No announcement yet.

2019 Copa Libertadores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it might be some of their players rather than JJ that Flamengo need to worry about. They were really shaken by Vasco's late equaliser and it was JJ that prevented Pablo Mari starting a mass brawl after the final whistle. In addition, Gabigol and in particular Bruno Henrique are showing real signs of arrogance and that they're believing all the hype.

Their last match before the final is at Grêmio who will be keen to avenge the 5-0 semi-final massacre. I don't think JJ will rest players as although Palmeiras have a tough run-in, they are quite capable of winning their last six games.

Comment

The 4-4 also means Flamengo can't win the title this coming weekend, which would have been a mathematical possibility had they won the game.

River lost at the weekend to Rosario Central, who were second best for 89 of the 90 minutes, but got the only goal of the game in the one minute they were on top for, right at the start of the second half. The defeat means River have lost seven home games in 2019, more than any year since 1983, when they almost got relegated. But they're a point off the top of the league, in a second straight Libertadores final as defending champions, and in the final of the Copa Argentina (they won their semi-final a few hours ago).

And Miguel Ángel Ramírez, Independiente Del Valle's boss, is Spanish, which raises the tantalising possibility of both of South America's top club competitions this year being won by European managers.

Comment

Just realized Enzo Perez is at River, one of JJs most successful player-conversions at Benfica, in contrast to his experimentations with a very young Bernardo Silva at right back in a preseason tournament Erwin and myself attended.

Comment

Flamengo are nearly there. They beat Grêmio 1-0 and if Palmeiras fail to win next week they will be champions.

I was wrong about Flamengo fielding a full strength side. Only three of next week's probable team started. But I was right about Gabigol's arrogance. He was sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee for giving him a yellow. He left the pitch baiting the Grêmio fans by counting off the five semi-final goals on his fingers.

Comment

I've got an affection for Bahia after playing intramural soccer in college with a friend from there.

Comment

Bahia are having a good season. No big names in their team but they play quick counterattacking football and are pretty good to watch. Manager Roger Machado is one of only two black managers in Série A. They were the last team to defeat Flamengo 21 games ago!

Don't know if you saw this recent article in the Guardian.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...al-issues-love

Comment

Anyone got an update about a UK TV channel showing the final? I can't find anything.

Comment

Beeb to show the final: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50503501

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

I'd watch this final purely for the classic kits. Sadly I have to go out very soon.

Comment

JJ rocking a Jimmy White vibe today. Both perennial failures in major finals, of course.

Comment

What a poor goal to concede.

Comment

Feels odd watching this on BBC2 when River scored and the commentator just said, matter-of-factly', "Goal.", not "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!".

Comment

Am I imagining this or is the commentator calling them 'Flamenco'?

Comment

Not a great game but to watch two of the finest kits in world football on hd makes it a worthwhile experience.

Comment

Bit better from Flamengo but they've got to go for broke now. Vitinho and Reinier on please.

Comment

OK Vitinho and Lincoln.

Comment

Oooh!

Comment

Goooooooooooollllllll!

Not exactly a deserved equaliser.

Comment

Hahahaha

Comment

River squandered plenty of good opportunities and there was a sense that Flamengo might produce one bit of quality.

OH MY.

Comment

Oh my God.

Comment

That escalated quickly.

Comment

Proper Solskjaer and Sheringhamed them.

Comment

Had it up to here with Warnock's co-commentary. Hilarious red cards now. Wonderful ending to largely tepid match.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X