No announcement yet.

Weekend Matchgoing (albeit the wrong sport) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One cracking finish, two own goals, one off the post, one off the bar and some suicidal defending.

The opening half at Turf Moor has not been without incident.

Ryan Sessegnon looks like a lovely player. Dwight McNeil is sparkling.

Comment

Bloody hell. Faced with a defence that the Keystone Kops would find embarrassing, Burnley decided to spend the entire second half giving Fulham the ball and defending.

Comment

Handsworth Parramore 0-0 Worksop Town

What is it with January? This is the third time in my matchgoing life I've seen consecutive goalless draws and all the instances have come in this month (the others were in 1995 and 2013 for anyone wondering). This was a sporadically interesting game, Handsworth had the better chances in the first half but couldn't finish, then Worksop clearly had a stiff talking to at the break and had the best of the second half, Kyle Jordan not converting any of his three good chances while the home side were restricted to occasional counter attacks. Things weren't helped by the far side liner repeatedly thinking that attackers behind the defender class as offside, which he did to both teams on multiple occasions. Worksop had a couple of late corners but didn't score and that's two goals in three games this year for me now.

Comment

Burnley owned the Premier League record for winning with the least possession and now add to it by winning 2-1 without having a shot on target. You've got your Theatre of Dreams, your School of Science but Turf Moor is turning into the Institute of Applied Shithousery.

Comment

The plan was to carry on ticking off the grounds in the Southern League Division 1 Central by attending Welwyn Garden City vs Peterborough Sports, however on arriving at 2 o'clock and not seeing a lot going on I popped into the clubhouse to be told the Manager had left followed by most of the players, so game off.
            The Groundhopper app came in handy at this point, showing plenty of games within a half hour drive of Welwyn, so I headed to see Harlow Town vs Haringey Borough in the Isthmian Premier. The home side started the day 2nd from bottom, with the away side top. So obviously it was a 2-1 win for Harlow who scored in the first minute of each half and missed a penalty near the end of the match.

Comment

Northampton 3-0 Carlisle

Ever wondered what the view looks like from that bank by the retail park where some tight arses choose to watch the match? I had, and with time to kill after a traffic-free run down, I had a wander round.

Had I known what the second half would bring, I might have chosen to stand there myself, as it would've saved me the sight of Carlisle shipping three goals into the goal that's hidden from view.

Strange game, as we'd matched Northampton during the first period, and could've easily been a couple of goals to the good if we'd been more clinical. As it was, we unravelled quite quickly and the caretaker managerial duo didn't make particularly inspiring substitutions or much in the way of tactical change. Keith Curle will probably be wanking into a sock tonight.

Comment

Northampton still haven't finished that stand then.

Comment

Not even close - though it is part-occupied.

Comment

Barry Town 2 v 1 Aberystwyth Town

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAY, WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! Haha, Connahs Quay lost at Carmarthen of all places, which means Barry are top at the end of Phase 1 of the WPL.

On the way in I met a German groundhopper looking for a programme so I walked with him round to the other turnstile. He'd been to the Cardiff v Huddersfield game a few hours earlier, which he said was absolutely terrible. Even before kick off he reckoned tonight's would be the better game.

Barry were 2-0 up after 20 minutes. Aber got a goal back with an excellent free kick in the second half. There was a ridiculous sending off in the last minute when the Barry wing back, Macauley Southam-Hayles, seemed to run into the Aber number 4 and won a free kick. It was a second yellow for number 4 who complained to everyone including the 4th official, Aber bench, Barry bench, ball boys and a photographer as he trudged to the changing room.

I don't think any Barry fans expected them to be top at this point. Next up, the Welsh Cup and then it's on to Phase 2.

Comment

Bury 4 MK Dons 3.

3-1 down with 18 minutes to go. Winner in stoppage time. We'll still talk about it 50 years from now.
                      Last edited by Giggler; 14-01-2019, 15:26.

