomorrow I have a ticket for Hertha v Bayern, but there are a number of club friendlies announced, and a very use of the Kunstrasenplatz Clausewitzstrasse for an impromptu Hannover derby as 96 reserves take on HSC. It’s a waste of a 48 euro ticket if I don’t go to Hertha, but a morning at Miniature Wonderland and the quick hop down to Hannover will almost inevitably win out.

Thursday is the obligatory Wormatia Worms, this being a third team fixture in the regional winter cup on a plastic pitch in an adjacent village.

Friday, nothing planned so far, but probably Alemannia Aachen v Koln reserves.

Comment

The Return of the King

Comment

Funny how some upstart posts a 10-in-10 German trip and BBaF! suddenly re-emerges....

Comment

This evening I went to Ramsbottom v AFC Fylde in the FA Trophy, postponed from Saturday due to a snow cover. It looked like it was going to be a straightforward evening for Fylde as they took a two goal lead in a little over half an hour. However Ramsbottom scored twice in a couple of minutes before Fylde retook the lead just before half time. The visitors further extended their lead shortly into the second half but again Ramsbottom managed to come from two down to equalise. The hosts then had a good spell of pressure before taking the lead for the first time in the match, sparking a mini pitch invasion. There was one final twist as Fylde managed to find their own equaliser with a few minutes left, forcing a replay next week.

Second 5-5 I've seen in the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                        Funny how some upstart posts a 10-in-10 German trip and BBaF! suddenly re-emerges....
                        If you're gonna shoot for the king...

Comment

Yeah, but amongst groundhoppers it’s a bit more “I got da shotgun, you got da Farm Foods bag for life”.

Comment

Working...
                          X