• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Hugh McIlvanney

https://twitter.com/theofficialfwa/status/1088601201288118272

Ach.

Comment

A journalist whose writing rose to the level of the events he covered - World Cups, Ali fights, etc. From the days I would spend 4 hours reading The Observer.

Comment

Ah crap.

Comment

Yes. One of the best in his field. Farewell.

Comment

Bugger it. Great documenter of the greats from the Ayrshire coalfields and other big Scottish managers. One of the few Scottish spotswriters to deserve the name, might be the best in fact.

Comment

When I was a kid I'd try and grab the Observer first every Sunday to read two things above all else: Clive James' TV reviews, and Hugh McIlvanney on sport. If Dad got hold of the paper first it was going to be a long morning, waiting while he read it on the bog.

Perhaps the best general sports writer of his generation (and he spanned several). RIP.

Comment

Fantastic writer. His contemporary accounts of the 1966 and 1970 World Cups are easily the best of their kind ever written - I wholeheartedly recommend scouring abebooks.com for copies of both if you don't have them.

Comment

Yes, Sundays from about 1975-1985 meant "The Observer" for me too and McIlvanney was a big part of that. A terrific writer.
                  His TV documentaries on Stein, Busby and Shankly were magnificent too.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    When I was a kid I'd try and grab the Observer first every Sunday to read two things above all else: Clive James' TV reviews, and Hugh McIlvanney on sport. If Dad got hold of the paper first it was going to be a long morning, waiting while he read it on the bog.

Didn't it come in various sections, though, or was that a more modern development? If the former, then your pa was really being pretty mean, if you don't mind my saying say.

Comment

He sensibly took the sports section first.

RIP. They really, really don't make sportswriters like him any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        He sensibly took the sports section first.

RIP. They really, really don't make sportswriters like him any more.
                        You're right, they really don't.

RIP to the best thing ever to happen to a sportsdesk.

Comment

Nice H Mc story from Clive Whittingham

"Back in the Italia 90 World Cup a group of the more senior, grizzled sports journalists on the circuit hatched a plan to get from a game in Milan’s San Siro Stadium one evening down to Rome’s Stadio Olympico for another the following day by hiring a car and sharing the driving through the night. As they were loading up after the final whistle, Sheffield Wednesday manager Howard Wilkinson came haring across the car park looking for a lift. He was there scouting for Bobby Robson’s England set up, famously reporting back that Cameroon were “rubbish” before the African side gave the Three Lions the fright of their lives in the knockout.

Begrudgingly, he was allowed to take the spare seat in the car but as the journey began it became clear that while the hacks saw the trip as a chance to catch up on some sleep, he saw an opportunity to make it clear just how much more he knew about football than them and set sail on long, drawn out, tactical breakdown of what teams were doing at the World Cup. This was stomached for a small while before Hugh McIllvanney, without opening his eyes, asked: “Howard, if you know so much about football, why are your Sheffield Wednesday team so dreadful to watch?” Another prolonged reply came forth, basically saying that if Sheff Wed had the use of Ruud Gullit, Franz Beckenbauer, Roberto Baggio and others then they wouldn’t play football in the style they did. McIlvanney came back on this without missing a beat, saying: “Howard, if Ruud Gullit, Franz Beckenbauer and Roberto Baggio were playing for Sheffield Wednesday, you wouldn’t be the fucking manager.” They slept in peace for the rest of the trip."

Comment

Heheh. I guess this just leaves Granville from that generation. And tbh he isn't fit to mention in the same sentence as the Great Man.

Comment

Wilkinson had been Leeds manager for two seasons by the time of Italia 90, although I appreciate that doesn't really diminish the moral of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                Heheh. I guess this just leaves Granville from that generation. And tbh he isn't fit to mention in the same sentence as the Great Man.
                                Played by David Jason?

Comment

Heheh, always do that with his name, like Craig Murray/brown.

Comment

And there are (at least) two Craig Browns.

Comment

Working...
                                    X