Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this kind of thing is generally frowned upon (and rightly so), but I thought I'd show you all my new illustration blog, as it mostly features drawings about football and that.

Pretty much every pen stroke I make is informed by the thought process: 'Is this good enough for those wingnuts on OTF?'. You lot set pretty high standards for quality writing and are adept at dismissing anything that's a bit rubbish or lazy. I've been a semi-regular contributor to OTF for six years and remain staggered (and a bit intimidated) by the level of intellect and knowledge displayed on here every day. When I started to compile my drawings, it's you lot I had in mind.

I'm not really looking for paid work through this blog. Without wanting to sound like the front man of a dull indie band, I just want to entertain my mates (you lot); anything else is a bonus.

It's early days and I'm still finding my feet in the 'comic' medium, but hopefully I'll improve in time.

Anyway, here it is:

The Sunshine Room

Also, referring to my target audience as "wingnuts" provides a brief insight into why I'm still working in an office and not illustrating full-time. PR was never really my strong point.

Comment

Ah, that's excellent, Big Daves. I love DC's face on the letter of application. I only ddn't get the crack about the lamp-post.

Saving the others up for tomorrow.

Oh, and you shouldn't be so modest.

Comment

Cheers Erwin. A few people didn't get the lamppost thing. It's a reference to Mussolini's demise, but it's a bit tenuous, yeah.

Comment

Ah, now you mention it ... no, it's a good 'un. That'll probably be just me.

Comment

These are great.

Comment

And deserve more exposure!

Comment

The Manish gag was my highlight, jolly good stuff BDG, ta.

Comment

Very good.

How long did it take you to do that Piccadilly Circus frame? The detail in that is terrifying.

Comment

Really good, Dave. Just what we would expect, but still really good.

Though the pedantic wingnut in me is compelled to note that Mussolini was shot by a firing squad and then strung up at a petrol station in Milan, not from a lampost.

Comment

Excellent stuff, thanks for the link BDG

Comment

That is ace, BDG. I am not sure what the state of football-related comic strips are like nowadays but they have always seemed unrelentingly shit. To have consistently good ones is surprising enough but the aforementioned sperm whale panel made me laugh out loud and I am not sure I am going to stop myself saying "Oh, this shit is unseemly" whenever Crystal Palace or Puff Daddy entermy life.

I like the fact that who have given a nod to us of a certain age who used to have light entertainment that mentioned Mussolini swinging off a lmap-post and suchlike quite often

I am now trying to work out whether ua has finally wrestled the Prince Of Pedantry crown off Why At Last

Comment

I just read the Di Canio one and it had me in stitches. Terrific comic art; economical, precise and revealing, particularly the facial expressions. Looking forward to more, BDG.

Comment

These are brilliant. I love the little touches, like the Palace player in the background, who appears to have just taken a fresh-air shot at the ball.

Keep it up.

Comment

The exploded sperm whale really is brilliant, BDG.

Comment

Concurred - mighty fine work, BDG. I've seen some of your illustrations before and these more than maintain their very high standard.

Comment

Followed on Twitter. They are very, very good. Is that a Gruffalo reference on the door of Lilywhites on the sperm whale panel? Porquoi?

Comment

It's a theatre next door. Is there a "Gruffalo - The Musical"?

Comment

Well you already know what I think. (You've already received pages 1-8 of my criticism, and pages 9-26 are still to come)

But never worry about promoting the cartoons on here. It's like Wingco's match reports - people like them, so they'll always be happy to see them, and their positive reactions will drive you to keep going. Spam away!

Comment

I love these, even without getting all the football jokes.

I do love a good comic. The little details are fab.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:

How long did it take you to do that Piccadilly Circus frame? The detail in that is terrifying.
                                          That impressed me as well. Great stuff.

I've bookmarked, but keep us updated anyway.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the kind comments, folks – far more positive than I could have imagined. I really do appreciate it and am encouraged to keep drawing. Like I say, I’m still new to this comic lark, so the quality will be a bit erratic at first, but as long as you keep reading, I’ll keep drawing.

So, in answer to a few questions:

Stumpy – It’s hard to pinpoint how long the sperm whale drawing took to complete, but I think it was around the length of four Mark Kermode film podcasts and a couple of Adam and Joe ones. As I’ve got a full time job, I try to commit an hour a night to drawing but tend to go into a bit of a trance and lose track of time. Honestly, when you’re sketching the exploded internal organs of a sea-based mammal the hours just fly by.

Ursus – heh, cheers for that. The great thing about drawing cartoons is that you can put factual errors down to the ignorance of the characters.

Kettle – Spotter’s badge for you, sir. The Gruffalo thing wasn’t really a knowing nod to anything, it’s just that in the pictures of Piccadilly Circus that I used as reference material, that was the show on at the theatre next to Lillywhites. It was just a happy accident that it was a show about an illustrated book.

Thanks again, people. You’ve made a young man very happy (36 is still young, right?).

Comment

Put me down as a fan as well.

Comment

Piccadilly is extremely good. If I were you I would push myself to do a few more of those bigger ones, it's where your talent lies.

Thank you for sharing BDG.

Comment

These are truly excellent. I've been giggling all the way through from "I have the balls of a Lion".

(I'm stealing that for personal bio use, if you don't mind).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X