X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuevo hilo!

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

Sorry for this very late reply, UA. Been swamped with work the past few days. I pay for Torguard so I can have a dedicated USA IP for IPTV but then I let that IPTV sub elapse since almost all of my viewing needs are met through DirecTV, ESPN+, and BeIN via Sling. Torguard includes a variety of options from around the globe. I can't remember the price on this one but it was good. Maybe $50 for the year. But I also have used Windscribe as a free app. Windscribe has limits but if you signup for a free account, those limits increase. And if you sign up they will re-set the limits after each month.

The trick for VPN is whether or not the site you are watching/visiting needs a dedicated line or can work with a general dropdown from the VPN client. For example, my friend purchased a dedicated UK line from Torguard so he can watch BBC iplayer. The iPlayer will not work with a general dropdown. I have no idea why. That's beyond my tech knowledge level. Similarly, DAZN will only work with a dedicated line if you want to sub to a non-US version of the app, but oddly some of them will work with a dedicated line outside the country to which the sub happened. For example, my same friend subs to DAZN Italy but using an Italian dedicated line gets him access to DAZN Spain (something like that--can't remember the full details).
      I know I could look this up elsewhere but I prefer the more personal explanations here. Please, what is a "general dropdown"? Also; "a dedicated line"?

Excuse my ignorance, by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I know I could look this up elsewhere but I prefer the more personal explanations here. Please, what is a "general dropdown"? Also; "a dedicated line"?

Excuse my ignorance, by the way!
        No problem. A dedicated line means that you have paid for your own IP so only you use that address. And that address can be wherever you want provided the company has lines in that country. I used the term dropdown, which would refer to having something like a bookmark in a web browser: you select the country you want to use for the IP. It could also just bee a button or some other method of selecting the country. You would not have your own line. Anyone who pays for the same VPN could use the same IP at the same time. Sometimes those choices can be very fast and sometimes they can fool sites into thinking you are in the country you have selected but for whatever reason a dedicated line seems to be way more effective. I don't know why. It's on my long list of things to investigate. Haha.

Comment

Thanks!

I need to sign up to DAZN...need to see Copa América...reminder to self...

Comment

We have the first 3 teams that have qualified to the 1/4 final in the Sudamericana: La Equidad, Ind del Valle, and Colon. Colon won on penalties, which were generally poor for two reasons: (1) Most players missed so they need to get to practicing. (2) The change to the laws of the game have created a situation where the ref is warning everyone so often that the action is completely drained from this form of ending a match. The effect is to produce a spectacle that is not as bad as extra time but pretty damn close. I have to say that the powers that be are working really hard to make one of the most exciting sports as dull as possible. And this is not just a CONMEBOL thing since CONMEBOL is merely implementing the new approach; I'm talking about every confederation and their bloated competitions and bloated matches in those competitions.

Comment

After what seems like an eternity, the Libertadores is back with three games last night including two draws for Brazilian teams in Argentina.

Cruzeiro drew 0-0 at a River Plate with two VAR decisions catching the eye. Marquinhos Gabriel's goal was (just) offside and River had a penalty correctly given in the final minute of added time. Fortunately for Cruzeiro, Suarez's effort was more like a goal-kick than a penalty.

Palmeiras fought their way back from 2 down to salvage a draw at Godoy Cruz thanks to Felipe Melo and Borja. It could have been very different if Morro Garcia had managed to complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot when they were leading 2-1.

In the other game, LDU had an impressive 3-1 win at home to Olímpia.

Fluminense's 2-1 win at Peñarol in the Sudamericana deserves a mention. They've been having a wretched time in the league and were without João Pedro but two Yony Gonzalez goals gave them the win. It was significant that they've at last managed to sign a decent keeper. Liverpool's Alisson was a bit out of their price range so they settled for his brother Muriel who had an excellent game.

