Mellifluous footballers and clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
    I quite like the name Gaëtan Bong, but feel like it should end with an exclamation mark.
    This is absolutely just me, I'm sure, but whenever I hear his name I fit it into the Scottish folk song and nursery rhyme "Aiken Drum" as the titular figure.

Aren't a lot of mellifluous footballers names highlighted by their popularity as single chants by the fans, often with stretched vowels, Zouma and Giroud for example? Rooney was another. You need a good "oooooooooo" in there.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 17-01-2019, 12:00.

Comment

Tunji Banjo and John Chiedozie from the Orient side of the 70's. Dale Tempest. Queen of the South is a most eloquent team name, as is Nottingham Forest nil.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        Forbes Phillipson-Masters
        As in the "ay-ay-ay" chant: "Forbes Phillipson-Masters, we all agree, Forbes Phillipson-Masters ...". Ah, how one tittered.

In his day the name was ridiculously posh for football, but his parents were just early adopters (of the name, not him). When he was bullied at school he could not have known that a generation later we'd be surrounded by surnames as given names, combined with double-barrels (Bailey Peacock-Farrell).

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
          We used to play Drink While You Think as students. Footballers was our favourite category, as as a double letter reversed the game direction (I'm explaining this really badly, but the game isn't the point here, so just bear with me) we all became well versed in alliterative footballers

Jermain Jenas (send it back with Joey Jones) (send it back again with Julian Joachim)
          And once again in the opposite direction with Joe Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
            Nortei Nortey (currently at Dover) always raises a smile.
            He wouldn't if you ever saw him at the Racecourse.

I like any player name that fits nicely to the tune of "Have a banana!". Abou Diaby works particularly well as you can imagine him slipping on the peel comedically and spending another six months on the treatment table.

Comment

Adam Lallana is the absolute gift there, I'd have thought.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              Aren't a lot of mellifluous footballers names highlighted by their popularity as single chants by the fans, often with stretched vowels, Zouma and Giroud for example? Rooney was another. You need a good "oooooooooo" in there.[/COLOR]
              We had 'Nayiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim!' back in the day...

Comment

seand's list is beautiful.

used to play that name drinking game, but you had to describe the person as well as say the name. (eg" Slow ungoalscoring centre-forward" Robert Rosario! Send it back with "FA Cup cliché but fucking incredible best goal ever" Ronnie Radford. Send that back with "Hereford may have loved Ronnie but hated Brighton last-day hero" Robbie Reinelt etc etc

I came in to say that I love the Polish names - Andrzej Szarmach (awesome surname), Ryszard Komornicki etc. I always thought that Roman Kosecki was a fucking cool name.

Comment

We are Moralee men.

Say we are Moralee men.

Ooh ah

Moralee men.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Adam Lallana is the absolute gift there, I'd have thought.
                    Of course (as he whacks his forehead so hard it can be heard in space)! Almost as injury prone too.

Comment

Ahmed Elmohamady. Anatoliy Demyanenko (Anatolij Demjanenko as he was in the Espana 82 sticker album). Anatoliy Bishovets. Laszlo Kiss. Norbert Nigbur. Giancarlo Antognoni (if ever a name suited a player, it's that).

Pleasant game, this.

Bong is best as half of 'Bong; Dunk' in the Brighton lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        Ahmed Elmohamady. Anatoliy Demyanenko (Anatolij Demjanenko as he was in the Espana 82 sticker album). Anatoliy Bishovets. Laszlo Kiss. Norbert Nigbur. Giancarlo Antognoni (if ever a name suited a player, it's that).

Pleasant game, this.

Bong is best as half of 'Bong; Dunk' in the Brighton lineup.
                        We're gonna have to compile an onomatopeic line-up, but that's probably for another thread

Comment

Enjoying this thread. I just want to throw Zvonimir Boban out there.

Comment

This thread was also partly inspired by Oldham being linked with a Spanish striker by the name of Urko Vera, but I didn't mention it as I didn't want to go down the route of "hurrrrr, funny foreign names" (not that I think any poster here has done that). All I could think of was that by signing him we'd be entering the Vurko Era.

I wonder if there's mileage in a thread of footballing spoonerisms?

Comment

Not if you're Chris Gunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                                This thread was also partly inspired by Oldham being linked with a Spanish striker by the name of Urko Vera, but I didn't mention it as I didn't want to go down the route of "hurrrrr, funny foreign names" (not that I think any poster here has done that). All I could think of was that by signing him we'd be entering the Vurko Era.

I wonder if there's mileage in a thread of footballing spoonerisms?
                                It might be pushing it the envelope but it's the type of thing the OTF hive mind tends to thrive on......

Comment

Kenny Lunt was always a dangerous name for commentators

Comment

Gary Breen becomes Barry Green?

Comment

Instructing your defender to get 'nearer Kightly' might see him end up pursuing a demure British actress, with hilarious consequences...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        Instructing your defender to get 'nearer Kightly' might see him end up pursuing a demure British actress, with hilarious consequences...
                                        Very good.

Have I ever mentioned that I knew a girl called Julie Tipple who who had a sister called Nicola?

Comment

Working...
                                        X