No announcement yet.

Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, I'm fairly sure I met you during that season. Have we discussed this before on here?

Comment

Berba, that docco was made just as a curio I think - young film-maker living in east London making a pitch. In the aftermath of the Graham Taylor docco, they think it's a flier. They are then handed comedy/car-crash gold in a season that went spectacularly pear-shaped, with the club dicing with bankruptcy and managed by an inexperienced, er, maverick like Sitton (and Chris Turner, who sort of lurked in the background when the cameras were about).

Comment

E10, we had a PM about it some years ago. We met in the Alfred Hitchcock, when GF was - I think - trying to get the Orientear on board.

The premise was as you say. There were a bunch of us running a community arts group at the time, all trying to make interesting projects. I took GF along to the O's, she loved it, and - realising that Orient had very little idea of 'PR', and might be open to a documentary - had the genius idea of tying in the Rwandan Civil War and the O's financial plight. She approached C4 with some shots she'd done on our arts organisation's new video camera, (Stuart Cosgrove ultimately commissioned it) and off she went. Generally, 'access all areas', cos most people thought 'ah, a camera - any publicity...' and had no idea of the calamity to come. Unfortunately for me at the time - don't worry y'all, I'm well over it now - the calamitous outcomes extended to our relationship during the filming, with one upshot being that I've never actually got round to seeing the finished documentary. The rushes were very good though - she certainly knew her onions.

It's strange that it sometimes appears in my life again, via odd routes.
        Last edited by johnr; 14-01-2020, 19:56.

Comment

It was my then girlfriend that made the documentary, after I got her into the O's.
          Wow!!!

Comment

[quagmire] Awww riii' [/quagmire}

Comment

It's probably just me, but in the panel with Edward, the Queen begins to take on the look of Neil Warnock.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing Jason Cummings immortalised by BDG this week

Comment

Yeah, I daresay he's had something lined up for a while, but didn't want to be too, eh, premature

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                    E10, we had a PM about it some years ago. We met in the Alfred Hitchcock, when GF was - I think - trying to get the Orientear on board.

The premise was as you say. There were a bunch of us running a community arts group at the time, all trying to make interesting projects. I took GF along to the O's, she loved it, and - realising that Orient had very little idea of 'PR', and might be open to a documentary - had the genius idea of tying in the Rwandan Civil War and the O's financial plight. She approached C4 with some shots she'd done on our arts organisation's new video camera, (Stuart Cosgrove ultimately commissioned it) and off she went. Generally, 'access all areas', cos most people thought 'ah, a camera - any publicity...' and had no idea of the calamity to come. Unfortunately for me at the time - don't worry y'all, I'm well over it now - the calamitous outcomes extended to our relationship during the filming, with one upshot being that I've never actually got round to seeing the finished documentary. The rushes were very good though - she certainly knew her onions.

It's strange that it sometimes appears in my life again, via odd routes.
                    Sitton was my instructor when I took my FA Coaching Certificate in 2001. At that point I think he was working as a taxi driver as well as doing the odd stint as a tutor for the London FA and there was more than one reference to the documentary. He was an interesting bloke, combining warmth and some (surprising) softness with a hint of menace. And he was very funny. Sometimes inadvertently. On more than one occasion he stressed to us the importance of 'checking our stream', to make sure that we were hydrated properly.

Comment

He was my instructor when I took the course in 1994 (he failed me...), a few months before the documentary was aired. He demonstrated the most appalling misogyny during the making of the documentary - I mean, really appalling - that I struggled to appreciate his warmth. I also found out a fair bit about his menace.

Comment

Janet! - https://www.theguardian.com/football...anchester-city

Comment

Nice of Squires to reference My Chemical Romance's comeback too.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/squires_david/status/1222374180731019264?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It's truly wonderful today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...math-of-brexit

Comment

I hadn't previously realised that Squires 'Cum Dog' tweet above was referencing his most recent Australian sports strip.

What is the gong reference in this week's about?

Comment

Beautiful. Particularly pleased to see the “stunned rat in a bun” make an appearance, think that first appeared in a WSC many moons ago. Who is the person next to Piers Morgan in panel 2 though?

Comment

Andrew Neil isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      Andrew Neil isn't it?
                                      Thank you! Had missed the story but recognised Morgan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Johnson posted a picture of himself banging a gong to celebrate Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          I hadn't previously realised that Squires 'Cum Dog' tweet above was referencing his most recent Australian sports strip.

Excellent. Had missed the story that he's eligible for Australia.

Comment

The Winter Break - includes Sean Dyche.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-winter-break

Comment

For some reason I'm troubled by thinking about what's happened to the lid of League Two's wheelie bin.

Comment

Actually the lid of the League One bin is hinged the wrong way; the hinge should be on the same side as the wheels.

Comment

Who is that with Miler's kids?

I presume the Mourinho frame is an emo reference but I don't get it?

Comment

Are the people in the West Ham picture Gold, Brady etc?
                                                    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                    For some reason I'm troubled by thinking about what's happened to the lid of League Two's wheelie bin.
                                                    There was some story about someone proposing that homeless people sleep in wheelie bins, I presume that one of the lids had to be removed to make this possible. I only read the headline mind you and assumed at the start that it was a joke, but it wasn't a satire site

Comment

Working...
                                                    X