Comment

In the third of the Brazil v Argentina clashes, Athletico Paranaense faced Boca and deserved a draw but Marco Ruben's last minute penalty hit the post and though I really like this Athletico team, getting a win in the Bombanero is probably beyond them.

Flamengo's Jorge Jesus saw his honeymoon period abruptly come to an end after a 2-0 defeat at Emelec. He's been slaughtered by the press for an unusual team selection but it was hardly his fault that two of their best players, Everton Ribeiro and Arrascaeta were out injured and that his players seemed incapable of stringing two passes together, even playing against 10 men for 20 minutes. To add to his woes, Diego broke his ankle

Grêmio overcame the dismissal of Pedro Geromel to beat Libertadores 2-0. They are nowhere near as good as the team of two years ago but always seem to do just enough to progress.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                  We have the first 3 teams that have qualified to the 1/4 final in the Sudamericana: La Equidad, Ind del Valle, and Colon. Colon won on penalties, which were generally poor for two reasons: (1) Most players missed so they need to get to practicing. (2) The change to the laws of the game have created a situation where the ref is warning everyone so often that the action is completely drained from this form of ending a match.
                  To be specific, though, what happened in that particular shootout was that after Lucas Chaves saved Colón's first penalty, the VAR spoke to the ref to tell him that the VAR system had gone down. The ref took a minute or two to talk to both teams and ask whether they were happy to continue with the shootout, which they were, and then after the third or fourth kicks had been taken the system came back up so he had to stop everything again to let them know that VAR was now being used again. This only got explained some time after the game, obviously.

Comment

It took me awhile to finish games. Although I really enjoy these tournaments, I'm feeling the opposite as cantagalo and felt like this is still too quick after the summer tournaments. Nacional gave up a very late goal to likely end any chance of advancing. I haven't been able to watch any of their league games recently but in the Libertadores, the solid defense has been twinned with an anemic offense. I'd be shocked if Nacional can do anything more than level the tie and hope that something positive happens with penalties.

Comment

Got my ticket for O tonight.

Meeting at 6, hope to beat the 2 hour traffic to the Defensores.

Comment

I needed that game to be a LIIITTTTLLLE more annoying.

WHOOPS, IMPOSSIBLE.

Great defense by L de Quito, tho.

Comment

Just watched the highlights and can understand your frustration. From the goalkeeper mess-up and the failure to take advantage of the red card for that appalling tackle to the missed penalty, nothing went right for Olímpia. Pleased to see LDU reach the last eight though, recapturing some of their glory days of a decade ago.

In the other games it was Brazil 1 Argentina 1 as Cruzeiro lost on penalties to River Plate and against Godoy Cruz, Palmeiras took advantage of one of those VAR handball penalties which was technically a penalty but before VAR wouldn't have been given and no-one would have complained much. After that, the floodgates opened and Palmeiras wound up comfortable 4-0 winners.

Comment

The worst part was from where I was sitting, I had a perfect angle of the trajectory of the penalty and could tell it was going out the very millisecond it was hit.

I have no idea why they subbed on the penalty, however. I have absolutely no idea.

From how LdQ was playing, I knew the game wasn't going to change that much after the red. They were defending so well, and you could tell Antonio Valencia had an incredible impact on that defense - especially defending the 1,256 crosses that Olimpia put in.

After the game was over, fireworks were going off all over Cerro land in Barrio Oberto (about 1/4 mile from the Defensores,) so we'll see if they can get past San Lorenzo tonight.

Comment

Forgot to mention Fluminense's 3-1 second leg win against Peñarol. Flu are broke and are having a torrid time in the league but they're well worth watching for their young stars. João Pedro is on his way to Watford when he turns 18 in January and Marcos Paulo who scored twice last night will probably be the next on a plane to Europe.

Flu's other goal last night is also worth checking out for Pedro's (the other one, not João) backheel pass to Yony Gonzalez.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TaqivYYLmg

Comment

My Ciclón co-workers and the paperguy who sells me ABC Color every morning had the best two days of quite some time. (The newspaper guy has a smirk and just holds up the backpage of the paper and simply says "Cerro" or "El Ciclon" whenever they win.)

