Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashton: weekend non-matchgoing thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ashes to Ashton: weekend non-matchgoing thread

    So

    Off to Manchester at the weekend, might or might not go to Curzon Ashton.

    (Can anyone recommend any non-Spoons pubs in and around Piccadilly?)

    And non-Spoons clones, either

    #2
    Rotherham United v Leeds United. Weather permitting...

    Comment


      #3
      Off to Germany tomorrow to see Hertha Berlin vs Schalke 04, hoping to get 10 games in before coming Home Sunday after next.

      Comment


        #4
        Cup fever! Welsh Cup fever! Barry Town v Cefn Druids

        Comment


          #5
          Guy - I went to Curzon Ashton a couple of years back and visited The Witchwood nearby. I can't honestly claim it would make a list of Great Pubs What I Have Done, but it was pleasant enough for a pre-match snifter.

          Not sure where I'll go on Saturday but both Parkgate and Maltby are at home so suspect it'll be one of them. Sunday I'm off to Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday - many thanks to Nocturnal Submission for fixing me up with a ticket. As I'm in the home end I've removed the Wednesday wallpaper from my phone and learned all the words to The Liquidator. Right looking forward to it.

          Comment


            #6
            Cup fever! Challenge Cup fever!

            I'm not going to make my original choice of Millom v Red Star Belgrade as its been moved to Sunday by the BBC for red button coverage (and what an unlikely sentence that all is). So it's the only slightly less exotic Distington v Torfean on Saturday instead.

            Comment


              #7
              Near Piccadilly I'd recommend the Piccadilly Tap just outside the station http://piccadillytap.com/

              Comment


                #8
                Port Vale v Carlisle

                Will be my fourth visit to Burslem, I'm yet to see Carlisle win there but if we're serious about challenging for promotion then it feels like we really need to win this one.

                Last game for Jack Sowerby before he returns to Fleetwood at the end of a loan spell that started modestly but has seen him grow into a really decent attacking midfielder - we've given him a chance to shine and he's taken it, like team mate Ashley Nadesan who went back earlier in the month and has gone straight into Joey Barton's first team.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Cup fever! Challenge Cup fever!

                  I'm not going to make my original choice of Millom v Red Star Belgrade as its been moved to Sunday by the BBC for red button coverage (and what an unlikely sentence that all is). So it's the only slightly less exotic Distington v Torfean on Saturday instead.
                  I am planning on getting to Millom on Sunday. This will hopefully be preceded by Northallerton v Billingham Town tomorrow then Craigmark Burtonians v Lochee United and Solway Sharks v Blackburn Hawks on Saturday.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Saturday afternoon will be London Welsh v Old Streetonians in a top of the table London 3 North West clash. The hosts are seven points clear of their second place visitors and a win would be a major step towards a second consecutive promotion in to the English systemís seventh tier. An illustration of the clubsí contrasting histories is that Old Streetonians were formed out of Shoreditch pub in the nineties (hence the name) and play on Hackney Marshes.

                    Saturday evening is Wimbledon v West Ham in the Cup, moved for BT Sport coverage. Iím hoping for a little light relief after two consecutive depressing home league defeats by a combined margin of 1-7 which have pretty much ended any hope of avoiding relegation. It could conceivably be another painful ninety minutes though,

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Orient v Maidstone, the sort of game even I would have been confident of us pissing to emphatic victory in a couple of months ago, but it's all a bit of a struggle now. Not so confident.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Premier Division has a weekend off here, so Sunday lunchtime game for me at Lord's. It will be St David's Warriors vs Southampton Rangers. Rangers are top of the First Division, and already virtually certain of promotion. Bad blood between these two as they met last week in the FA Cup, with Rangers winning 4-2, but St David's appealing against Rangers playing an ineligible player.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Oh aye.

                          I've already been told to foregather in the Piccadilly Tap

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Another shout out for the Challenge Cup. A GWR funeral means I am down south so it will be Royal Navy v West Hull at the victory stadium, Pompey. This is multiple dud from when Portsmouth RN were in the Wessex League.

                            After event from today was in Calstock. A wonderful view as ever from the football club.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Del Usory View Post
                              Oh aye.

                              I've already been told to foregather in the Piccadilly Tap
                              It really isn't too far - even on foot, not many places in Manchester are - to go and bother the shite out of EIM's gaff.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Cup Fever! FA Cup Fever! Accrington Stanley wham stadium for the visit of 'Frank Lampards Derby County'
                                I am making my cardboard fa cup now and have bacofoil aplenty at the ready
                                A 12.30 kick off is a shock to the system though. I may be dangerously sober for kick off

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by beak View Post

                                  It really isn't too far - even on foot, not many places in Manchester are - to go and bother the shite out of EIM's gaff.
                                  Must admit I preferred its antedeluvian incarnation 27 landlords ago when it resembled someone's front parlour.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Shrewsbury Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers.

                                    Any person referring to this cup tie as the 'Dave Edwards derby', while wearing a half and half scarf, should be escorted from the ground.

                                    Regardless of age.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Is Dave going to be playing, Nick?

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        Guy - I went to Curzon Ashton a couple of years back and visited The Witchwood nearby. I can't honestly claim it would make a list of Great Pubs What I Have Done, but it was pleasant enough for a pre-match snifter.

                                        Not sure where I'll go on Saturday but both Parkgate and Maltby are at home so suspect it'll be one of them. Sunday I'm off to Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday - many thanks to Nocturnal Submission for fixing me up with a ticket. As I'm in the home end I've removed the Wednesday wallpaper from my phone and learned all the words to The Liquidator. Right looking forward to it.
                                        That website would be more useful if it includes a "find us" link at the top.

                                        2/10

                                        Must do better

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Perth Glory v Newcastle Jets tomorrow. Glory's lead at the top has been cut to just 2 points having had consecutive 0-0 draws. Wednesday night at home to Adelaide was dreadful, played in cold, wet & windy conditions as the predictably hot Perth summer was suddenly hit with an unpredictable cold snap. But both teams played as if it was a hot balmy evening, with zero urgency and lots of misplaced passes. God it was pish!

                                          However the weather is back to normal and tomorrow will be 35C. Only 7200 there on Wednesday night compared to over 10000 when Sydney FC visited a fortnight ago. Quite a few fair-weather fans here in Perth.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            A minute's silence for that poor bloke from Cardiff. Hmmm, not convinced it's owt to do with us.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              We appear to be wasting time already Still, Leeds are diving already...

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                Fucking YES!

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Now we've a reason to time waste...

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X