Comment

Up early to get to Fleetwood in time to do the Parkrun there. A strong westerly wind meant there was the unusual situation that the final two kilometres were quite a bit quicker than the first two. Somehow managed to then kill a few hours, including a return trip on the ferry to Knott End, before heading to Fleetwood Town's training ground at Poolfoot Farm. This is where Preesall & Pilling, named after two villages on the east coast of the Wyre, play. All In all it looks a fairly impressive facility with numerous grass and artificial pitches.

Despite ths between third v sixth (out of ten) in Division One of the North Lancashire League, this match had promotion stakes on it as most of the other teams towards the top of the table are reserve sides and so ineligible to go up. It was a fairly competitive game and it was a surprise, given the chances, that just the one goal was scored. This went to the home side on the half hour and puts them in a strong position to mount a title challenge.

Comment

They have a 10k road race series in Pilling on Saturday mornings in the summer, one every month or so.

GB 4-2 Netherlands in the women's under 18 ice hockey. Fairly innocuous stuff in the first, goalless period, then GB scored early in the second, which was hotly disputed by the Dutch players and coach, but stood. That was the trigger for the great change and from then on there were numerous fouls and penalties, and the flood gates opened and the game finished 4-2. Clear joy and relief from the British players, it meant they finished a very credible third - they had beaten favourites Norway earlier in the week, beaten China but lost to Poland and eventual winners France.

Comment

My ice hockey finished Guildford Flames 7 Coventry Blaze 8 in sudden death overtime, which I think is the highest scoring match I’ve ever seen.

The Flames had roared in to a 4-0 lead within eight minutes, the first in a power play and then scoring three goals from three consecutive attacks. This caused the Blaze to swap goalies (I suspected their starting one got a knock which contributed to the flurry of goals) and they then went 5-7 up by the end of the second period by which time Guildford had switched goalies too.

The third period was tense and lower scoring characterised by multiple successful penalty kills from the home side until they finally managed to draw level. Neither side got the winner in regulation time but Coventry played a far smarter game in the 3 v 3 overtime, drawing the Flames on to them then scoring with a devastating counter-attack after 76 seconds.

A great game despite the frustrating ending and excellent to see some live hockey after quite a few months.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-01-2019, 14:55.

Comment

Perth Glory 4 Western Sydney Wanderers 3.

Crazy game this one. Table-toppers Glory maintain their 6 point lead at the top of the A-League scoring 4 times in 16 mins as they twice came from 2 goals down to beat WSW. It all looked over when WSW went 3-1 up after the 77th minute, but once Glory got it back to 3-2 minutes later they always looked like they'd get a point. But things got better when star striker Andy Keogh fell in the box with his back to goal and the ref gave a dodgy penalty. Glory scored and the amazing comeback was sealed.

Comment

Swindon 2 - 2 Lincoln. Well, that was an odd one. City playing utter shite for 30 minutes, launching it in the general direction of Akinde, giving him absolute no chance at all of winning the ball, and offering him no support at all when he did get it to feet. Swindon had looked the better side and forced Vickers into a couple of good saves. However, the game really kicked off once Bruno Andrade stupidly raked his boot down the heel of a Swindon player in frustration at not getting a decision. Ref saw it, it was right in front of fourth official and was a straight red. Fucking lunacy. He's not been right since late November and frankly, I don't think he's fully recovered from injury. Both Cowley brothers followed him down the tunnel briefly, possibly to ask what the fuck he was thinking.

Not long after, City managed to break the deadlock with Jason Shackell's deflected volley somehow going through the Swindon keeper and better was to follow shortly afterward when a hooked clearance landed at the feet of Shay McCartan, and he volleyed the ball first time from 30 yards over the keeper, in true Jeremy Goss style. Utterly fucking brilliant finish.

