Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves on the terraces? The few matches on this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloves on the terraces? The few matches on this weekend.

Bath City are playing Hampton & Richmond. We are third in the table but, after us beating Torquay and Woking losing their last match, we are easily the form team with a 9 match unbeaten run. H & R have one win in the last 5. Twerton Park usually has a great pitch but, as I have a supporters society committee meeting tonight, I am dreading being volunteered to clear the pitch in our new community club era. I suppose I can chalk it up, along with painting the grandstand, as a rite of passage as a supporter.

France v Wales in the Six Nations at the Stade de France tomorrow night. My two regular 6N travelling companions and I are taking our wives away to the match and for the weekend. I think I'm going to be visiting the Louvre on Saturday afternoon rather than being at a game.

Comment

Having not had a live game since October I'm back with a bang this week with two on Saturday, our so called summer season starts with the Irn bru cup quarter final against East Fife at 3pm then, hoping there's no extra time, it's off to Croke park for Dublin Gaelic football's first home game against Galway, all in all an arse freezing day.

Comment

Sheffield v Carlton Town, although in reality I expect that and everything else local will be frozen off and I'll spend the afternoon sat on the sofa watching the rugby.

Comment

They reckon they've got the covers down at Gresty Road, so hopefully it'll be Crewe (going for 5 home wins on the bounce) v Carlisle (8 wins from 9).

Comment

As much as artificial surfaces are something that fans and players hate, for lower league clubs they can be a godsend in getting games on.

Our game against Airdrie will be on tomorrow. I expect a fair few of our relegation rivals will have the weekend off.

Comment

As we are going to be getting a 3G pitch, I was wondering about this. Surely, regardless of the surface, the big issue is getting the snow off the surface? Also, it is often decided by the safety of supporters travelling to and getting around the ground, isn't it?

Comment

Supposed to be off to the Bridge for the feast for the eyes that Chelsea V Huddersfield will surely be but I'm in the midst of a bit of a family crisis at the moment so I may well have to give it a miss.

Comment

I'm off for a slash at the Den...

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                    They reckon they've got the covers down at Gresty Road, so hopefully it'll be Crewe (going for 5 home wins on the bounce) v Carlisle (8 wins from 9).
                    Me too, obv. This week has flashed past, so I missed out on starting this thread with the brilliantly punning title based on the potential state of the Gresty Road pitch...

So Solid Crewe

Anyway we're on fixed tickets so the "backstop" is being discussed in our group - my initial response was "the pub", but another of our party is trying to punt Wigan v QPR. Anyone know if you can buy on the day at Wigan? I recall in their Premier League days they were strict about this (as Roy Keane discovered).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      So Solid Crewe
                      Oh, I am so sorry. That is so much better than mine.

Comment

Clachnacuddin v Fraserburgh in the Highland League for me, although I don't think it'll be on.

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        I suppose I can chalk it up, along with painting the grandstand, as a rite of passage as a supporter.
                        Marking out the pitch is also a right of passage, something I did at my rugby club last year.
                        Last edited by Paul S; 01-02-2019, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Oh, I am so sorry. That is so much better than mine.
                          And inevitably apt - called off as I was typing. At least this time they called it off in good time, rather than the time they called it off less than an hour before kick off with over a thousand away fans in town.

Comment

Only one stand open, freezing weather, half-strength team trying to avoid further injuries in the FA Trophy against Blyth Spartans. Can't wait.

Comment

Clachnacuddin v Fraserburgh called off an hour ago due to a frozen pitch. Who'd have thought it?

Comment

I once spent ages scouring a map trying to find Clachnacuddin. The I found the Clach na Cuddein in Inverness and it was like "Light Bulb!"

Have seen the Clach play twice. Both in the Inverness Cup. Away at Forres and home to Elgin.

Comment

ICT vs Partick Thistle will probably still go ahead tomorrow in Inverness (undersoil heating having been compulsory for stadia which host top division games in Scotland since the late 90s), but I can see why Paul might not want to go to that. Hell, I wouldn't fancy it and I'm a Partick fan.

Comment

I'd go to that. I've never seen Partick Thistle play.

Comment

I have and I would still go and see that, not least for the macaroni cheese pie. Indeed, it was similar weather up there the time I did see them.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

And inevitably apt - called off as I was typing. At least this time they called it off in good time, rather than the time they called it off less than an hour before kick off with over a thousand away fans in town.
                                      We called off our match just now as well. Very sensible to do it this early. Some clubs in our division, for the moment, could learn from this...

Comment

We were going to see South Shore Lumberjacks v. Valley Wildcats in Bridgewater this evening - but that has just been called off too. Blue skies here but over on the other side of Nova Scotia, there's a general travel warning in place due to heavy snow and high winds, so the Wildcats are not attempting the journey. Sensible decision, road safety (in general, but specifically for travelling sports teams with the Humboldt Broncos case being heard this week) is a big topic here: outside of Halifax, there isn't a great deal of traffic on most roads and highways, so they get covered - and slippery - pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                          ICT vs Partick Thistle will probably still go ahead tomorrow in Inverness (undersoil heating having been compulsory for stadia which host top division games in Scotland since the late 90s), but I can see why Paul might not want to go to that. Hell, I wouldn't fancy it and I'm a Partick fan.
                                          Sorry, blameless, but a Thistle fan never refers to the club as 'Partick', shurely.....

Comment

I've seen ICT play before and the stadium is rather soulless. I might go, it will depend how I feel.

Comment

East of Scotland programme almost completely wiped out, if it somehow survives the snaw I'll go up to the Peffermill 3g for Leith Athletic v Hawick.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

Sorry, blameless, but a Thistle fan never refers to the club as 'Partick', shurely.....
                                                Only to differentiate us from the Inverness mob for the benefit of our English and Welsh brethren on here, jdsx.

Comment

We all know who Thistle and Caley are. Sheesh.

(Well I do, but that's the new OTF definition of we all)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X