Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Yes. maybe 'senior' is the way to go with this.

I'll admit that I'd forgotten that Estonian Cup score - despite its being only four years ago. (Shame they couldn't squeeze another in and claim the overall record.)

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Professionalism is always a bit nebulous anyway.... cup competitions will include pros, semis-pros and amateurs, many leagues do too. I wouldn't count any old pub league, but the Ecuadorian example is surely a 'senior' national level game though, even if it's not professional. Excluding it smacks of xenophobia. And the Estonian Cup is unquestionably at the same level of seniority/professionalism as the Scottish Cup (which of course only equals the "record")
    Last edited by seand; 14-01-2019, 11:10.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I don't think it has been, no, but its recognition nonetheless seems to be taken seriously by only a few sources - one of which is (rather annoyingly) Guinness. (Like you, I don't see how it can be included in the records, but there we are.)

Professionalism? Well, you kind of mentioned it in your last post! Sure, I used it upthread as a parameter, otherwise we're then looking to include any old pub league score - and I'll bet there have been a goodly number that dwarf Arbroath's or any of the others. Here's one example from 2010 (apologies for source):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...0-victory.html

If you'd rather, we can include all these but I'm not sure I see the point.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    I didn't bring up professionalism. The Ecudorian third division, imo, is a higher level with a much higher qualification requirement than the the early rounds of the 19th century Scottish Cup. By all account Bon Accord were a cricket club who fancied a crack at it. Granted it's a British record. And equalled in Estonia in 2015, in a national competition where the winners qualified for the Europa League.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E...6_Estonian_Cup

Adema's Madagascar nonsense was clearly a 'fix' but I can't find any record of it being expunged.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by seand View Post

Arbroath were professional in 1885??!! (and 1885 is pre-league so out of Rogin's range for this question!)
    The Scottish Cup was (and remains) Scotland's top-level tournament, regardless of the time of the game concerned or of Arbroath's own status. The two (non-adulterated) performances that elicited higher scores were not:

"In December 2000 Romanian side Carpati Mirsa beat Avintul Dirlos 41–0 but the result was not ratified as it was not in a professional competition, so Arbroath maintained their record. A similar situation arose in May 2016, when Pelileo Sporting Club beat Indi Native 44–1 in an Ecuadorian third division match." (Wikipedia)

(If Tooting & Mitcham won 41-0 in the FA Cup 3rd round, it would hardly be dismissed as a result owing to the club being semi-professional, would it?)

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    30 in 2 games for Wisla Krakow.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_W...%C3%B3w_season

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Arbroath were professional in 1885??!! (and 1885 is pre-league so out of Rogin's range for this question!)
    I always like the side-story to that Arbroath-Bon Accord game:

On the same day, 18 miles (29 kilometres) away in Dundee, Dundee Harp were also playing in the first round of the Scottish Cup against Aberdeen Rovers. Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-0. The referee noted 37 goals, but Harp's secretary suggested a miscount must have occurred as he had recorded only 35. The match official, acknowledging it was difficult for him to keep accurate details during such a deluge of goals, accepted the lower tally and wired the official score of 35-0 to the Scottish Football Association headquarters.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Well, there were a couple of games in non-professional leagues that have bettered Arbroath's total - but personally I wouldn't count AS Adema's 149-0 victory over SO l'Emyrne because clearly no competitive football was actually played in that match.
    Last edited by seand; 14-01-2019, 09:40.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

In fairness, Chelsea won an FA cup, and lost a charity shield between those three games though.
    ...as I pointed out upthread. (Apart from the Community Shield bit, which I forgot.)

Leave a comment:

• Stobart
    replied
    Rangers got 20 in two games in 1934. 14-2 at home to Blairgowrie in the cup (Jimmy Fleming scored 9), followed up with 6-0 against Dundee in the league.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Hahaha really? I've got to say that's pretty fucking impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

In fairness, Chelsea won an FA cup, and lost a charity shield between those three games though.
    They did indeed, sir, which is why I specifically stated that was three consecutive league games, rather than competitve games.

Actually, in that FA Cup Final Chelsea hit the woodwork five times in the first half. Wonder if that's anywhere near a record.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    The Highland League may be the goto place. I noticed that Fort William conceeded 14 last week but Formartine could only manage a solitary goal either side of that win. However Fraserburgh managed 18 in November beating Fort William 13-0 and Inverurie 5-0.

Fort William also conceeded 11 twice in succession back in August but that's the answer to a different question.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Well, yes, the intentional self-sabotage was largely my point.

(Own goals will have featured in many of the other examples cited here, however.)
    I'm big enough to admit I was whooshed there.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    Good research.

There was also Chelsea's last league result of the 2009-10 season and the first two league games of the 2010-11 season, (8-0, 6-0, 6-0). A 20-goal haul in three league games with no lower-league cup thrashings must be close to a record.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Well, yes, the intentional self-sabotage was largely my point.

(Own goals will have featured in many of the other examples cited here, however.)

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Adema didn't score any of those - the opponents scored 149 own goals as a protest against something or other.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

Only from a British-centric point of view. There've been at least a couple of higher scores in official senior matches around the world
    Well, there were a couple of games in non-professional leagues that have bettered Arbroath's total - but personally I wouldn't count AS Adema's 149-0 victory over SO l'Emyrne because clearly no competitive football was actually played in that match.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    (in two of the next three league games we racked up a 5 and a 4. Then Arsenal won the league, the dickheads)

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    In 1997/98 Manchester United got to 13 in successive league games. 7-0 v Barnsley, then 6-1 v Sheffield Wednesday. Take that, Yorkshire!

Leave a comment:

• Crystal Staples
    replied
    Stockport County have matched 16, a 13-0 win against Halifax followed a 3-0 against Accrington. They were in different calendar years too, 30th Dec 1930 and 6th Jan 1931.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I came across another team getting to 15 - Luton Town followed a 6-1 thrashing of Gillingham in division 3 south by putting 9 past Clapton in the Cup in 1927. Exeter scored 9 in the Cup that day as well which is why I checked but didn't trouble the ref's book much either side.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Ha - fair point! (And being World Cup qualifiers, they easily trump my yout' examples...)

However, I'm going to call in Rogin's 'Preston-ruling' here - otherwise Arbroath would've already won this at club level.
    Only from a British-centric point of view. There've been at least a couple of higher scores in official senior matches around the world

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    There needs to be a weighting for the tiers at which the two teams operate. Man City and Burton are only two tiers apart but it may as well be ten in terms of the financial gulf.

But then there's the stage of competition. These were the third round and the semi-final of Cups that are still regarded very seriously.

OTOH again, it was only a matter of time before financial doping created this kind of run of lopsided games. Snake's point a few days ago about apples v oranges when comparing eras is clearly obvious here. There's surely never been this massive a gap in wages across a full squad, even allowing for the fact that clubs sometimes filled out their squads with YTS lads in the impecunious 1980s .
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-01-2019, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Ha - fair point! (And being World Cup qualifiers, they easily trump my yout' examples...)

However, I'm going to call in Rogin's 'Preston-ruling' here - otherwise Arbroath would've already won this at club level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X