Unfortunately, that was as good as it got for Lincoln. Ten minutes into second half, Lee Frecklington was adjudged to have tripped a Town player in the box and the ref gave a pen. It was soft, but i'd have been howling for it at the other end. However, the ref had been fucking useless throughout (red card aside), booking players for every minor trip. Shackell had picked one up in the first half, and then stupidly harangued the official after the penalty had been converted, earning himself a second yellow. Pretty fucking poor for an experience centre half, and now he'll miss the Grimsby match. So for 35 minutes, City were hanging on at 2-1, with 9 men, and had been doing brilliantly until the inevitable equaliser a few minutes from time. The 9 that ended the match can be proud of their efforts, and to be honest it felt like a victory. Don't think i've ever seen us forgo a 2-0 lead and still be happy at full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  My ice hockey finished Guildford Flames 7 Coventry Blaze 8 in sudden death overtime, which I think is the highest scoring match I’ve ever seen.

The Flames had roared in to a 4-0 lead within eight minutes, the first in a power play and then scoring three goals from three consecutive attacks. This caused the Blaze to swap goalies (I suspected their starting one got a knock which contributed to the flurry of goals) and they then went 5-7 up by the end of the second period by which time Guildford had switched goalies too.

The third period was tense and lower scoring characterised by multiple successful penalty kills from the home side until they finally managed to draw level. Neither side got the winner in regulation time but Coventry played a far smarter game in the 3 v 3 overtime, drawing the Flames on to them then scoring with a devastating counter-attack after 76 seconds.

A great game despite the frustrating ending and excellent to see some live hockey after quite a few months.
                                  And how was the Spiderverse movie?

Comment

Very good, I started a thread in the relevant forum.

Comment

Bath City 1 East Thurrock Utd.

As I had this down as a "Before the Lord Mayor's Show" potential potato skin pre-match, I am glad that we held onto the 1 goal lead. I am sure there was no complacency ahead of the massive - in terms of potential points and crowd - Torquay game but, if there was, yesterday should have blown it away. I thought that, with the injuries and loan players departing, we put out the best team we could but we made hard work of beating East Thurrock who have put together a decent run of late and were set out very well to try and nick a point at least. As the cliche goes, a not-particularly-pretty win but the ability to get such results are the sign of a good team. 7 games unbeaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        At Ipswich v Rotherham. You over there, GO?
                                        Sadly, or rather happily, I was sitting at home watching Midsomer Murders waiting for the Beeb's version of Jeff Stelling to start...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Very good, I started a thread in the relevant forum.
                                          Ah, I'd missed that. There seems to have been a flurry of activity on there.

Great review btw. Has inspired me to try and see it.

Comment

Liverpool U23s 1-1 Brighton U23s

Been wanting to get a game in at the LFC Academy at Kirkby for a while, and tonight was the night.

Hectic scenes in the car park with Junior games just finishing and both the U23s and a women’s (possibly girls) game about to start, and different wristbands being dished out depending on which game you were intent on watching. On entering the small stand for the U23s match, you had to show your wristband, and one lad commented “Security is tight here, isn’t it?”, to which the steward replied “It’s a kids place, need to keep the nonces out”, though how they’ve weeded them out at the wristband issuing stage I’m not completely sure - maybe they all wear hats with NONCE on them.

The game was surprisingly competitive - quite a few Liverpool players with a handful of first team appearances, of whom recent debutant Rafa Camacho was the most impressive, scoring early and playing as a striker rather than the right back position he was given in the FA Cup tie at Wolves. I liked the look of the left back Adam Lewis, too. Highly rated Curtis Jones is clearly very talented, but needs to stop doing fancy flicks and backheels and concentrate on passing simple balls to teammates - he’d frustrate the shit out of me if I had to watch him every week.

The Reds went down to 10 in the first half when Dutch starlet Ki Jana Hoever got sent off for a rather soft professional foul, but they dug in and held out until the exact moment when I’d decided I was cold enough to step out the back of the stand and begin to walk back to my car, at which point Brighton equalised.

Comment

Working...
                                            X