Plane missing with Cardiff City footballer onboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane missing with Cardiff City footballer onboard

News breaking at the moment. The aircraft is still missing and Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala - who they have just signed from Nantes - is believed to be onboard.

It is feared Argentine striker Emiliano Sala was on a light aircraft which disappeared off Guernsey.

Story updated to say he was definitely on board. Awful.

Comment

Well.

Either Willie McKay is incompetent or worse -

https://www.theguardian.com/football...no-sala-flight

Claims he had no part in selecting the plane or the pilot.

If you were facilitating it it was up to you to ensure the safety of your client and the competence of the people you hired, you thick fucking dick

Comment

The pilot he hired (Henderson) was not the one who piloted the plane (Ibbotson), according to reports. And we have no evidence yet that pilot error was the cause

Comment

Either way.

He'd hired a plane to fly at night

Simple common sense demands you ensure it's a twin-engined one, and your pilot is flight qualified.

Comment

Of course, 28 year old footballers are universally recognised as paragons of such "common sense".

Comment

I'd say the common sense element would be the responsibility of Willie Mckay and his bloody sons to ensure the flight was safe (though I am prone to believe only the worst about that disgusting excuse of a human being/stinking agent)

Comment

I don't know if Mckay could have been aware of the pilot switch or type of plane used, as I would assume he would delegate that to the qualified pilot he booked originally. OTOH if I'm wrong the inquest will presumably raise questions about Mckay's role and we will have better evidence than now on which to make a conclusion.

And if we're blaming Mckay, why not blame Cardiff, who had 15 million quid invested in the player? I think it's one of those things where trust is relied upon and unfortunately betrayed in this instance, assuming the risk taken was too high in this case (an assumption which has not yet been legally established).

This is not to deny that the plane type was probably unsuitable. A quick Google, for example, revealed this finding from 2008:

The structural failures are accompanied by a long list of other crashes involving PA-46s. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, there have been a total of 165 serious PA-46 crashes, a rate of more than 16 per cent. These other crashes have been attributed to everything from engine failure to pilot error.
                https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle18447534/
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-01-2019, 01:44.

Comment

Bloody hell that's a terrible safety record for a "modern" aircraft, even without trying to fly it that distance, across water, in the dark, in winter. In my naivety I thought single ended planes were severely restricted in their uses.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Of course, 28 year old footballers are universally recognised as paragons of such "common sense".
                    Or, indeed, of the relative safety records of various types of plane.

Comment

Warnock grizzling about players not wanting to sign to the club because of what happened to Sala? What utter bollocks. They probably don't want to work for you, Colin and/or that club. I am used to him using any excuse to deflect blame away from him but using a footballer's death is appalling.

Comment

The wreckage of the plane has been located on the floor of the Channel

Comment

Well, that puts my remark in stark relief. At least, there will be certainly for the families if there wasn't already.

Comment

Body seen in wreckage of plane. Lets hope they find both bodies and bring some closure for the families.
                            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47118340

Comment

Here's hoping that Cardiff had insured their new signing.
                              '

Comment

IImpressive stenography skills from the “reporter” there.

It will not shock you to know that Nantes and Bordeaux have a different view of the situation.

Comment

I find the reporting (in the link above and by the BBC) of this aspect of the story very strongly slanted against Nantes with it's talk of "demands" and the paragraph below that could have (and perhaps did) come from Cardiff's PR department.

From Cardiff’s point of view, the priority is to establish all the facts around the tragedy. There is no suggestion that the Welsh club will not meet their contractual obligations, but at the moment there is a desire and determination to gather all the relevant information first – and that could mean waiting until an official investigation is completed
                                  A friend of mine (who follows Cardiff) rightly described the tone of the reporting as "Brexit language" on twitter.

Nantes are entitled to the money and owe some of it to another club. Cardiff are due to have paid an instalment by now whatever tragedy befell the player and are apparently insured. I would imagine Nantes budget is a fraction of Cardiff's and their need for the money pretty pressing.

Ha, cross-post with UA!
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-02-2019, 22:10.

Comment

Cardiff are probably stalling for time. The insurance policy will either require proof of death (which will be fulfilled upon discovery of the body) or will pay out after a set period of time for disappearance / unexplained death. None of that helps Nantes (or, indeed, Bordeaux), however.

At this stage I'm not surprised by anything Cardiff or their loathsome manager do, TBQFHWY.

Comment

When l'Equipe tracked down the Cardiff president for club, he confirmed that they had not paid Nantes what was due and then went on about how the important thing was to "respect the family".

Comment

Nothing says respect like reneging on a legally-binding contract.

Comment

It's what he would have wanted . . .

Comment

Why did the Guardian print a tarted up Cardiff press release?

Comment

See I didn't necessarily notice that it was basically a press release, because I was so darkly amused by its contents. That quote that looks like it could have come from a press release, looks like it came from a very bad press release, that winds up making the person issuing it look as fucking shifty as all hell.

Comment

That’s because it is too obviously odious for the club to put it out as an actual press release (which they have not).

It is much more effective for them to use their friendly stenographers with press passes.

Comment

I can imagine sports reporting being the one part of print media still as flagrantly corrupt and seedy decadent as 70s music journalism. Or just full of deeply pathetic people terrified of being frozen out by Colin wanker or whoever.

im sure Rangers must have given James Traynor a few free goes in the famously cops/huns frequented Weegie sauna back in the David Murray days, fuck knows what the Cardiff fanboys are getting out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X