FA Youth Cup 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FA Youth Cup 2018-19

The competition is in full flow now, with Preston v Norwich tonight being the last of the fourth round ties.

First, a reminder of this decade's finals:

2010: Chelsea beat Villa
    2011: Man Utd beat Sheff Utd
    2012: Chelsea beat Blackburn
    2013: Norwich beat Chelsea
    2014: Chelsea beat Fulham
    2015: Chelsea beat Man City
    2016: Chelsea beat Man City
    2017: Chelsea beat Man City
    2018: Chelsea beat Arsenal

Fourth round:
    Manchester United 1 - 3 Brighton & Hove Albion
    Liverpool 4 - 0 Accrington Stanley
    Crystal Palace 2 - 4 Bolton Wanderers
    Manchester City 4 - 1 Nottingham Forest
    Arsenal 5 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur (AET, 2 - 2 at the end of normal time)
    West Bromwich Albion 5 - 1 Queens Park Rangers
    Peterborough United 0 - 1 Bury
    Watford 2 - 1 Southampton
    Oxford United 0 - 3 Bournemouth
    Derby County 3 - 0 Sheffield United
    Leicester City 4 - 0 Crewe Alexandra
    Aston Villa 4 - 1 Reading
    Hull City 2 - 6 Wigan Athletic
    Gillingham 1 - 2 Ipswich Town
    Stoke City 2 - 2 Everton (AET, Everton won 3-1 on kicks from the penalty mark)
    Preston North End v Norwich City

Fifth round draw:
    Matches some time in early February I think.

Preston NE / Norwich C v Bury
    AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa
    Arsenal v West Bromwich Albion
    Everton v Brighton & Hove Albion
    Bolton Wanderers v Leicester City
    Liverpool v Wigan Athletic
    Derby County v Manchester City
    Watford v Ipswich Town

Heh, and I faithfully copy out all of those results and fixtures, and then I look for who is playing Chelsea...

But Man Utd put them out in the third round.

Here's the highlights of that win, but then they lost last night at Brighton. Which, I suppose, leaves Norwich as the only side left who have won it this decade.

Cue an exit at the hands of Preston this evening then.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 22-01-2019, 11:17.

Comment

Judging by that video, it seems that every 16 year old thinks that it's perfectly normal to calmly pass the ball into the corner of the net with incredible speed , from outside the box with either foot.

I supposed that's what you get when you've been watching messi since you were three years old.

Comment

Well... I don't think we can judge every kid footballer by Mason Greenwood's standards, either. He seems to be exceptional even by the standards of the youths at these top clubs.

Comment

Chelsea's winners from 2010 to 2014 will be aged 23-28 now. Did any of them make it with Chelsea or elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Chelsea's winners from 2010 to 2014 will be aged 23-28 now. Did any of them make it with Chelsea or elsewhere?

Very few have gone on to have careers at anything like the top level, but then again that's what you'd expect. Winning a national youth cup doesn't mean that every team member will end up a full international - looking good against players who themselves won't in the main go on to great things shouldn't blind us to the reality of the situation.

Of those teams, Jeffrey Bruma, Josh McEachran, Gokhan Tore, George Saville, Nathan Ake, Nathaniel Chalobah, John Swift, Lucas Piazon, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Andreas Christensen, Tammy Abraham, Dominic Solanke, Mason Mount and Callum Hudson-Odoi amongst others all have Premier League or Championship experience and a sprinkling of international caps between them. I'm not sure if that's any better or any worse than other FAYC winning teams in the past.

Comment

Well... I don't think we can judge every kid footballer by Mason Greenwood's standards, either. He seems to be exceptional even by the standards of the youths at these top clubs.

I wasn't so much talking about him. By my count he's the third man utd youth team striker this decade who can do that. I don't see Ravel Morrison or James WIlson lighting up the world stage. Both of those shone a lot more brightly in youth football than say Marcus Rashford, who has as many world cup finals appearances as underage caps. I was thinking more about how he seems to be just like a lot of the young England players who won those international trophies the other year.

One of the big problems that young players face is Summed up by something that paul merson says a little bit into this.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-01-2019, 13:42.

Comment

Line-ups from FA Youth Cup finals.

Comment

I'm not sure if that's any better or any worse than other FAYC winning teams in the past.

That looks like a steady stream of graduates to me (Bruma, hmm). Didn't the competition assume a certain inflated symbolic value in the wake of half Manchester United's winners going on to become the "You don't win anything with kids" league winners? Thereby setting unrealistic expectations for future winners.

Why are so many young people called Mason? Are they monumental?

Comment

3-0 to Preston, not long to go. Bugger.

Comment

Last ten minutes and it looks like all of this decade's winners will be out.

Winners in the 2000s were Arsenal (3), Liverpool (2) plus Aston Villa, Ipswich, Man C, Man U and Middlesbrough.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        Why are so many young people called Mason
                        looking forward to Mason Boyne making the grade at the Rangers

Comment

Fascinating looking back on the list of former winners. Bringing the kids through clearly didn't begin with the class of 92 - United's finalists in 1982 included Hogg, Blackmore, Whiteside and Mark Hughes, and Man City's 1980 team included Tommy Caton and Steve Mackenzie, who would both play in the FA Cup final twelve months later. So there does seem to be a more recent tailing off of young talent being brought through at clubs - not unlinked, clearly, to the modern trend for just buying proven international 21+ year olds instead of trusting your own 19 year old players.

Comment

Working...
                          X