16 goals in 2 games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 goals in 2 games

I wondered if Man City's recent goal spree was a record for a League club (so taking out pre-FL Preston scoring 26 in a Cup tie against a rowing eight). I think it equals one.

Man City in 1987 followed a 10-1 thrashing of Huddersfield with a 2-1 win at Reading. Man United didn't score 7 either side of beating Ipswich 9-0 in 1995 - indeed their previous match was a 1-0 defeat at Goodison. Liverpool drew 3-3 with Villa after beating Fulham 10-0 in 1986, but did get to 14 in 1980, when they preceded a 10-1 win in Europe with a 4-1 win against Brighton.

I thought Spurs' 13-2 Cup replay win over Crewe in 1960 must be a candidate but no, that was bookended by the first game, a 2-2 draw, and a 1-1 draw at Preston. 15, then. However I did find one!

In 1971, Chelsea came home from Luxembourg having beaten Jeunesse Hautcharage 13-0, and beat Wolves 3-1 at Stamford Bridge. They'd lost 1-0 at Bramall Lane before travelling. So I reckon 16 is now a joint record unless I've missed anyone?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-01-2019, 09:09.

Good research.

There was also Chelsea's last league result of the 2009-10 season and the first two league games of the 2010-11 season, (8-0, 6-0, 6-0). A 20-goal haul in three league games with no lower-league cup thrashings must be close to a record.

Comment

If you want league only then going back to the 1953/4 second division sees Everton scoring 14 in two beating Brentford 6-1, then Argyle 8-4 in the space of four days. Add in a 6-2 away against Derby and it's 20 in three.

Comment

Gillingham beat Southend 8-1 and Chesterfield 10-0 on consecutive weekends early in the 1987-88 season, although annoyingly they drew 1-1 at Wigan in between.

Comment

Wednesday managed 20 in three and 25 in four in November / December 1930. 5-2 at Leicester, 7-1 v Blackpool, 4-2 at Portsmouth, 9-1 v Birmingham. We were top of the league after all that.

Comment

Man City's 16 goals in two games isn't a record anyway. Birmingham hit 18 in 2 games in 92-3 season. 1892-93 that is.
            Dec 17: Walsall (H) 12-0
            Dec 24: Northwich (A) 6-0
            Last edited by seand; 11-01-2019, 09:25.

Comment

Good old Small Heath!

Comment

Bolton at it too it seems.... 01-Feb-1890 Bolton 13-0 Sheff Utd (FA Cup), 08-Feb-1890 Bolton 5-0 Stoke

Comment

And my last contribution Preston bring it up to 20.... and they lost one of those!
                  18-1-1894 Preston 2-5 Villa
                  27-1-1894 Preston 18-0 Reading FA Cup

Comment

Another 16, both in the league - Tranmere followed up their 13-4 win over Oldham on Boxing Day 1935 with a more mundane 3-1 win over local rivals New Brighton 2 days later.

Comment

I have a feeling that Sunderland racked up two consecutive 8-0 wins back in the annals of history, but cannot be sure when. (They came mighty close during their relegation season of 1976-77, securing sixteen goals in three consecutive league matches - 4-0 vs Middlesbrough, 6-1 vs WBA and 6-0 vs West Ham. A run of form ensuring that my lot finished last that year.)

Unsurprisingly, Googling 'Sunderland 8-0' merely throws up a load of 8-0 defeats for said club.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      Good research.

There was also Chelsea's last league result of the 2009-10 season and the first two league games of the 2010-11 season, (8-0, 6-0, 6-0). A 20-goal haul in three league games with no lower-league cup thrashings must be close to a record.
                      You're ignoring their 1-0 win over Portsmouth in that season's FA Cup final which rather grimly gave the club its first 'double'. (If one were to include that, and the two previous PL fixtures - a 2-0 win at Liverpool and a 7-0 drubbing of Stoke, then Chelsea would've had a 30-0 aggregate over six matches...)

Edit: Broadening the remit to international football, I can recall watching (and writing about) Brazil's U20 team scoring ten in two consecutive matches during the 1997 World Youth Cup finals in Malaysia (10-3 vs S Korea, 10-0 vs Belgium).
                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 11-01-2019, 10:21.

Comment

If we're going to broaden it to international football, we'll quickly run up against Australia's 31-0 over American Samoa

Edit: which followed 2 days after a 22-0 win over Tonga.
                        Last edited by ad hoc; 11-01-2019, 10:27.

Comment

Ha - fair point! (And being World Cup qualifiers, they easily trump my yout' examples...)

However, I'm going to call in Rogin's 'Preston-ruling' here - otherwise Arbroath would've already won this at club level.

Comment

There needs to be a weighting for the tiers at which the two teams operate. Man City and Burton are only two tiers apart but it may as well be ten in terms of the financial gulf.

But then there's the stage of competition. These were the third round and the semi-final of Cups that are still regarded very seriously.

OTOH again, it was only a matter of time before financial doping created this kind of run of lopsided games. Snake's point a few days ago about apples v oranges when comparing eras is clearly obvious here. There's surely never been this massive a gap in wages across a full squad, even allowing for the fact that clubs sometimes filled out their squads with YTS lads in the impecunious 1980s .
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-01-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              Ha - fair point! (And being World Cup qualifiers, they easily trump my yout' examples...)

However, I'm going to call in Rogin's 'Preston-ruling' here - otherwise Arbroath would've already won this at club level.
                              Only from a British-centric point of view. There've been at least a couple of higher scores in official senior matches around the world

Comment

I came across another team getting to 15 - Luton Town followed a 6-1 thrashing of Gillingham in division 3 south by putting 9 past Clapton in the Cup in 1927. Exeter scored 9 in the Cup that day as well which is why I checked but didn't trouble the ref's book much either side.

Comment

Stockport County have matched 16, a 13-0 win against Halifax followed a 3-0 against Accrington. They were in different calendar years too, 30th Dec 1930 and 6th Jan 1931.

Comment

In 1997/98 Manchester United got to 13 in successive league games. 7-0 v Barnsley, then 6-1 v Sheffield Wednesday. Take that, Yorkshire!

Comment

(in two of the next three league games we racked up a 5 and a 4. Then Arsenal won the league, the dickheads)

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

Only from a British-centric point of view. There've been at least a couple of higher scores in official senior matches around the world
                                        Well, there were a couple of games in non-professional leagues that have bettered Arbroath's total - but personally I wouldn't count AS Adema's 149-0 victory over SO l'Emyrne because clearly no competitive football was actually played in that match.

Comment

Adema didn't score any of those - the opponents scored 149 own goals as a protest against something or other.

Comment

Well, yes, the intentional self-sabotage was largely my point.

(Own goals will have featured in many of the other examples cited here, however.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              Good research.

In fairness, Chelsea won an FA cup, and lost a charity shield between those three games though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Well, yes, the intentional self-sabotage was largely my point.

(Own goals will have featured in many of the other examples cited here, however.)
                                                I'm big enough to admit I was whooshed there.

Comment

The Highland League may be the goto place. I noticed that Fort William conceeded 14 last week but Formartine could only manage a solitary goal either side of that win. However Fraserburgh managed 18 in November beating Fort William 13-0 and Inverurie 5-0.

Fort William also conceeded 11 twice in succession back in August but that's the answer to a different question.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X