CL players no longer "cup tied"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CL players no longer "cup tied"

Just spotted this in a UEFA press release. Players are no longer cup tied in the Champions League as of this registration window for the last 16 teams. I think the original idea behind cup-tying players was to prevent a club from signing new players short-term just before the semis/final, but with more strictly regulated transfer windows and registration periods these days that's not such an issue. It's just going to play into the hands of the big clubs though isn't it?

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsle...s+are+cup-tied
    Last edited by seand; 31-01-2019, 09:42.

Not necessarily, when Bohs beat FC Riga in the champions league preliminaries, a player called Mandukas Kalonas caught our eye and we signed him up, if we'd been able to play him in the following rounds it could have made a difference.

Comment

That's exactly what I was getting at El G.... big clubs like Bohs snapping up talent from the FC Rigas of this world ;-)

Comment

flattery will get you nowhere this season.

Comment

I've stated before on here that cup-tying players in this day and age made no sense and was one of the many anachronisms holding the administration of the game back (I know there's more pressing matters but one step at a time and all that). A transfer is a transfer is a transfer. Once a player signs for a new club, they should be eligible for every competition said club plays in and that's an end of it.

Comment

It's tough on the player though. I get Club A to the last 16 for the first time in their history but then score the goal that knocks them out.

In addition, I suppose, the integrity of a Cup competition is often associated with the belief that the same squad got it through all the rounds, although that's never really been true.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              It's tough on the player though. I get Club A to the last 16 for the first time in their history but then score the goal that knocks them out.
              That's the risk you take when you sign for a new club though. Goes with the territory.

Comment

Working...
              X