Cerro comes back to beat San Lorenzo 2-1 on a espectacular diving header, and move past Olimpia to take on REEEVER PLATE.

WhatsApp is going to be HOT tonight.

edit - Thine GAME-WINNING DIVING HEADER
                                Last edited by jason voorhees; 01-08-2019, 01:15.

Comment

Flamengo already ties it up at 2-2 on aggregate in the first 20 minutes.

Comment

Score stays the same, FLA gets a great save in penals and wins 2-2 (4-2.)

AMAZING final 10 minutes, with both teams looking to win it in regular time. Emelec was a great challenger.

L de Quito, River Plate, Cerro, Internacional, Flamengo, Palmeiras, and Boca Jrs through. 93% of Gremio going through.

Comment

It looks like it'll be four Brazilian teams fighting for two semi-final places on one side of the draw and probably River and Boca surviving on the other to set up a Brazil v Argentina final.

Which combination it will be, I really don't know. On paper, Palmeiras and Flamengo are the strongest of the Brazilians but neither team completely convinces me. Palmeiras should have enough to get past Grêmio but it's nearly 40 years since Flamengo last appeared in a Libertadores final. They have a history of unexpected defeats in the competition and Inter will be stubborn opponents.

Comment

I think it'll be a superclásico double-header in one semi-final and a couple of Porto Alegre derbies in the other. Having said that, 36-year-old Daniele De Rossi's first Libertadores game coming in the altitude of Quito could be quite amusing.

What exactly was that Palmeiras penalty given for, cantagalo? Because on Fox Sports Cono Sur no one had any idea, and I couldn't see either. It looked made up, to me. Once it had gone in Godoy Cruz's inexperience really showed, though (Santiago García, 28, was their only player over 25 years old).

The Superliga shot their teams in the foot only starting the season last weekend. All four were going into the first legs with at most one not very serious Copa Argentina game under their belts to get match sharp, against teams who were already well into the new-season groove. Next year they need to consider starting the season earlier, but they won't.

Comment

History demands that Liverpool and Boca Juniors finally meet, after we pulled out of the World Club Cups in 77 and 78.

Comment

That was slated (on this side of the equator/Atlantic at least) a couple of years ago. Boca apparently sent a proposal to Liverpool suggesting they play a match to decide the 1978 Intercontinental Cup (the '77 version having been played by Boca and Borussia Mönchengladbach, your lot having deemed it beneath themselves, whereas the 1978 one was never played at all due to lack of available schedule on both sides).

Nothing ever came of it. Personally I think they should have set it up with the players who would have taken part in 1978. I'd have found that much more entertaining, I reckon.

Comment

I don't think Liverpool deemed it "beneath" us, but Bob Paisley remembered the televised bloodbaths that resulted when Celtic and Man United played Racing and Estudiantes in the 60s and didn't want to risk it. Which was a shame, because Boca were nothing like that and it would have been a belter.

Comment

Same difference. (For the avoidance of doubt, that was friendly ribbing rather than an actual accusation.)

Liverpool weren't the only European Cup winners who did it during that period, obviously.

Comment

Yes, that's right. Atletico Madrid replaced Bayern in 1974 and uniquely became the only club to have won the World Club Cup but never their own continental competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                    What exactly was that Palmeiras penalty given for, cantagalo? Because on Fox Sports Cono Sur no one had any idea, and I couldn't see either. It looked made up, to me.
                                                    It was one of the harshest VAR penalties I've seen.

Have a look from 1:30 on this video. The Godoy Cruz defender turns and as his left arm is moving backwards, it makes the faintest of contacts with the ball. I would argue that though the arm movement was towards the ball, the contact was involuntary and part of a natural movement but these days it doesn't take a lot to be awarded a VAR penalty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWn1ojSpQs
                                                    Last edited by cantagalo; 02-08-2019, 08:10.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X